“Fantastic steak”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Waitstaff
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic steak”
Reviewed September 2, 2014

We only ate here once despite staying at the hotel. This was not a reflection on the food simply that we like to try different places on holiday as this us for yes our evening entertainment.

My husband ordered the hummus to start. It was good but huge portion. I ate a little to help him out but was glad I hadn't had a starter or I could not have had space for the main course.

We both chose the fillet steak which came on an oak platter. The portion of steak was generous and it was beautifully tender. The pepper sauce had a definite kick but as this served in a side dish meant you could choose how much to have. The French fries were in a bucket, literally a tin bucket which seemed to keep them hot. The French fries were crisp and not greasy. The accompanying salad was full of fresh herbs as well as the usual green leaves, cucumber and tomato.

Neither of us had room for dessert but we both commented on how much we enjoyed our meal

• Visited August 2014

Tampere
“Practical concept”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We are a couple consisting of a vegetarian and a carnivore.

Hence a restaurant which serves both good vegetarian dishes and steaks satisfies both our needs.
We had a shared starter, baba ghanoush, which unfortunately was tasteless except for an overwhelming flavour of smoke.

The main courses did however for most parts save the evening for us. The steak was beautifully presented on an oak plate with pepper sauce and salad and French fries in a bucket. I requested a rare steak, but the waitress looked confused, so I changed to medium rare to be safe, but got unfortunately medium plus. Without this drawback I would have called the main course excellent.

My wife’s super couscous salad was also beautifully presented and tasted good. The only shortcoming was the uncooked grated carrot, which my wife is allergic to, and which was not mentioned in the menu.

The layout of the restaurant, located in the cellar of the Merchants House Hotel, is maze-like, which put a lot of strain on the waitress having to bounce around fetching the drinks from the bar on the ground floor and the food from the underground kitchen.

Despite these few remarks we can easily recommend this restaurant to all.

• Visited June 2014
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great value for money, must try”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Staying at this beautiful well located hotel in the old town we normally like to eat away from where we stay but due to illness we went down into the restaurant "cellars" and what a pleasant surprise, lovely atmosphere, good varied selection, well presented, great tastes and blends, served hot (which is a pet thing for me), great service, nice selection of wines, all reasonably priced leading to a most enjoyable evening, couldnt believe it so we did it again and same result, thanks alot for making the trip and the illness a most enjoyable one, long may my "man flu" stay!!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Martyn D
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Meal”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

what a lovely restaurant, the atmosphere was nice, it is in the cellars of the hotel and is lovely. We were one of the only tables there but didn't feel rushed and the service was excellent.

The food was amazing, the starters - a nice choice of Mediterranean dishes, with some asian options too, I had the Georgian bread with cheese and tzatziki, my partner had prawn and crab dumplings, both dishes were lovely, (I think mine was nicer though), my partner thought the wasabi was great with his dumplings.

The main - we both had fillet steak - again cooked beautifully and the chips were really crispy.

We had the cheese platter for dessert - this was tasty too.

It was a really good meal, and affordable too - not too expensive, 68 euro for 3 courses and wine.

Definitely somewhere to try in Tallinn.

• Visited April 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“great place to eat”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Menu was perfect for us since it offers vegetarian dishes as well as fish and meat. The food was well prepared and full of flavour and the service was friendly and polite. Also had a nice meat selection which my girlfriend enjoyed worth a visit if your in the area

• Visited February 2014