“A shame for the Estonian food”
Review of Liisu Juures

Liisu Juures
Ranked #163 of 1,254 Restaurants in Tallinn
Cuisines: International
Description: Liisu Juures is a popular family restaurant, where Estonian national food and family traditions are highly valued. Here you experience Liisu's cordial hospitality and her brother's excellent cooking mastery. You can taste Estonian wines and a variety of best beverages produced in Estonia.
Reviewed December 24, 2018

I am an Estonian. Recently we visited the restaurant Liisu Juures and it was a bad experience. Restaurant is located in the prime location at the Town Hall Square, the premises and ambience are actually nice and kind of cute ... but the food they serve there is far from good. Some of the typical Estonian dishes (like fried and marinated Baltic herring) has never tasted so bad, I couldn't even figure it out how had they managed to get such a poor result of this simple and good dish. Local fish for mains had all been frozen, coffee was un-drinkable. I would not care much if it had been a usual tourist trap like there are many of the kind in the Old Town but this place advertises itself as a restaurant of the Estonian food, and that is a shame. So, please keep in mind that real Estonian food is much better than the one you get in "Liisu Juures"!

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed November 28, 2018 via mobile

We went here for our last dinner in the old town, came across it by accident was very impressed with the whole experience,

Meals were excellent, atmosphere great, service great, like eating in a family home dining room,

We asked if we could share a dessert as we only had room for small amount of food, one portion was shared by both of us which was enough, nothing was too much trouble.

It is a family run restaurant started by the grandmother, now run by younger family members,

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed November 19, 2018 via mobile

Good local food with no fuss. Lower prices compared to the neighbours on the Town Hall Square or Raekoja Plats in Estonian language. Friendly and fast service.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed September 17, 2018

This small restaurant is ideally located at the main town square with good views but a feeling of privacy and coziness livened by cheerful upholstery fabrics. I found the service prompt and excellent. After finishing my appetizer, since I was not hungry any more, I asked the waitress whether it was possible to reduce the size of my main course to half. Instead of trying to sell the full main course portion to me, she accommodated my wish, served only half of the main course for half of the listed price. I was satisfied. Also enjoyed the cold local beer on the warm summer night.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed July 18, 2018

On our recent trip there, we stopped there more than once for their good hot food and nice drinks. Their serving personnel are quick and fair and seemed to know us after a few visits. There was no rush to have us leave and on a warm day it was good people-watching and music listening all in one. Loved it.

Date of visit: July 2018