“Central Tallinn”

Ranked #24 of 83 Hotels in Tallinn
Canterbury, Kent
“Central Tallinn”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The staff and location are the best part of this hotel. The first room we stayed in was an annexe at the rear of the hotel. Although a large room and bathroom, we prefer staying in the main body of a hotel. The beds could have been more comfortable, but were adequate. The breakfast room, and breakfast itself, was very good. We didn't eat in at the hotel, but the bar was very good, and the lounge area with it's fire very welcoming. I can imagine that the Xmas market would be very picturesque, and would certainly stay at the same hotel again.

Room Tip: All the rooms appear to be quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am very proud of the hotel and its staff. We as a team our always trying to make new improvements many of them based upon guests comments.

During the winter period the Merchants House Hotel, will be updating the beds and we will be trying out different mattress in guest rooms during november.

I totally agree the fireplace in the lounge area its cosy and warm, especailly during the winter months.

Please contact me directly when returning to Tallinn.

Thank you again for your comments.

Kind Regards,

General Manager Merchants House Hotel, Tallinn Estonia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oak Harbor, Washington
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is a very nice hotel located in the lower old town. It is very close to most things. The hotel itself was very charming and clean. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more hospitable. We spent a little extra on a superior room and the space was worth it. When we needed to catch an early flight the hotel made us breakfast to go. We had a UNESCO wall in our room that dated back to 1400. The hotel is across the street from a beer hall and it is noisy at night, Additionally if you have heavy bags the hotel does not have an elevator so you will have to carry your bags up the stairs, I would recommend this hotel without reservation

Room Tip: Try to get one that is not on the street side of the hotel due to the noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Hotel was in a good location in the heart of the old town. No elevator but nice wide stairway. The staff spoke English and were helpful in answering questions. Both the room and bathroom were very large and clean, there was a full bathtub. The bed & furniture was comfortable but tired & dated. Everything worked well in the room. My room faced the front street & was noisy in the evening & nighttime because folks talk loudly as they smoke outside the Bar/Restaurant across the street. Luckily it was a cool enough in the season that I could sleep with windows closed.

The included breakfast was not very exciting. Some hot eggs & British type of food as well as the usual obligatory fruit & cereal.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the back, front views were too noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
hotelstallinn, General Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your feedback in regards to your recent stay at the Merchants House Hotel. The Hotel has only 4 rooms that over look the front of the hotel.

We our presently increasing the assortment we serve for breakfast, by adding more pastries and increasing the amount of dishes offered.

We hope to welcome you back soon

helsinki
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Wanted to surprise my girlfriend with a nice hotel in a non-chain hotel. I booked a double room and paid EUR 120 for the room. The room we got was a super-tiny room with high humidity (clothes were wet in the morning!) and a very strong smell of sewer. With a tiny room I mean there was a small table and ONE chair. No sofa, just a bed, and the bed was on the street level and just by the window.. But the most disturbing in this hotel was the smell of sewer, it was really strong, even after one month I still get the smell in my nostrils when thinking about this hotel. When we mentioned about the smell we just got an air refresher bottle, so I guess this wasn't a one-off case.. But on the positive side we slept well, don't know if we passed out of all that methane in the air.. I've seldomly been as happy as checking out from that dungeon, but this was something I paid EUR 120 for?

Room Tip: I would really recommend some other hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FinnishedTraveller
hotelstallinn, Manager at Merchant's House Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear Sir,

I would be greatful if you could write me an email, my contact details are avilable on the hotels website. I am unable to post it due to tripadvisor rules and regulations.

As this is your first review on tripadvisor and I cannot see any names I am unable to investigate the issues you have written about. Which I am of course deeply concerned about.

I am aware since two weeks ago that the old town goverment has been digging up a large majoriety of the old town. But I am certainly unaware of any issues related to our rooms.

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

The first time that I traveled to Estonia, it was just my wife and I. This last trip, we took her mother as well. Both stays my wife and I have enjoyed staying in the suites offered, and this last time my mother in law stayed in a single room. The suites are very spacious and supplied with a comfortable bed and a claw footed tub. Though the tub is in the middle of the room, so I would only get a suite if you ar staying without the need for privacy from your travel mates.

The rooms were great and the staff was certainly helpful. They handled all of our taxis and dinner reservations and made the entire trip a great experience. I am sure that my wife and I will be making another trip back to Estonia and I am sure that we will stay at Merchants House again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chance M
North Yorkshire
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Visited recently for our honeymoon, staff very friendly, room lovely & decorated in rose petals! Very good location, literally 30 steps or so to the Old Town Square. There was a very good selection of food for breakfast. Fill yourself up for the day as it is not cheap to eat in Tallinn! Would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Room 302 looks over the street, nice room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night last October after staying the previous two nights in the Park inn. (now that's a different story).
What a nice surprise this was. The room we had was very large with good quality furniture and underfloor heating in the bathroom.
the breakfast was nice and you went down to the arches underneath the hotel to eat it. The loacation is excellent right off the main square and the saff were nice. Overall if going back to Tallin we would go back to this hotel as it is of a boutique standard you would find in the uk or usa.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple