All reviewsthe main squarebeer housetown squareold townoverlooking the courtyardperfect locationraekoja platsmedieval buildingair conditioninglovely hotellounge areasmoked salmonthe ground floorreception staffdouble roomlong weekendbreakfast is served
Reviewed December 6, 2015

We had already spent one night in a very disappointing hotel so much so we had to look for another one as we didn't want our 2 night stay completely ruined.
We came across this one that had good reviews, the photos looked amazing as were the majority of reviews. We were both so looking forward to staying, you have all these expectations but once we'd found our room, well disappointed and completely underwhelmed sprung to mind. Room 216 in the courtyard. The bathroom was fabulous couldn't fault it ( lovely bath and underfloor heating) but the bedroom was very small. The carpet needs changing, very marked. There were no tea/coffee items ( we did ask and it was bought to the room, minus milk ) the kettle did not switch itself off - dangerous! There was very little surface to put things out on , the cases had to stay on the floor, which meant even less floor space. No mirror in the bedroom so unable to do my hair properly.
The breakfast was good. The only criticism being the cooked food in the hot plates were either luke warm or cold.
We had no mini bar either.
Staff were friendly enough. The lady receptionist with the long blonde hair could do with smiling abit more!!
I would stay again just not in that room, not sure if we were just unlucky with that room.

Room Tip: Room in the courtyard. Rooms at the front are opp a busy pub
  • Stayed: December 2015, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lindy092
Reviewed December 5, 2015

Loved the location of this little gem, just behind the town square. Great rates including breakfast make this one a winner in my book. Loved the breakfast room, vaulted ceilings, kinda dark, but plentiful breakfast. Nice sized rooms. My only complaint: Could have used a blind on the door as it was all window, and my room shared a wall with the cigar lounge next door. I could smell cigar smoke all night. If I come back to visit this will be my hotel of choice.

Room Tip: If you hate cigar smoke as for room opposite the cigar bar.
  • Stayed: October 2015, traveled solo
Reviewed November 29, 2015 via mobile

I and my wife visited Merchant's Hotel. We were delighted how the staff served us. Furthermore, the breakfast was one of the best I have ever had in any Estonian hotel. Our room was small, but cozy. I would suggest that whenever you book a room at this hotel, be sure that it is not faced straight at the Dunkri street. That street can be quite noisy during Saturday nights. Moreover, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to people with wheelchairs or who have difficulties with walking since there ae no elevators and the corridors are rather narrow. Anyway, if you are looking for a one-of-a-kind place to stay, this is the one I want to recommend for you.

Stayed: November 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2015

I booked this hotel via a third-party website and got a good price. I visited Tallinn with my best friend to have dinner and to relax. Everything was great about this hotel: the best location you could want, friendly service, cozy rooms and a tasty breakfast. They had a nice selection of teas and let us bring teapots to our rooms - the kind of flexibility I appreciate. From now on, this will be my #1 place to stay in Tallinn.

Room Tip: No elevator, I think. So that should be kept in mind if a problem with taking stairs.
  • Stayed: November 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank Salla S
hotelstallinn, Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2015

Dear Salla,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the hotel, I am glad that you enjoyed everythig about the hotel.

I would love for you to write to me directly on your experience of your bathroom room as we will be updating this room in February.
Would you have prefered (a) french style stand alone bath or (b) fixed built in bath or (c) a large walk-in shower...

When you plan to come to Tallinn next time, please contact me

Jonathan Poole
email: gm@merchantshousehotel.com

Reviewed November 11, 2015

We were in Helsinki for a few days in July. The weather and the lack of much to do made us jump on a ferry for a day trip to Tallinn- and we really loved it. While eating lunch we skipped the trip back and booked a room at a hotel on the next street with pretty much just the clothes on our backs. Old town is wonderful, with lots of little shops and restaurants. It's picturesque and so much fun to wander around. The hotel has a fascinating history that you can get a print out of at the front desk. It dates way back and a sign in our room said the wall was protected by Unesco. How cool is that???? the restaurant downstairs is pretty neat as well with old stone stairs and little passageways. The problem is that whoever owns it, doesn't love it as much as they should or maybe as much as they can. There may be a financial reason behind the sort of questionable choices the owners made in which case I don't want to critique too much but this place just deserves more. Our room was huge but sparsely furnished and felt a little odd, with a tiny little tv and very "modern" furniture which completely didn't go with the rest of the space. The bathroom had a smell and while the room felt clean as far as housekeeping should be concerned, it didn't feel fresh with some tears in the curtains and stains on the couch and carpeting. We also felt like we were completely alone which allowed us to wander the maze like halls of this hotel which was so much fun.. but we found a ton of unfinished projects, doors that lead to nowhere, etc. It was great in that it was a unique place to stay but definitely needs a lot of TLC. The front desk staff were very nice though and English as well as Russian is spoken in the hotel. You can order whatever you like for breakfast as that's included in the room rate and it'll be made for you.

Room Tip: They are all different
  • Stayed: July 2015, traveled with family
1  Thank Tasukete
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your trip to Tallinn and the experience and time at the Merchants House Hotel.

I love Tallinn and glad that you cut your trip shorter in Helsinki and spent a day in Tallinn.

The Merchants House as you mentioned is a lovely old building with lots of corridor and doors.

As I have mentioned on previous reviews the hotel is under going renovations and we have a sign at the new reception and lobby bar area informing guests of this. As we do not want to disturb guests whom stay at the Merchants House "during the renovations" this is being done slowly on a room by room basis.

Your room and the room next door that you stayed in is planned to be done either in February or March 2016, just before Easter.

By the end of the renovations over 50% of the Merchants House Hotel rooms will have French baths, which is one of the main feedbacks/requests of guests staying in the hotel.

I thank you again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to the Merchants House Hotel, Tallinn on your next trip.

Kind Regards