Promenade Hotel
$42
  • Restaurant
Brize(Liepaja)
$25
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsnice hotelplace to stayconcert hallstandard roomconverted warehouseold buildingwooden beamslots of characternice designold portsandy beachhigh classwide choicewalking distancenice stayfree parkingcentral location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I`ve just read few other reviews for Promenade and feel like I have to oppose.
I`ve had a few quite different visits to Promenade over the last few months. So I`ll say my words on some sujects, then mention some personal impressions, and give some hints in conclusion.

1. Breakfast. It wasn`t always the same, I guess it depends on a number of guests at the time. The more guests the wider the selection. When I stayed on a busy Friday night I had an absolutely fantastic breakfast with 3 or 4 types of pancakes, for instance, and good selections of everything else – just name it! On a weekday on the other hand they held only plain pancakes, and every other type of food was present almost without a choice. But still even then it was good quality food.
2. The place. Liepaja has much more to offer than just sand. The place has it`s own very unique ambience and might be possibly the most interesting town to visit in Latvia. It`s criminal at nights, and looks pretty neglected in daylight too, but it has an amazing history shining through it, brilliant architecture, and it rises a lot of thoughts and emotions at every corner. I highly advise it for historians and sociologists, all kinds of artistic souls, and those in middle-age or other personal crises.
3. Stuff and complimentary things. On my first visit I had to call in reception because our business room didn`t have bathrobes. But everything else you can imagine was present: shoo polisher, sewing kit, earplugs.. . Bathrobes were brought in an instance. On my second visit bathrobes waited for us in our standard room right from the start, but complimentary things consisted only of shower gel, shampoos, shower caps, soap and earplugs. May be that`s how they draw a line between classes, or may be - there`s just no consistency, and my guess is that the problem roots in cleaners who should check if everything`s in the room before the guest arrives.
* The idea came into my mind when one day I was standing waiting for an elevator and it came, with 3 or 4 cleaning girls, who were going down too… They didn`t even pretend to try to make some space for me to come in (well I`m not huge - I not even remotely big, and few other me-s could have enter - but girls just closed the door in front of me – laughing – and left me to wait some minutes more for the elevator to come back without them.
So - I really think they should choose or train their cleaning stuff as well as they do waiters.
4. WiFi. I couldn`t use it in one of the rooms, in one of their business rooms to be precise, so I got down to the lobby (but the lobby is very pleasant and calm, so it wasn`t a problem really. In other rooms everything was ok.

5. Leaving polemic behind.
It`s a beautiful hotel, made in old warehouse, with antique items all other the place, a lot of paintings in the lobby, pleasant restaurant, very relaxing atmosphere, and desperately thin windows for close proximity of a night club and prolific local spirit.
Hotel`s located on a pierce and they have a lot of yachts visiting at summer, mostly Swedish.
Standard rooms are ok. Business rooms are more spacious, and have bidet and gorgeous baths in addition. My business room somewhat lacked character, comparing to the flowering walls of standards. Some business, on the other hand, have a wooden wall, that smells like heaven. All the rooms at higher floors posses beautiful window views too.
Restaurant is very pretty and serves good and reasonably priced food, though if you choose to taste some local dishes you may be less pleased. But traditional food rarely is designed to please sophisticated tastes:) At weekends they are a bit busy as locals eat there too, but then they have lovely live music.
One thing I could complain about – we had a very tricky door once, the type when you have to spend several minutes sticking your card in and out of the door trying to get a green light.

Hints.
Liepaja is is an obviously criminal city, with a lot of buzz going on at night, and some unfriendly faces meeting you at day time even on central streets.
So be aware and stay safe.. Consider using earplugs at night. Ask hotel receptionist if their parking is guarded.

Room Tip: Check if your door and windows open right from beginning. If you don`t use earplugs and sleep thin - choose rooms that look out on pierce.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank benitahillstrom
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I was rewieving my notes from spring travel to Latvia and i understood that i have not written something i wanted to. About the hotel in Liepaja, that was a surprise for me. The city itself is small but it has its special aura. Our new friends from Latvia suggested to visit Promenade Hotel and it was great. We had corner room with great view to port of Liepaja. It is very good value hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JonatanFord
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I stayed 3 nights in this Hotel in Liepaja and it is the most expensive Hotel in these area. But my question is why? Room is cute and clean. But mini bar is half empty, the breakfast is more 3 Star then 5 the even do not have bread rolls, wi fi is not working and just 2 german TV Channel and 1 english. I stayed in 2 more hotels in Liepaja one 3 Star Liva and one very got 4 star Europa city. These hotels cost not even the half and the are much better then these Hotel what I only take because the 4 star was fully booked. So everyone who want to spend a lot of money for a hotel should go here. But for those which also want some more, better go to another Hotel!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank sailor1406
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights in junior sweet with sauna. Room itself was very nice. However the little things that should come with 5 or even 4 star hotel were not present. For example - no shampoo and conditioner. Only small bar of soap and 2 little bottles of douche gel.. Which were unusable since the gel was so thick it did not come out of the bottle even after extremely agressive shaking... The usual kits like showercap, sewing kit were not available. Toothbrush kit was available for extra charge of 1 LAT. Breakfast was quite horrible - meaning the food itself is nice - 3 types of pancakes, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, sausages, boiled potatos... 2 types of cheese and ham... one plate of fruits (which was always empty).. The bread plate was empty untill asked to bring more... The problem is that it seems there is only one cook to make breakfast for the FULL HOSE (as we were told).. And the waitress cannot keep up with all the servingplates that are getting empty. They are clearly not prepared for more than 6 guests at one time eating. So if you want to get good breakfast, it is better to get up at 7... They have one small fruitplate.. And if you are not catching the moment when it is brought, you will not get any... Overall i would rate this hotel 3+ or 4- stars.. By not any means 5 star... But considering the city of Liepaja itself, it is probably nice rating. The only really exellent thing about Liepaja is acutally amazing white sand beach... The beach would be highly recommended.. And if you dont expect 5 star standard.. you will not be disappointed also in this hotel .. It seems that Latvian standards are just way above the norther-European standards... But let me say again - room itself was very nice!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2011

All services were very good.
But first mistake was when we called the Hotel to book a room. All rooms were already booked until the end of March, and was only one possibility take family suite for 150 Euro per room&night. For us its sounds very strange. After question about same "Groupon" project. The answer was "no".
Second and biggest mistake was breakfast, as we understood reason was this "Groupon" strategy,
big traffic and only one cook and one waitress, and not food enough for all. in last 2 breakfast hours no fruits, no pancake, no scrambled eggs! even no black tea !!!:))
And we did not get the discount for the 2nd night (-15%) as promised on the website.!! During the whole stay there was no Wifi internet access available as promised too.
But any way hotel is really good !! Next time we ask to bring breakfast to room :))

Room Tip: Rooms with a view to Fontaine bar are noisy
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business