“Friendly atmosphere”

Tallinn Backpackers
Ranked #11 of 123 Specialty Lodging in Tallinn
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

This hostel has a great location, right in the heart of the old town. We stayed for three nights and we were lucky to have considerate people in our dorm. We had two early nights due to a fwrry to xatch and tours, and we slept through any noise. The hostel goes quiet aftwr 11pm so its not too bad. Our third night we joined in the drinking games, where staff make sure everyone is involved. The only problem I felt was fht one bathroom to eight people can be a bit of a pain. Otherwise great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Only stayed 1 night unfortunately but I honestly had one of the best night ever here in Europe! Its impossible not to make friends, the staff are awesome, the place is super clean. Pub crawl every night, cheap drinks, amazing bathroom facilities, great kitchen space. Love every minute even though i only had 1 night. GO IF YOU WANNA HAVE FUNNN!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The atmosphere in the common room is without compare, you meet so many people from around the world and make new friends, especially thanks to the "No Social Media after 7pm" -rule. I have nothing bad to say about this hostel (stayed there 4 times so far), and would recommend it :) The only bad thing about it is that one or two of the staff were quite rude, but that could be just a matter of personal chemistries.

Room Tip: If you want new friends, take the biggest (and cheapest) room. If you want privacy, take one of the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I will start this review by admitting it was a mistake for me to stay here. I originally planned to stay at the partner hostel The Monk's Bonk but it was full and they directed me to Tallinn Backpackers. I was desperate and most other hostels were full so I booked it without doing much research.

I spent three nights in this hostel and was woken up by the boys returning from the pub crawl at about 5am each night. Being woken up in the middle of the night by men joking and trying to trick another drunk man into getting into bed with you is not at all pleasant.

I was the only female in a six-bed dorm the whole time and there were only three or four women staying in the hostel the whole time I was there. It was a pretty uncomfortable experience. The boys in my room made no effort to respect my decision not to go out (I had an all day tour booked one day and an early ferry the other).

The staff were really nice and friendly. The group dinners were nice and even the happy hour drinking was enjoyable for a few hours but quickly got out of hand.

I think this hostel is most definitely suited more towards men and I think maybe that should be made clear on their website. I did not remotely feel comfortable here despite the friendly and informative staff.

Also one bathroom and toilet for more than 25 people is woefully inadequate. There was always a wait.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank wanderer1989
Reviewed July 15, 2013

First and foremost - this place is PERFECT for solo travellers. [Most of] the staff here are friendly and just want to get you to have a good time. The location was really nice - old town Tallinn is beautiful and they've made the most of it - and the rooms were decent. The common room was a really nice place to just chill out as well. Activities [including the sauna] seem to be on a weekly schedule though, so you may not get to experience everything they promise.
That being said, I was a bit conflicted by some of the staff's attitudes - some will punish you for not following every rule of their drinking games even if you're not actively participating, while others lambast you for your inevitably drunken resulting of the night's activities and probably would be better off working in an entirely different industry. It's definitely a party hostel, but I think there really should be a balance here.. only thing stopping me from giving it a 5 star score.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I stayed here once, maybe twice, when other hostels were full.

Bluntly; the place is like a college dorm; its party non stop. If you're looking for a peaceful night's sleep, or to get work done, forget it. If you're looking to party like college weekends you've found the right place.

The pubcrawl is exhaustive (they seem to hit at least 5 places before people start meandering off). They start off with shots, so expect a memorable night even though you probably won't remember it.

They do also have a wealth of information on other attractions in Tallinn, and all of the staff seem to know a lot about the city both the attractions and also how to get around outside the center.

I'd say it is the best at what it is; a hot spot for partying backpackers.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 25, 2013

A warning... this is not a place to go if you want to sleep a lot, but it's sure great fun, especially when travelling alone.
The people there are fantastic, they have activities in the common room every day until 11 pm, and then the "drinking tour" begins.
Great way to discover the city and to meet new people.
The rooms are clean but big (6 people) and mixed, and with a lot of people coming and going.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo