“Not usually my thing”

Ranked #68 of 1,069 Restaurants in Tallinn
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The medieval restaurant Olde Hansa is the home of a rich merchant, whose guests enjoy delicious, authentic Hansa-era meals and drinks, true period music and always friendly service. All of the dishes on the menu, including many wild game delicacies, are cooked using 15th century recipes and methods. Medieval musicians delight the guests every night of the week except Mondays. Tallinn Card holders receive a sweet treat with every meal purchased - a bag of freshly roasted almonds, on the house!
Reviewed August 29, 2014

Olde Hansa is a medieval theme restaurant set on three floors of an ancient building in the old town of Tallinn. With the staff in costume and acting in period , candlelight and the menu to match it is aimed at the tourists and could be just terrible. What saves it is that the staff are so friendly and enthusiastic about what they do, and that actually the food is rather good. It is authentic feeling food, well prepared and tasty and gives you a chance to try game and rabbit, even bear.
Personally, I am not sure it really works for couples, but I can see that it would be a lot of fun if there was a group of you, especially if you had a few drinks first. Two courses plus beer for the two of us came to €70 so it isn't horribly expensive.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,057)

Reviewed August 27, 2014

I had dinner in Olde Hansa my first day in Tallinn, and I wish I ate there every single day. The staffs are fantastic, they wear all these medieval costumes, act and talk in a way that makes you feel you're in Westeros. I was walking up the stairs to the second floor when in the corner someone offered to pour water for me to wash my hand. I was totally geeking out. The food was completely medieval, I even ate with my hands, though I wouldn't say the taste was fantastic but it was pretty good. In the middle of the meal, we enjoyed a ladies trio playing music, you know flutes, tiny drums and so on they were amazing. And great honey beer too!

Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went this evening. Great atmosphere, authentic surroundings and costumes. You eat by candle light . Staff are polite and friendly. We recommend the honey beer and the mushroom soup was delicious. €74 for 2 courses and a round of drinks. Make sure you check out the bathrooms !

Reviewed August 26, 2014

This is an excellent themed Medieval Restaurant and bar in the centre of Tallin. The staff are in Medieval costumes and the food is presented in ancient style. It is a must for anyone who is on holiday in the area.

Reviewed August 24, 2014

i was in Tallinn last weekend for my birthday we found this restaurant on the first night but decided to leave it till the sunday my actual birthday. What a great find it was too all the staff were helpful and freindly, the atmosphere was a lot of fun you could tell a lot of effort had been put in. The most important bit is the food! It was fantastic the portions are generous and it tastes fantasic! Would definitely recommend to anyone in Tallinn!