“Location and Friendliness Can't Be Beat; Value Can”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel CRU

Hotel CRU
Ranked #23 of 82 Hotels in Tallinn
Vienna, Austria
“Location and Friendliness Can't Be Beat; Value Can”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

+ The staff (apparently a family) is cheerful and friendly, something that cannot be taken for granted in an ultra-stoic Finnic land like Estonia.

- Breakfast is okay, but disappointing against comparatively-priced hotels in the area.

- The vaunted "Satellite TV" amounts to three channels cycling over and over from 1 to 99: EuroSport in German, YLE 1 in Finnish and ETV 1 in Estonian. Even the other two basic Estonian antenna-receivable channels (the ones that show English-language programs and films with subtitles) are missing!

- Hotel advertises "air conditioning in common areas" without mentioning that they mean a single feeble blower behind the restaurant counter that doesn't even reach to the seating area. The person manning the till is the only one likely to feel its effect. This during a 30C (85F), 94% humidity August.

+/- Internet is free and a strong signal reaches even the most distant rooms. But the hotel uses a cheap, ageing wireless router that often loses sync and must be rebooted.

- The staff was friendly, but somewhat given to B.S. answers. The Internet not working was variously attributed to a) "It doesn't reach your room"; b) "Wireless is affected by the weather"; and c) "We can't control it." (I showed them how to turn a router off and on, which solved the problem.) The paucity of TV channels was attributed to "a broken cable" that "cannot be fixed anytime soon." Please. A faulty cable is the easiest thing in the world to isolate and replace. No repair could be easier or faster.

+ The hotel is extremely atmospheric, being located in parts of two old 16th-century houses knocked together. Alas, there is no lift, and finding your room can be an adventure through winding passages.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Finnish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2011

All the reviews are spot on, in my opinion. Yes, there are stairs and corridors which won't win any points from dicky knees or wonky hips, but think of what you get! Staying in a fabulous location, in an ancient building with buckets of character and charm, a laid-back atmosphere, a most delicious typical Estonian breakfast, and all for very reasonable rates! As for the service? Well I often find that if you give a smile and a friendly word, you are always given one, and more, back. We had no problems as the staff were always polite, friendly and helpful.
If you want elevators, no courtyards, tomb-quiet rooms, a seperate reception/office, then go look at a hotel chain - don't bother looking at boutique hotels because you obviously don't understand what the term means.
Oh, and please don't complain about dirty rugs. It shows your ignorance of aged and well-worn expensive carpets.

Room Tip: Stay on the lowest floor if you have a serious problem with stairs. I'm fat and old but managed...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Nellie119
Hong Kong
Reviewed October 5, 2011

