“In the very center of the Old Town” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Merchant's House Hotel

Merchant's House Hotel
Ranked #25 of 82 Hotels in Tallinn
Los Angeles, California
“In the very center of the Old Town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Merchants House is a solid choice in Tallinn’s old city. It’s extremely well located – only 25 meters or so from the Town Hall square. The building is a very old historic landmark, but the rooms have modern conveniences. (They’re not all masterpieces of design, but everything works.) The front desk staff are helpful and enthusiastic. Breakfast, served in an ancient basement area, is only average.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeffrey R
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your kind comment. We appreciate you taking time to tell us about your experience while staying with us. Hope to see you soon!

Email: gm@merchantshousehotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lohja, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

My husband and I spent two days during Christmas time in this lovely hotel. Its location is excellent: just a stone’s throw from the Town Hall square, opposite to Beer House restaurant. The reception staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a double room facing to courtyard which did not matter at all. Room was quite little but very comfortable. It was warm enough, provided with a powerful hairdryer (I appreciated this very much, because in some hotels hairdryers are like a cow’s breath), and a nice bathroom with toiletries. There were also robes and slippers. A small negative thing was the bed mattress which had seen better days and was a little bit uncomfortable.
Overall, the atmosphere in this hotel was welcoming and warm. I have visited a lot of hotels in Tallinn, so I have to say that this hotel is one of the nicest and definitely worth a stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kristiina,

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review of your stay while in Tallinn and the Merchants House Hotel.

Thank you for all your kind comments, the Merchants House Hotel hotel looks forward to welcoming you back to Tallinn soon. please contact me directly next time when you are planning your trip.

The bed in your room is planned to be replaced in February of this year during the renovation plans of the hotel.

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

The location of this hotel is perfect for exploring all of Old Tallinn by foot. Everything is within easy walking distance. Town Hall Square (and the Christmas Market) is immediately around the corner from the hotel and the other major sites are very close by.

I stayed in a double room. The room was modern and well designed. There were many electrical outlets conveniently located for charging personal devices. The bed was very, very comfortable and there were plenty of pillows and a warm duvet.

The website description of the bathroom is a little confusing. I was expecting a shower only but the bathroom had a large tub with shower. The bathroom was very large. The towels were soft and large enough, though note huge. A hair dryer is provided and a full set of toiletries. There are also robes and slippers. It's odd that there is plenty of wall space but no towel bar.

There is a minibar with drinks only, no snacks. The Wifi is free and works very well. I was able to download a movie for my return flight.

It was very cold outside but the room stayed comfortably warm.

The only thing I didn't love about the room was facing the courtyard. It's not possible to ever have the curtains open and maintain any privacy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank likemagic
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and also adding pictures of your stay while in Tallinn Estonia. I am sorry for not replying earlier but it has been a very busy christmas and New Year Period.

I am very greatful for all your kind comments and also ideas.

We are presently gaining quotations for a new website and booking system and this will improve what the Merchants House Hotel and Tallinn has to offer to clients during there stay.

As I have mentioned in previous management responces the Merchants House is just about to start its refurbishment plans room by room. Regarding the courtyard rooms we are looking at adding blinds as well as keeping curtains in certain rooms. This will be tested in the next few weeks.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in Tallinn and the Merchants House Hotel..

Happy holiday and kind regards

General Manager - Merchants House Hotel Tallinn, Estonia
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

My wife and I went over to Tallinn for the night and wanted something special in old town Tallinn for our stay - and we found it! The Merchant's House is a wonderful place located just meters from the main square in a beautifully restored old building with a blend of modern and ancient architecture. All of the ambience coupled with the phenomenal service by the hotel staff made it one of our most memorable stays in the unique hotels we seek out. We arrived early on the ferry from Helsinki, and while the rooms are not ready until 2 pm the staff took our baggage and gave us some great recommendations for lunch and other offers of assistance. When we returned later in the afternoon, they were most attentive and the registration was fast and they had our room ready, our baggage was in our room and they had given us one of the suites. It was a beautiful room, with total modern functionality but integrated parts of the old stones and bricks looking out onto the wonderful courtyard. Excellent bathroom, robes, slippers, a safe, mini bar - and if there is anything that you require the staff is there immediately to provide it. We had a wonderful evening and slept ever so well - it was very quiet, warm and cozy - all so excellent for mid-winter in Tallinn. We had a drink at the Ice bar, which so fun and warmed ourselves at the fireplace in the lobby. There is a lot of history in this place and it was a great stay.
The only thing that we were a little surprised at was the breakfast was basic, good, but basic and would have expected perhaps some more local fare to match the ambience of the setting - that said the staff were ever so attentive for us at breakfast.
Check out is at 12 but they let us store our baggage there while we enjoyed the rest of our day before heading back to the harbor to catch the ferry.
We will be definitely staying here again on one of our trips over to Tallinn.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Timotraveler
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review on trip advisor especially so quickly after your stay... Its brings a smile to my face when reading reviews like yours and makes my staff day/week and months reading such comments. THANK YOU.

