“Worth a visit”

232 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 271 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Karosta prison is something completely different from the usual sightseeing. It gives you an insight in the Latvian history when Latvia was part of the USSR. So I learned that the Karosta naval base in Sovjet times was kept very secret, even the Karosta Canal was never mentioned on the maps. My guide in the prison knew a lot of the history, spoke excellent English and i could ask loads of questions. So well worth a visit. And after your visit, take a walk around the old navel base. There are a lot of abandoned, derelict but still beautiful buildings. Empty now for more then a decade since the Russians left the naval base.

Visited July 2012

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Liepaja, Latvia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Not a genuine Soviet experience”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I love the Karosta in general, and recommend that all my guests visit this part of Liepāja. This prison, as a tourist information centre is invaluable for the region, and offers people some idea of what Soviet rule may have been like. However, I feel it's important for tourists in Liepāja to go further afield, and see the rest of the region which, in my opinion is more impressive, especially the Tuvie Forti (Nearby Forts), the Orthodox Cathedral and the unique Tsarist/ Soviet military/ architectural heritage.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Dzefrijs
Riga, Latvia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“It is what you make of it”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I found it very interesting, mostly because I engaged the tour-guide by asking questions and showing that I was interested. If you do a little research before you go, you will find that the place is supposedly one of the most haunted places in the world and was featured on Ghost Hunters International. It’s a shame the tour-guides don’t really mention this, as I think it adds an extra layer of intrigue in being locked up in one of the dark cells.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank ievag1
Helsinki, Finland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Interesting place”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

The prison was interesting place to visit. We used the local bus to get there. It was a bit difficult to find the place. We participated the guided tour, but didn't understand very much of the English of the guide :(.However, there was a dvd of Karosta prison playing in the cafeteria and it was a good thing.

Visited July 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 155 helpful votes
“interesting but dark”
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I was here a while ago as a part of my school trip, and we all truly enjoyed it, especially the boys.
Karosta’s prison is a place where dark past times come to life. In here you become one of the prisoners; you live experience what ever they would have in those days.
As it was part of school trip, most of the time we were giggling and not really thinking it all through, but now when time has passed, I am sure our reaction would be different.
At the end of this tour you receive a photo of yours in prison wear, holding your number, and a card stating your crime, which is a great souvenir.
I think one of the reasons why this experience is so believable is, partly because of the part of the city where it is located, it feel like time has stopped in the moment when Russian army left, half built and half demolished buildings, not many people live here, so the surroundings make his prison experience even more believable.
I can recommend it to young people or ones who are interested in history, but maybe this is not an attraction for families with small children.

Visited September 2010