“Bastion Passages = complete waste of time and money.”

Kiek in de Kok and Bastion Passages Museum
Ranked #17 of 301 things to do in Tallinn
More attraction details
Owner description: The tower Kiek in de Kök together with the passages of the Ingrian and Swedish bastions is an exciting part of Tallinn historical fortifications.The exhibition of “Kiek in de Kök and Bastion Passages” reopened in March 2010 takes the visitor to a time journey that begins in 1219 and offers experience, information and entertainment. With the help of innovative video- and sound-effects and means of multimedia the birth and evolution of Tallinn, the history of town fortifications and the most significant military events are introduced to the visitor.The time train in the bastion passages takes the tourist to 2219. The other part of the passage display concentrates on the history of the passages.The cafe on the uppermost floor of the tower offers magnificent views of the upper town Toompea, the lower town and the harbor.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Where to start? These passages are such a part of Tallinn's social history, I was looking forward to it and was left very disappointed.

The intro film that was played to us before the explore into the tunnels was witty and informative so it felt like we were in for a treat. WRONG. Our guide was very curt and spoke English - but only so I could catch one in every 10 words. I appreciate my Estonian is not as good as his English but it was so frustrating,

We along with the other English speakers (mostly Brits) were rushed through the tunnels - my goodness he made it so boring. There were exhibits in the tunnels to represent each era but these were barely remarked upon. He was very cold in temperament so when he said 'Any Questions?' I felt obliged to stay quiet as I don't think he actually wanted to answer queries.

Finally the 'futuretrain' concept fell flat on its face, one lady in our group said she felt very claustrophobic in it. I just felt stupid in it.

Had this museum have been in England I'd have been complaining more to the staff at the front desk but as I tourist I felt disempowered to make any kind of negative remark,

Just awful.

1  Thank r0t0

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I didn't get our guide's name, a young blonde woman, but she was great. Her English and knowledge was impressive, despite some old bloke trying to test her with obscure questions, and she had a sense of humour. The Museum and the Tour are excellent and recommended especially if it's raining, which it did a lot while we were in Tallinn. The Museum is very warm, the Tunnels are not so take one of the blankets on offer!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was excited to go into the Bastion passages but was left massively underwhelmed. Our guide rushed through things and I didn't really feel that she spent enough time explaining anything. The history of the passages was ok but the 'future' section is just utterly pointless. Also if you are considering spending the extra euro so you can take pictures, save your money there is *very* little to take pictures of...

2  Thank travellybugg
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This tour of underground passages is definitely worthwhile because the guide offers history of Tallinn and the tunnels and you see how the tunnels have been used over time. Of special interest are the displays and explanation of use by the homeless since the end of Soviet occupation, the earlier use as bomb shelters, and even KGB spy center. The tour ends with a view of Estonia in the future, which my husbnd and I found to be superfluous. Overall, definitely worth doing.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

this was a fab trip we paid for a session to go up the tower and hace a guide for the tunnels well worth the money the guide from the tunnels was very informative and didnt rush the group english spoken throughout the tour, had a lovely coffee bar at tip of tower recommend the hot choclate