We are all here to help the guest(s) with the experience of Tallinn... Providing guests with places to visit, understand what they want to eat and see during there stay and recommending a selection of places. The sales manager eneli, front office and I also try to give as much information also before the guest arrives in Tallinn....

Tallinn/Estonia is such an amazing place, but its also so easy to miss many must see places. So we are here to help with this experience.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the building(s) at the Merchants House Hotel. I agree with you and I am additionally excited about the renovation(s) that will be taking place soon on the new look rooms and concept(s).

Your comments regarding the breakfast "adding more local fare", has been greatly appreciated, and we will be adding more local items within the next weeks...

We wait with open arms in welcoming you back to the Merchants House Hotel soon.

Please contact me directly when you or friends plan to visit next time.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed in MH Hotel from 1 Nov for 3 nights and i have to add to the positive reviews on this lovely hotel. Location was top for Tallin and Old Town, the service was also great, Oliver and the team at Reception were very helpful from the moment we checked in. This is a very charming hotel with extrememely nice quirky ecletic decor, we had a room on the ground floor, Rm 103 and found it to be spacious and very quiet and warm, although in the summer months, i can imagine it to be a little bit noisier with guests enjoying al fresco dining in the courtyard.
As mentioned location is exceptional and you are walking distance to bars, nightclubs and plenty of good restaurants.
I would also recommend the Beer House opposite, for traditional Tallin culture and hospitality. There is a Live band most evenings i think and the food is brilliant. Tallin was not cheap as i thought, with prices just below London pricing, but it is still good value and worth a return visit. The locals are lovely too, and know how to make a visitor feel welcomed. Long may it continue and thank you to Merchant House Hotel for looking after me and my friend during our stay there.
Hopefully i will be back sooner rather than later. Ax

Room Tip: some rooms are smaller than others, try to get a decent size room, but you may have to pay extra for...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ACool-UK
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear Ax,

Thank you for taking your time in writing a review on tripadvisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed the Merchants House Hotel and Tallinn. The Merchants House Hotel is all about helping the guests with information before he arrives and during so that there experience of Tallinn/Estonia is maximised in the best possible way.

When you are planning your next trip with your friend(s) to Tallinn / Estonia, please contact me directly so that I can help you with your booking and forward you information on what is happening during your time in Tallinn.

I always recieve up to date information on what is happening in Tallinn, regarding cultural events, jazz, best DJ, concerts and of course understanding where to eat and drink while in Tallinn.

Oliver and the reception staff informed me of your room preference and when you next come back to Tallinn, please contact me directly so that i can allocate your room in the system in advance.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I spent a very fantastic and memorable two day break at The Merchants House Hotel. The staff were wonderful and very helpful in every way...even made a hot toddy for me as I was suffering from a cold!

Location:
Fantastic location right in the heart of the old town with an array of lovely restaurants to sample....simply perfect...I spent a few hours just wondering around exploring the city.

The Room:
The room over looked the a central courtyard as was simply ideal and perfect with an amazing waterfall style shower.

Dining and Drinks:
The breakfast was also delicious...I recommend the Eggs Benedict! There was also a really nice bar in the hotel with a log burring fireplace which provided a nice location to send a few emails and plan what I was going to do with my day. I also had tea and coffee facilities in my room which was really handy.

Throughly recommended and will be my go to place next time I'm in Estonia!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Luke,

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review on tripadvisor.. I and my team thank you for all your kind comments.

It seems that my famous whisky hot toddies did the trick. When I first met with at check-in, I must admit I was worried, especailly with your cough..

I am glad that your health improved during your time in Tallinn.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Tallinn

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed at the Merchants House on a recommendation, and very glad we did as the location is super. While you could stay in a modern hotel in the new part of town with all mod cons, it wouldn't have the great character and location. Our room was very spacious, with a view onto the street. This may be a problem in high season or at the weekend as a beer hall directly over the street, but as we were there mid week we didn't have any such problems.

We asked for a kettle, which was kindly supplied along with a jug of milk which was very handy. Bathroom a little dark for my liking and maybe in need of an update. Staff very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very good and taken down in the basement which is very cozy. We tried drinks at the ice bar and drank them by the very nice real fire.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mrs-Moondog
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you, for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor.

Please also pass my regards to your friend whom recommended the Merchants House Hotel in Tallinn.

The words you wrote, are very simular to what I advice to most people. You can stay in a modern hotel anywhere around the world. You can move from country to country and the hotel rooms look the same. I also dont like to feel like a room number in a large corporate hotel. That why, when I travel I select hotels that are small and with charactor so its more personnel.

The Merchants House Hotel, has only 3 rooms that overlook dunkri street (beer cellar) and Yes, this can be an issue to some guests in the summer season.

As I have mentioned the hotel is presently updating and renovating rooms, this will certainly be adding more light in the right places.

Again thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff, breakfast and mentioning my favourite place to sit and have a glass of wine or hot mulled wine.. the hotels cosy real fire place.