“simply average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 82 Hotels in Tallinn
London, United Kingdom
“simply average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

what was good: location, comfortable bed, strong wifi

what was bad: too few pillows (just one), could see a visible gap in between the door and the door frame at the top.

bathroom was a wet room with cleaning supplies shoved in the corner. most likely made for the disabled, which we are not. I guess they put you in the disabled room if you ask for two single beds....

some disinterested and unfriendly staff

Room Tip: not the best hotel if you want two single beds
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TallinnHotels, Front Office Manager at Taanilinna Hotell, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear kovsky,

Thank you for your feedback!

I am sorry that you did not find Taanilinna Hotel the perfect place to say but at the same time I am thankful for the positive comments that you found for us nevertheless.

Hopefully we can improve your next visit to an unforgettable stay!

Terje Taal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

This hotel does exactly "what it says on the tin" and more
Arranging taxis including fares
Free Wifi - they even supply the computer!
Secure luggage storage for those whose leaving after the room check out time
English speaking
Free help if there is an issue with your next port of stay
A good breakfast is included and the quiet rooms including en-suites are very well maintained and clean
Short bus trip & walk from the airport (public transport does not exist inside the Old Town - so this character hotel built into the old town wall is very convenient for bus stops etc)
I challenge anybody to find better value so close to the heart of Old Town Tallinn
The only significant negative is the absence of a lift -otherwise we would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who can cope with stairs.

Room Tip: All rooms are at least good
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Keith,

Thank you for your humbling words!

Your kindness and positiveness are inspiring to us in our everyday work and I owe you my sincere gratitude for that.

Looking forward to see you again here in Taanilinna Hotel!
Best regards,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Only speaking for myself, of course, my experience left a lot to be desired. I booked and paid in advance for an upgraded room, and due to a technical issue was switched to a smaller room. No recognition or attempt to accommodate for my expense (original was 1st floor, so at least the smaller was higher up). No problem with a smaller size (except that I paid for it), but the room was terribly hot, without air-conditioning...again, ok...but, a fan would have been appreciated. It was so hot and uncomfortable, and with opened windows the cigarette smoke and after-bar voices were plenty with my room facing the parking lot/entrance. This might be for some, but not for me. I booked and paid for two and went to another hotel for the second night. The Wi-Fi was in and out. The location was great. Some staff was great, others not so much.

Room Tip: The higher the better, or not facing the parking lot/entrance
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Catana_Hamilton,

I am deeply disturbed that you had an unsatisfying stay here at Taanilinna Hotel.

I think that there is no purpose to make any excuses for the inconvenience we put you through.
All I can say is that we are very concerned about this matter and that we would want to make this up to you.

As we did not get your e-mail address when you checked in, please contact me via e-mail so we can find out a proper solution to this question.

Eagarly waiting for your response,
terje.taal@tallinnhotels.ee
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed here for a couple nights and quite liked this hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean. My bathroom had heated floors- a nice touch! Wifi was a little weak sometimes and I occasionally lost the signal. Regarding breakfast, it was fine with a fair selection. The espresso machine was broken however and they still had it out for coffee only, no steamed milk and no sign explaining. I feel this hotel was a good value and its proximity to old town is very good. I would recommend staying here. One suggestion: room darkening shades and ability to use the espresso machine.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for your thoughts!

We will surely take your notes into account and try to improve even further for your next visit.
Thank you for taking the time to share your ideas!

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

The hotel is in a quiet ally off a bigger street, nice quiet location. It's about 2 min from the start of the old town. Good spot to stay if you are exporting old town etc.
Hotel was nice and clean but nothing outstanding. Breakfast was ok as it was included in nightly rate.
Free wifi in rooms worked well and easy to connect.
Some staff on front reception were unfriendly and disinterested in helping or providing any extra info which wasn't a good first impression. Some other staff were helpful though.
Overall comment would be don't expect anything great,buts its ok and nice and clean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TallinnHotels, Front Office Manager at Taanilinna Hotell, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your comments!

I do value your honesty and constructive notes and will deffinately act on many of them.
I apologize if you felt like the staff was not always attentive enough for you, this is something we are usually very proud of here. Your feedback will be noted and put into a good use!

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Our experience of Taanilinna Hotel was OK. The hotel itself is comfortable and well placed in The Old Town. Our room was clean and well presented and warm. The only draw back was that the curtains don't close fully which can be a little annoying during the White Nights.

The breakfast too is adequate. A selection of breads and jams, a yoghurt, some cold meats and cheese and cereal and some juices.

The staff are mostly rather indifferent with the exception of a couple of the girls who are quite friendly and helpful and one guy who is just quite rude... He doesn't even look at you when you ask him a question.

I wouldn't avoid the hotel but I would be keen to try elsewhere on my next visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Louise A
TallinnHotels, Front Office Manager at Taanilinna Hotell, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Louise,

Thank you for your honesty!

I appreciate your willingness to give a positive point of view to add to your concerns about our services.
These kinds of feedback notes are the ones that will most definately make a difference in a hotels everyday handling of various situations.

I assure you we do our best here to keep our staff happy about what they do and thus help the guests enjoy the visit as well. My apologies if you could not experience our full potential.

I sure hope that we will be given another chance to prove our quality when you decide to take another trip in Tallinn.

Lewes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Really nice staff, free WiFi, comfortable rooms.

The location is really good, yards from bars and the tourist areas. The room we were in was a functional twin: two beds a TV and a bathroom. WiFi was free and worked well and there was a roof terrace to allow us a place to meet rather than in reception. There was no bar but the breakfast was pleasant enough and featured cornflakes, bread, ham, cheese, yogurts, and drinks.

If I was going to moan, I suppose the rooms were a little warm and the sun seemed to come up at 2am, but overall I had a lovely time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TallinnHotels, Front Office Manager at Taanilinna Hotell, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback!

I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay here at Taanilinna Hotel and assure you that we are looking forward to have you back here in the future.