“Hotel a un prix raisonnable et une situation exceptionnelle!”

Kalev Spa Hotel & Waterpark
Ranked #20 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We spent 4 nights there with my boyfriend Begining of jan. the situation of the hotel is great, you can access from there all points of interest by foot. The hotel, room and spa were clean. The rooms are spacious and clean. 2 little down sides were, not enough towels particularly cause you have to use those in your room to go to the swimming pool and spa, and also I thought it was very hot in the room (in winter) my bf though thought it was ok.
The pool and spa are great and very clean.
A bit crowded sometimes in the evening but nothing too bad. The breakfast is not bad but simple.
In general I would say that this is a good value for what you get.

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I could hear everything going on in the corridor, the door was not soundproof enough. I was also very unfortunate to get a room opposite of the staff elevator - most noise gave from there. Staff was yelling and laughing in front of it very loudly.
Also the staff in general is very unfriendly. Just not interested in guests.
But the hotel is in a good location and the rooms are ok.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kidra
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I booked my on-again-off-again stay in Tallinn at the Kalev Spa Hotel because of its liberal cancellation policy, something the pretty boutique hotels of Tallin's Old Town don't have. Plus it was cheap. And I must say, overall I was very pleasantly surprised. True, this place feels slightly bizarre - less of a 'spa' hotel than a post-Soviet building attached to a municipal swimming pool. Even the lobby smells of chlorine. But don't let this put you off. My spacious 'spa class' room, while a touch on the spartan side, was spacious, functional, spotless and very comfortable. The large and private balcony had views over the Old Town and the harbour. I also found this place to be quiet, and as close to the Old Town as you can get without being right in it. Unlimited use of the 'water park' was included in the room rate, as was an adequate breakfast. The reception staff were extremely pleasant and helpful; for this service factor alone I would happily stay here again. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Go for the spa class rooms on the 5th (top) floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I wasn't sure exactly what to expect when I booked a Mini Spa holiday for my family 23.-25.10. at Kalev Spa Hotel. I had read some excellent as well as terrible reviews from this site beforehand, and was kind of hoping that at least we'd be lucky with our experience. :) Well, our experience was somewhere in the middle, so I gave it three stars. Could have given four as well, but some details dropped the score a little. But then again, it IS a three star hotel. There are pros as well as cons, but one thing people shouldn't do is go to a three star hotel, expect it to have all the features and quality of a four or five star hotel, and then write an angry one star review because it didn't have them. The hotel for sure is not terrible, nor is it excellent but it's enjoyable enough to have a nice vacation.

+ Location. Couldn't be better, right next to the beautiful old city center with masses of wonderful restaurants and little boutiques within short walking distance. Also a short walk from the harbour.

+ Spa. Free use for hotel guests! It's clean and spacious, and wasn't too full of people either. Nice pools for kids and for relaxation, as well as the luxurious 50 meter pool plus some water slides. We enjoyed this very much.

+ Treatments. We had some and they were ok. Me and my wife tried a massage which was nice, a massage chair which was pretty relaxing and the salt chamber. Not really sure about that, didn't feel anything special but I guess it isn't bad for you either.

+ Overall condition. The hotel looks pretty modern and doesn't have any major maintenance issues. Some details (colours, materials) can be a little dated, but nothing that bothered us too much.

+ Staff. Friendly, helpful people. Didn't see any of the grumpiness reported by some reviewers. And one should keep in mind that there are different cultures. Estonians (or Finns, for that matter) don't have the bright 24/7 smile on there faces like the Thai people for example, but that doesn't mean that they are being rude or impolite. And being friendly yourself you are surely more likely to get treated friendly in return.

- The hotel offers free wi-fi in the rooms, but it didn't work in our room. My computer found the Kalev network but said that it was out of range. And I have a brand new Macbook Pro. Our room was at the end of a corridor, next to the outdoor wall but that shouldn't be a reason for the wi-fi not to work properly. The signal was too weak I guess.This was the biggest dissapointment for us. The wi-fi worked just fine in the lobby, for example, but we couldn't use it in our room.

