“Best avoided”

Ranked #23 of 83 Hotels in Tallinn
Auckland, New Zealand
“Best avoided”
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

I booked this because of the pool and sauna as well as the location near the old town. I was sorely disappointed. At reception you are met by a very grumpy man (one of the several). I had problems with my digital key and after i was sent on a couple of trips up and down the stairs to sort it out, still no apology or anything just grunts.

The sauna is not signposted and if you find it in the pool changing rooms you might be unlucky like me and find it full of russian army-types. Not very relaxing.

The bath in the room is not much better ... the plug doesnt fit properly so bathtime is strictly time-limited.

The hotel guide in the room is really a list of rules of varipus types. Nothing too unreasonable when you read them but this approach says a lot about the attitude to customer service. I think i'd describe it as 'soviet'.

I planned to swim here .. in fact its the main reason i booked it. However i cant because i brought my swimming shorts and the rules are no shorts, trunks only. Not that i was told this beforehand.

The location is close to the old town but the local roads are sketchy at night. Im not easily concerned about that kind of thing but the nearby main road and park had some distinctly undesirables in it and the back road it badly lit and there are a few dodgy types around.

The bathroom is great but the room is a tiny double ... if i open a suitcase in the only place i can, i cant open the door very well or use yhe chair at yhe desk.

Overall ive stayed in a million times better places in tallinn for only marginally more. Avoid this place like the plague.

I hope the breakfast is ok in the morning.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank xangodango

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hämeenlinna, Finland
Reviewed September 2, 2012

If you make your decission based on price and location - and you want to stay in spa hotel, then this is your choice, absolutely. But if you are looking for good service minded personel, great breakfast, then skip.

Suites are nice: the bathroom is huge and they have terrace of their own with view towards old town and sea.

Room Tip: 5th floor suites. And I think that all the other rooms on 5th floor have similiar terraces.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CrossroadsObserver
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We (2 adults, 1 teenager) stayed in Kalev Spa Hotel for two nights. The room was spacious enough for three and the only thing that I found a bit disturbing was the noise from the street below - it may look like a quiet, peaceful little street but is actually quite busy both day and night. We were, however, staying on the 2nd floor; we had some friends staying on the 5th floor and you did not even notice the traffic from there, plus the view from the top floor was absolutely great. The location of the hotel next to the old town is excellent. The room was nice, the decor maybe somewhat old-fashioned but quite tidy and there was plenty of space for clothes and things. The beds were OK, not too hard. The breakfast was quite adequate and the service on the whole very friendly. The spa and waterpark with the 50 m pool were excellent. My husband and son both had a haircut at the hotel and were very pleased with it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Antsu_12
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Kalev Spa Hotel for six nights to celebrate our anniversary. We loved this hotel. When we told them that it was our anniversary the front desk staff sent up a bottle of nice champagne for us to celebrate. The facilities at the spa and gym were really nice. We really enjoyed the pool every day that we were there. Finally, the location of the hotel was excellent - it was right outside of the old town area and near a park. It was really easy to get anywhere in the city from this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emily E
Siilinjarvi, Finland
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed in Kalev Spa Hotel for three nights. As a family we enjoyed the two room apartment. Spa was very nice, boys of age 10 and 13 were enjoying the water slides and good hamburgers of pool bar.Too bad I coldn't get myself to gym which seemed well equipped. Location of the hotel is nice. Right next to Old Town and Merekeskus shopping center.
With taxi it took 5 euros to harbor and 10 euros to Pirita beach.
Breakfast was OK. That was our second time in Kalev Spa Hotel and I think we are going to stay there sometimes more.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Finman1161
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My family spent 2 nights in this establishment.

The room was spacious and comfy. The only complaint was the noisy spring bed, but it was a minor issue as was the antique television system:)

The breakfast was some plain but adequate.

For us the free use of the water park was great and the children pool was great!

All and all service was great and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank KimTin
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I'm a swimmer so I enjoyed Kalev Spa as it is a combination of a pretty good spa with hot tubes, slides, etc but also had a full 50 pool which was almost empty so I had some good trainings. My kids (4,8,10) enjoyed the place as well.
Hotel is a very standard one so I'd give it three stars. Location is extremely good, just next to old town.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family