“Great Freshly Prepared Food”
Review of NOP

NOP
Ranked #83 of 1,007 Restaurants in Tallinn
Cuisines: European, Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: We offer very high quality modern food inspired by world's interesting ingredients and mixing it with our own cultural eating habits. We love breakfasts and brunches, get inspired by lunch and chill over dinners. We love vegetables, therefore we always have an array of vegetarian options. We love to bake gluten - free, therefore majority of our delicious cakes are gluten free. We experiment with vegan and sugar free baking, the results have been promising:). We love coffee, handpicked farmers' freshly roasted coffeebeans are used, freshy pressed veggies, fruits, greens find they way into health drinks and smoothies. We think the food needs to be as clean as possible, but also as pleasurable as possible. We're a neighbourhood cafe+shop, where everybody (incl. kids and dogs) is welcome, where you should find the best meals or food to take home, kind of a place we would like to find when travelling abroad. We've said to give Kadriorg the taste and smell. We live by that motto :)
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I am a foodies and love to try new things. I ordered almost all the items on the main course. The food was made fresh. The meat was very tasty. It is almost perfect. The price is relative cheap and the staff was extremely friendly and great services. The chocolate cake was also excellent with a hint of mint...a bit too sweet which tells me that not enough cocoa was used. All and all the food was freshly made with high quality products.

1  Thank NatureGuyDECH

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We arrived to this small restaurant / café / organic store on a hot day, tired and hungry, and ended up spending a good couple of hours relaxing in the lovely back garden with nice food and drinks. Prices were moderate, and the food as well as the pastries were very tasty. A couple of dishes took a bit long to arrive, but as we were in no hurry, it didn't really bother us. If you like bohemian atmosphere and homemade treats, this place is worth a visit!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

My partner and I are two expatriates living in Tallinn. We have been on the hunt for a great brunch place and were delighted when we found NOP. We live just up the road from it and it's set on a gorgeous quiet street with a lovely ambiance.

That said, after today I will never return and here is why.

The last few weeks we have gone every Sunday at around 10am to have poached eggs and salmon, for me, and poached eggs and bacon, for him. Service has always been a bit shambolic, like chickens running about unsure of what to do, but look I can get that. Still, the last few weekends have been quieter. Turnaround on food has been quick and was always excellent. The staff might struggle, but they've at least always seemed friendly. Today, however, was a disaster and I am extremely dissatisfied with my treatment and I have a small mind that it may be due to the fact I am foreign.

We went in and it was busier than normal, but that is to be expected with tourist season upon us. I ordered an ice chai latte and somehow, despite this, and specifying it to her twice I was given a hot one. When I mentioned I ordered iced, she pulled a face like I'd done her wrong, so I hastily accepted it - easier to do and the line was long, so I wanted to be sympathetic. The chai was made like a cappuccino, so I have no idea what is up with that, but whatever, easier to accept and cut them some slack. The line had gotten so long that another employee asked the next person in line what they wanted. The woman behind us ordered a coffee. The other employee poured it. After the girl at the till took my order and messed it up, she then returned to ask for my boyfriend's. This was a good three to five minutes since the coffee had been poured for the lady behind us. Originally he wanted a vanilla latte, but seeing as how busy the place was, he ordered a coffee instead, just to give them a little more of a break.

They slid him the coffee that'd been poured five minutes earlier and was rapidly cooling. Whatever. I let it and my chai go, they're busy. There were approximately six different sets of people behind us at this point and we sat down at our table to wait for our food.

While my drink was wrong, you can't really screw up a chai from a tin can you? I have the same brand of chai at home. How she cappuccino'd it, I don't know, but it was fine. My partner's coffee was terrible. As a former barista I knew immediately it was overbrewed and stale - coffee that should have been changed and rebrewed before being served. It was not good. Then, the food started coming out.

Every. Single. Table. Including one of four people, all with different orders, came out before us. At this point, I am very unhappy. She sits the food down for the family of four, then the table behind us (they were third in line behind us), and then brings food to the two girls that were at the end of the line when we were ordered. Considering it took them five minutes per person to just get orders through, I was aghast. I looked at the orders: most were the same as mine, poached egg & salmon, but there were scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, ham - the point is, they were not all the same dish. My boyfriend's only difference was bacon, and I couldn't see every table, so I don't know if someone else ordered it, too. I flag down the girl who took our order to ask about this. She informs me ours, the first that was ordered, is last to come out because my boyfriend's order is so "weird".

I don't know about you guys reading this, but bacon doesn't take 30 minutes to fry. I also understand that pots and pans in a small kitchen can be a problem; however, no, I'm sorry, not everyone ordered salmon and there different orders. Why were we last? Funnily enough, every other table was speaking Estonian (from what I could tell), but I'm not going to make a presumption. It's worthless to do so. The waitress then proceeds to tell me that MY order has been done and waiting for "a while" and the cook is "new". Be that as it may, she has been the cook the last month and half or so that we have noticed and NEVER had a problem before.

I tell her I want my money back because this sort of service is horrific. While she sorts this out, the other girl brings over the food. Being that the other one told us we wouldn't get the food, this was amusing. Two other fun facts about it: my food came out congealed and from what I could tell, I didn't open it, but I put a finger to it, my poached egg was cold, fab! They brought my boyfriend's food out crammed on a tiny plate. I suppose they must have ran out of dishes. The other waitress comes over, thrusts the money at me, and grabs the food - I suppose before we could have ate it and got out money back. But, really, I didn't want to.

NOP was quickly becoming my favourite place to relax on a Sunday with my loved one and the insta-chai I get (when Starbucks Chai is better, really...). I am appalled at the level of service we received, the staggering disregard for restaurant management, and with the overall attitude. I understand how overwhelming it can be when you're busy and we were sympathetic about the drink problems and the initial wait-time for our food, but it was bang out of order how the food was stacked. I am extremely disappointed and even moreso that NOP likes to purport a sort of pretentious wealthy bohemian vibe. I myself like the same thing ;), but the truth is: if you can't offer that level of service, don't pretend you're that. If you're looking for a bright, sunny place in Tallinn to relax and enjoy yourself with top-notch service, gorgeous ambiance, and great food and drink: DO NOT GO TO NOP.

Do yourself a favour and go to Till and Kummel in the City Centre.

1  Thank supercourt
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is just an amazing place. Great service, amazing food and nice prices. Small minus is that you will need to take two stops with tram from centrum to reach this gem. We visited this place on sunday for lunch. Food was great and prices quite good.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very child friendly place mainly concentrating on eco and green approach. You won't find a lot of heavy/meaty food here, but salads, breakfasts and wraps are amazing. Pastries are good as well — a perfect mix of Estonian traditions and European recipes.
Make sure to try hummus with garlic, it a guilty pleasure that no one can resist!