“A mixed bag”

Controvento
Ranked #77 of 1,278 Restaurants in Tallinn
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: You will find us in the heart of Old Town, Katariina's Walk. Traditional, good Italian cuisine is offered in an enchanting atmosphere.
Reviewed August 12, 2019 via mobile

This restaurant lies in the very heart of the busiest, most tourist-filled parts of Tallinn, in a romantic Old Town alleyway, so it’s absolutely no wonder that it gets very busy. In Estonia where seasonal waiting and especially kitchen staff is not easy to find this unfortunately almost always inevitably means long waiting times when ordering food. All popular places have the same problem. And if they don’t, they are not that popular. This, of course only explains the problem, but doesn’t solve it for the hungry tourists.
Controvento has a lot of charm. Situated in a lovely setting they have beautiful space indoors and a lovely romantic seating outside in summertime. The food is a bit of a mixed bag - some dishes are wonderful (liver and fish), some just average (pizza). I guess it also depends on how stretched they are in the kitchen.
All in all - I think this place is better visited off season, that is anytime but summer. Venturing outside the Old Town and Kalamaja might give you better impressions of Estonian food and hospitality.

Date of visit: July 2019
Write a reviewReviews (833)

Reviewed July 23, 2019

We got a table from upstairs which was really really good. Ordered three different pizza for lunch and split them. All the pizzas was really tasty and well cooked.
Atmosphere in the restaurant was really nice. Highly recommended if you like to get good pizza in Tallinn. Price level is really decent.

Reviewed July 18, 2019

The restaurant was quite full and sat outside. I was alone so they asked me to move inside which was no problem. Waiter came by, took my order. He brought the wine quite soon but then, I waited, waited and waited. Finally my Bruschetta arrived. Like other reviews, the food is just average nothing special. Then waiting for the soup, then waited for the lasagna. All in all it took me 2 hours to eat and since I was alone, that's probably the longest meal I have ever had. About 10 minutes after I had finished eating the maitre d' came by and I asked if I could pay since customers were waiting to be seated. She seemed disturbed by this gesture as I said I could come to the counter and pay since my waiter was so busy with others. She said no, for me to wait, I said you can clear this table for other guests, let me pay at the counter. So I went, she was quite perturbed and then told my waiter that I had a serious complaint about him. I said in a not so nice tone that I had NO complaint with my waiter but with the kitchen! It's ridiculous to wait that long for basic food! Other than this again, the food is just average. Next time I'll try Amalfi and compare!

Reviewed July 11, 2019 via mobile

We called in for a quick drink on our way back to our apartment. Our experience certainly put us off having a meal here. We waited at least 15 minutes to be even acknowledged by the Italian barman (who was more interested in chatting and messing around with a couple of the waitresses) and this only after the unfriendly looking greeter heard me complaining to my husband just as we were about to leave.
The staff we witnessed were all very unprofessional in the attitude to each other and customers and the greeter would turn some people away who had not booked but give tables to others. It was quite shocking to sit and watch the circus.

Reviewed July 11, 2019

Food was really good, the cantarel risotto was amazing. Sadly the staff was rude, we arrived at the restaurant at 21.30 and they closed at 23. Under the whole service the staff kept looking at the clock and obviously wanted us to be done and get out of there even though there was plenty of time.