We only stayed in the hotel one night but if was perfect for us. The location is great - right in the old town - and the service is very friendly and helpful.Internet was free, which was also a plus.
The room was slightly on the small side but at least it had a bit of character to it - I'd take that over some of the big dull rooms of hotel chains. In fact, the whole hotel was charming, with lots of winding little corridors.
The breakfast was a nice surprise - they'd asked the night before what time roughly we would be down and when we arrived there was a platter of cold meats and cheese for our table, boiled egg, yogurt, and a couple of different ypes of bread. Sure they would have done hot breakfast if we'd asked but I was perfectly happy with the cold selection.
And all of this for a very reasonable price.
All in all, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I read some great reviews of the Viru Inn and came with very high expectations. For the most part they were met. The staff were helpful, the location was fantastic, the rooms were clean, the breakfast was tasty and the hotel itself had a certain charm.
I tend to agree with another reviewer in that the management should make a decision to be a restaurant with a hotel attached or a hotel with a restaurant, as at times it felt like one or the other (usually the hotel) was a bit under-staffed (office often closed) but usually I could get info I needed from the restaurant staff, and they didnt seem to mind me trekking thru the restaurant into the hotel. I would recommend and would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Wallasey, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights in August 2011 and paid about 68 euros per night, the hotel location is great so close to the Old Town Square, you won't be able to get a taxi or public transport to the door as it is for pedestrians only, so you will have to walk about 5 minutes. We stayed in room 4 which was a lovely big room, very clean, 2 single beds pushed together to make a double. We over looked the small courtyard and found it to be very quiet even with the close proximity to the street. The bathroom was lovely walk in shower was large and powerful. The hotel provided bathrobes and slippers for the Spa but we used these in these in the room. The television didn't really work only showed one euro sport channel,the staff said the reception was poor in some of the rooms in the hotel, the safe in the room had no key when we asked 'reception' by phoning we where told the past customers must have taken it ,so we had no in room safe, I have read other reviews which mentioned this as well.
The hotel is quirky and I loved this aspect, lots of little nooks and cranny's.
It didn't have a 'reception' it does have a room that looks like a reception but it seems to be always locked, you had to hand keys in at the bar and ask questions to the bar staff. When we asked could we use the Spa one afternoon we where told it was 25 euros for the hour, I thought it was free when you are paying to stay in the hotel, however I was informed that if we wanted to use it for free this was only between 7am-10am in the morning and we have to let them know the night before if we want to use it so it can be ready, so you can;t be spontaneous! Ridiculous in my opinion, who ants a spa that early in the morning it would be nice to use the whirl pool in the afternoon after you have been walking around looking at the sights all day for a relax.
The pizza restaurant is nice for lunch, much nicer than the pizza place in the square.
The staff didn't seem to be happy to see you or eager to please, and in I didn't find them very friendly at all.
The front door was hardly ever open, you had to walk in and out the bar area.
The breakfast was typical continental with meats, cereals, toast etc however when we came down the hot food was always stone cold.
If it was for location and something unique I would stay here again and probably recommend for those points but for friendly service and quality definitely not.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
North Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I loved Tallinn, a beautiful historical city with a really vibrant and energetic feel to it. Not so keen on the Viru Inn, probably because it describes itself as a 'luxury boutique' hotel and a couple of other guides I read listed it in the 'luxury' category and it's very far from luxury, I would give it no more than a so-so 2 star rating. Pros = it's very central and convenient for all the sights of Tallinn, my bed was comfortable, the room was quiet and I slept well (once I turned off the very noisy in-room fridge) and 75 euros with breakfast for a single room in a capital city is a good price, breakfast was ok, a typical european selection of cold meats, eggs, cereal, yougurt and salad.
Cons = the room was grubby and the carpet very badly stained, the hotel is very old but is not particularly attractive - the public areas inside are like a stone lined warren. The tv varied between 2 channels and no channels. the tolietries consisted of a soap dispenser in the shower cubicle, the bathroom was tidy but not very clean, there is no reception to speak of - you do most of the key handling and checking out with the staff in the adjoining pizza restaurant. I think I'd be less critical if it described itself as what it is - a pizza restaurant with rooms rather than a 4 star hotel. I would definitely go back to Tallinn and highly recommend it as a holiday destination but I would not go back to, or recommend, Viru Inn. I had 2 very good though pricey meals while I was there, at Tchaikovsky at the Telegraaf Hotel and Bordoo at the 3 Sisters hotel. Le Bonaparte cafe is also very nice.

Room Tip: I booked through easytobook
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Aberfeldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Viru Inn for three nights on a city break with a Ryanair flight from Edinburgh, the hotel is a bit cookie and very laid back with a very informal check in at the hotel bar (after office hours) our room was on the first floor (85 euros a night) it was small but clean although the carpet was very stained, bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet at night as it looked over a small courtyard at the side of the hotel, breakfast was very basic but enjoyable, the tv in the room only had two channels strangely enough, an Estonian entertainment channel and Eurosport in German?!? Tallinn is fabulous and this hotel has a brilliant location right in the center of the old town, you have to walk about three hundred yards from Viru Gate as it is pedestrianized so may be a bit of a hassle for older couples as it is not easy lugging cases along cobbled streets, all in all we had a great time at this hotel and it was well worth the money we paid.

Room Tip: front rooms may be noisy overlooking the street
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple