“Birgitta Festival”

Book In Advance
More Info
$87.67*
and up
Shore Excursion: Old Town Tallinn and...
Ranked #36 of 310 things to do in Tallinn
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We attended the first night of the Birgitta Festival. 39 Euros each to see the most wonderful performance of Carl Orff’s Triumph of Aphrodite and Carmina Burana. To give you an idea of how fabulous the production was, it was held in the medieval Pirita convent in Tallinn where the inside had been refitted with a temporary roof and seating. The performance was complimented by a wonderfully-choreographed State Opera and Ballet Theatre, chamber choir, opera choir and Boy’s Choir of Estonian National Opera, and the Estonian National Symphony Orchestra. The only problem was that the large windows were left uncovered (difficult, really, as they’re so big) and freezing cold air came through them and I froze. Absolutely iced. There was no one sitting on my left and, after interval, I persuaded a woman to sit next to me. She looked cuddly and I thought I could cuddle up to her for some warmth, but she was coughing and sneezing and I spent the whole of Carmina Burana with my nose and mouth dipped into the collar of my zip-up jacket, trying to get away from her. Fortunately, I didn’t catch whatever she had. Anyway, it was worth the cold, because it was the best performance I’d seen since I first saw it in Chile in the 1970s. If you’re thinking of attending a performance here, for goodness sake take Antarctica gear – the locals knew to do it!

All reviews
"snow"
"benches"
"stroll"

Reviewed December 1, 2012

A great beach in the summer, fantastic walking and cycling in the pine forests, a great coastal walk back to Tallinn and a sea wall surrounding the marina that gives amazing views across the Baltic to the Old Town. The TV Tower and Botanic Gardens are also a short bus ride away. Easy access by several very regular buses (1, 8, 34A, 38)

4  Thank Mike G
Reviewed October 7, 2012

nice walk fro the park on the sea front not much to do though harbour ok we found it hard to find anything open to get something to eat but we did eventually find a fab chinese on the road side which opens for dinners very nice

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stopped at the beach even though it was cold and windy but the sand was lovely and it is a great view over to the town. Stopped on our way back from the tv tower which made a good day out. Also plenty of play equipment for children all along the beach