- Restaurants. The food was good, but there didn't seem to be enough of it. We payed for half board, and on every meal they ran out of something in the buffet restaurant. One day it was something from the main course, the other day the dessert. That shouldn't happen even in a three star hotel. The day we left we had lunch in the a la carte restaurant which had an interesting menu, but even there I had to change my order because they didn't have what I ordered (duck). As I said, the food itself was of a good quality, and the breakfast (that has made some reviewers so mad) was just fine. Not a big selection or anything fancy, but good quality and vast enough to fill your stomach. Once again, don't expect too much from a three star hotel. It's your own fault if you do.

- Overall equipment. The hotel did seem to run out of some other things as well, like spa sandals that you were supposed to be able to buy from the reception, and childrens bath ropes that we were supposed to have in our room for free. They did find a bath rope of some kind for our daughter when we asked for it. The receptionist's excuse was that the hotel is so fully booked (and I guess that would have been the reason for the lack of food too), but that's not an acceptable explanation. They should have enough equipment/food/anything for every single customer that they book in, or they shouldn't book the hotel so full then.

- Some other minor things in our room; not big enough to complain for the staff, but big enough to remind you that this indeed is not a four or a five star hotel.

All in all, we had a nice and enjoyable family vacation. Would we go back? Yes we would. The positive things outweigh the negative ones. Also, it's not too expensive compared to some other hotels.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sellisti
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I rather liked this hotel, I asked for a room at the end of the hall way and it felt a little like a suite. The room was a nice size, well presented and clean. One of the down sides is that there is no door on the shower!, water does tend to go everywhere.

The facilities on offer was an olympic size swimming pool along with a few other features. I didn't go in the pool as it was packed full of locals, but I did use the steam room and sauna.

I didn't think much of the breakfast bar, there were a few bits to eat, but it was kinda pathetic looking. Probably the best thing is the location, right next to the old town. For those that do choose this hotel, I'd suggest go for the end of the hall if you can or upgrade to a suite.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Govvy
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

I booked this because of the pool and sauna as well as the location near the old town. I was sorely disappointed. At reception you are met by a very grumpy man (one of the several). I had problems with my digital key and after i was sent on a couple of trips up and down the stairs to sort it out, still no apology or anything just grunts.

The sauna is not signposted and if you find it in the pool changing rooms you might be unlucky like me and find it full of russian army-types. Not very relaxing.

The bath in the room is not much better ... the plug doesnt fit properly so bathtime is strictly time-limited.

The hotel guide in the room is really a list of rules of varipus types. Nothing too unreasonable when you read them but this approach says a lot about the attitude to customer service. I think i'd describe it as 'soviet'.

I planned to swim here .. in fact its the main reason i booked it. However i cant because i brought my swimming shorts and the rules are no shorts, trunks only. Not that i was told this beforehand.

The location is close to the old town but the local roads are sketchy at night. Im not easily concerned about that kind of thing but the nearby main road and park had some distinctly undesirables in it and the back road it badly lit and there are a few dodgy types around.

The bathroom is great but the room is a tiny double ... if i open a suitcase in the only place i can, i cant open the door very well or use yhe chair at yhe desk.

Overall ive stayed in a million times better places in tallinn for only marginally more. Avoid this place like the plague.

I hope the breakfast is ok in the morning.

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank xangodango
Reviewed September 2, 2012

If you make your decission based on price and location - and you want to stay in spa hotel, then this is your choice, absolutely. But if you are looking for good service minded personel, great breakfast, then skip.

Suites are nice: the bathroom is huge and they have terrace of their own with view towards old town and sea.

Room Tip: 5th floor suites. And I think that all the other rooms on 5th floor have similiar terraces.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple