Economy Hotell
St Olav Hotel(Tallinn)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewstrain stationbalti jaamold townthird floorwooden floorsrooms are smallbasic hotelfree wifino elevatortasty breakfastsingle roomshort stayporridgebed was comfortableconvenient locationhotel is locatedmin walk
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed at the Economy Hotell for 3 days during our explorations of Estonia. In contrast to the beautiful and laid back atmosphere of outside the hotel, we found the service and quality of the hotel to be lacking. Indeed for 55 euro, we were not expecting 5-star service, but we found the staff particularly the older woman at the front desk, Eve (I think was her name), to be completely apathetic and simply unwilling to help. Small rooms but well located close to the train station. No amenities, noisy, not even drinking water, and wifi was hit or miss. When we checked out of the hotel the staff charged us for breakfast that we did not eat, and refused to cancel the charge even when the restaurant staff confirmed with us. No customer service. I suggest if it is your first time to Estonia, like us, to go somewhere where the staff does not have an attitude and where they are actually knowledgeable enough to help you with your stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TravelTiffany
EconomyHotelTallinn, Front Office Manager at Economy Hotell, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Tiffany,
Thank you for taking your time and writing a review about your stay in our hotel. Though we always appreciate our customers opinions and we respect accurate criticism (because it helps us improve our business and service) this time we need to say that your statement is not correct in may ways.
First of all, if there wasn't any amenities in our hotel and if it was too noisy then you wouldn't have been staying here for four nights. Originally your booking was for two nights but you extended your stay in our hotel. Obviously there was something here to your liking.
Secondly, the cleanliness of tap water is 82% in Tallinn. Even some fancy restaurants serve tap water. Also, we sell still and bubble bottle water in our hotel so we really don't see any reason why this was a problem to describe.
Thirdly, about your complaint regarding charging money for breakfast that you did not eat; relying on our receptionists observations and camera recordings we have to say that you are not right here as well. You were witnessed consuming the same food you claimed you did not eat!
And finally we need to respond about your complaint with our customer service. We can sincerely be proud of being friendly and helpful staff for our customers. If you take a look at the reviews in Tripadvisor you can see 80% positive feedback. We are happy to help out our customers in every reasonable way but there are also some limits, as some people just choose to be helpless, and taking out the time to help them would mean not being able to serve other customers fairly.
We do our best, but it is impossible to compensate for a customer's complete lack of travel preparation in the time we have to assist you.
Unfortunately there are some people who are never satisfied. We hope that at least your negative comment made you feel happy and give you some much-needed stress relief. Hereby we warmly recommend you to cheer up and we would like to share one good proverb with you:
'Whine less, breathe more; speak less, say more.'
the staff of Economy Hotell
Ene Oja-Both

Reviewed June 21, 2013

The excellent point about this hotel is its location within very easy walking distance of the old town in Tallinn. The accomodations were simple, clean and everything worked. There was free wi-fi, but I had some trouble maintaining the connection when I was in my room (could have been the room location). Breakfast was good and sufficient for a long day of walking. The desk staff knew enough English to be off good help.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank JohnBSB
EconomyHotelTallinn, Front Office Manager at Economy Hotell, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear JohnBSB!

Thank you for staying in Economy Hotel and for your review.
Our hotel has a good location and we are happy that you find it wonderful also.
Our housekeeping is doing their best their job, so thank you for noticing.
Thank you behalf of our staff for everyhting.

Hope to see you in our hotel next time.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Clean room, spotless bathroom (2 odd points mentioned below), and great staff (with one exception detailed below). I had prepaid for 4 nights last fall. When I came to check in, having flown from the US, taken the ferry from Helsinki, and walked to the hotel, I was told they were overbooked and I had to go to a hotel several kms farther out (via a taxi they paid for). So it did not start out great. I returned the next morning, left my luggage, and toured the old town. Then I checked in and was given a really nice room plus a discount on breakfast the next 3 mornings for the inconvenience. The bathroom has 2 odd features: one, the shower head was positioned above the enclosure, so I had to fiddle with the showerhead so water wouldn't go all over the wall and floor; two, the ledge over the sink was so large that I could not get my face near the sink. Just rinsing my face got water all over the ledge and some on the floor. Obviously designed by someone who never used it! The staff were very polite and concerned about patrons, until the last night. A Japanese gentleman came in and asked for one room for tomorrow night. The clerk multiple times says 'what is your problem' very loudly, and, 'I don't know what you want'. I went over and said he wants to make a reservation for tommorow night. She says I don't understand Chinese. He was speaking English very clearly, so I am not sure what was going on. The breakfast buffet is somewhat lacking for vegetarians, but muesli and yogurt kept me happy. The juice was from powder (like Tang in the US), and the fruit was canned pineapple every day. The wifi works great in the lobby, which has tables and chairs and one computer, but only once in my room. I highly recommend this hotel for cleanliness and location.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Bookworm46
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Hi,
Stayed at the Economy Hotel last week for 3 days, Have to say, it is in a great location for the old town, just across the road. Trams 1 and 2 run from outside hotel into the town centre. The hotel itself is quite, the rooms were spacious, breakfast was fine but the real gem is the beautiful Leelia, she was ever so helpful with information regarding the town and how to get to the right places. She is a real star.

The weather at the time was fantastic so took a bus to the beach Parita which I highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Petermac1
EconomyHotelTallinn, Front Office Manager at Economy Hotell, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Petermac1!

Thank you very much for your staying and for your review.
We are happy to read that you liked our hotel and you were pleased with our services. We are always trying do our best for our guests can feel themselves good.

On my behalf- thank you for your compliments.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Only stayed here for one night, but it was good. Location and price was great. 5 min walking to the old town. The breakfast was good too, although extra. The price for that wasn't bad either considering that the variety was okay. The room was huge for European standards. It was only a 2 minute taxi ride from the cruise port, so that was easy as well. We arrived early, and they stored our luggage for us.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank mopps4life
EconomyHotelTallinn, Front Office Manager at Economy Hotell, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear mopps4life!

Thank you for staying in our hotel and for your review.
We are happy to read that you find our staff friendly and that you enjoyed our modest breakast.
It was our privilege to accommodate you and we are looking forward for hearing from you.