“OK quality and spa”
Review of Pirita Spa Hotel

Pirita Spa Hotel
Ranked #50 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I travelled with my mother and her sister to enjoy a short spa-week.

The hotel is situated approximately a 20 minutes taxi-trip from the airport.
When we arrived the hotel, we found the hotel big, but the surroundings were not very nice (industry buildings and villas around).

The check-in was quick, and the staff helpful and friendly. Not as sullen as we had thought they should be.

The room was spacious and ok cleaned. It was a bit cold, and the termostate did not work. But with an extra pullover it was no problem. We had rooms at the ground floor, with no lifts to our corridore(one stair down). We had a balcony with wiev to the villas, a quiet area.

Breakfast and dinner was in our booked package. Breakfast-buffet was ok, but notvery varied. The the dinner-buffet was poor!!! Not much to select from, and that you had to select was not very good cominated and tasty. The restaurant is in the top floor, but the guests with breakfast and dinner included had to sit on the side with wiev to the industry buildings, and not the side with wiev to the sea(only if you paid your dinner).

The lobby was nice, but a bit loud(music) with a café/bar and some shops(pharmacy, clothes, kiosk, jewelery, gift-shop, optician). Another bar with shows at the evening had cover charge, so we did not enter it.

There was free internet in the lobby-areas, but not in our rooms.

The spa and beauty centres were nice, with good treatments in nice surroundings. The staff could very well smile a bit more, but they were not rude to me, only to my mother one time when she was to late to her treatment. The spa is on 2-3 areas, and you have to use map to find the correct treatment rooms, so be out early if you not are sure where it is.

If you want to visit Tallinn city centre, buy bus tickets in the hotel's kiosk. The bus stop is only 100-200 metres from the hotel (at the high way) and goes to the centre of Tallinn.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed May 26, 2009

My partner booked the Pirita Top Spa hotel as she was attending a conference there over the weekend. I read the word spa and convinced myself that my attendance was mandatory.

I've been to Tallinn before and stayed in the Old Town, but the Pirita Top is on the coast, and in no way a walkable distance to the centre of town. Fro mthe outside, it is clear that this is a hotel in need of either updating, or knocking down. It was unfortunately built to house the 1980 USSR Olympic team for training and looks just like it. It's hard to do anything with a building erected in this period, and I am afraid it will never look good.

The reception was reasonably efficient, and upon entering our room, decided it was in need of updating, and was a little small, so asked for a room change. We were surprised to hear that there were rooms available on the other side of the hotel, but they were at an extra charge and were smaller and "needed updating" I couldn't wait to see these! Not even taking the chance, I enquired about suites, and one was available, for the giddy extra sum of £35 per night :-)

For this price it was worth the change, and we settled in. Reception were good, after pushing, at booking a restaurant for that night, and whilst my partner attended the conference, I explored.

The hotel is extremely quiet in winter, and I hardly encountered another guest apart from the old ladies plodding up and down the corridors. There are a lot of these, (corridors and old ladies).

The spa was acceptable, and really the best thing about the hotel. Treatment prices were normal, but it was by no means luxurious.

There is a reasonable restaurant and cafe on the 5th floor, and they do a buffet breakfast and lunch, which is aimed at the healthy side of dining, but you can still just eat pain au chocolats if you get there quick.

This is really a spa hotel for the very tight fisted, or only to book in to if you have a conference there. It serves no real purpose and could be knocked down without a complaint I think.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2009

So this is a retrospective only...actually I stayed there in 1995 also with my daughter....things were, shall I say, interesting since Estonia was still in the transition period form Soviet Tyranny and Independence. It was well worth the stay...both then and in the future

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank MrbillSC
Reviewed December 16, 2008

You can see the power of socialism in the walls of this hotel... being a bit sarcastic of course.

Generally it's a nice ok hotel if you want an option for the centrum located ones. Pirita top spa is a taxi ride away from the old town and centrum, you might not want to go there by foot.. the distance seemed a bit too long, alltho we did walk the beach street to the centrum once!

If you go there in the summer time theres a very good beach nearby (just make sure to ask where it is because you might miss it otherwise). Not really night life going around here at all... which is a big minus for people just going drinking.
The so called "spa" sucks also... it all reminds me of the old soviet times.. not much to see in there.

Generally a nice place to stay if you are willing to try out something a bit different.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Villemies
Reviewed August 15, 2008

Well, my family and I were a little bit apprehensive about our stay in the Pirita Top Spa hotel as there were some mixed views on the websites.

Well I dont know what all the fuss was about . We had an excellent stay. The hotel was very clean and tidy and the facilities were brilliant for the whole family if you like sports, swimming, spa and relaxing treatments.

The hotels 5th floor restruant was beautiful and the food was good especially watching the sunset in the evening over a romantic meal. (not that we had a chance of that with two teenagers and a baby) The breakfast in the morning was typical continental. What I thought was good was that if anyone had a food allergy to dairy or lactose intolerance of foods. Their were some foods at breakfast that were ideal. My baby has a lactose intolerance and dairy allergy. Although she wasnt to sure of the taste of the soya products their were the facilities there. You English breakfast lovers would be dissapointed as they only served scrambled egg and weiner sausages each day. The only negative comment would be that possibly they could have had a even wider variety of foods at breakfast or changed maybe scrambled egg to fried egg and added some beans or something in the menu. Their was one single toaster at first in the restruant which was a bit daft as their was so many people at breakfast sometimes that it couldnt cope.(lol )Although on the last day they put a proper industrial toaster in the restruant and this could toast loads at one time which was excellent.

This is a hotel that is trying to continue to give good service. When we arrived the toilet in our room had a leak, but as soon as we told the reception they moved us straight away and to apoligies they sent us a plate of fresh fruit. Which was a wonderful gesture. This hotel was very good value and exceeded our expectations.

The Spa treatment was excellent and of great value. I had a mud wrap and full body massage for my birthday and it cost around £30. I was in the treatment room for nearly 2 hours. Excellent service. Some treatment seemed a little bit overpriced but most were great value. I also had a eyebrow shaping and colouring and it cost about £5 ish which is cheap. I pay alot more than that in England and I dont even get a tint for that.

The rooms were big and the clean and tidy. We had all the facilities we needed. We had fresh towels each day. The maid had her work cut out in our room with our messy lot. We even at night time managed to watch a couple of decent American films at night. Ok their were subtitles at the bottom in Estonian but because we understood the film it didnt matter. Their was even some famous films with Burt Rynolds and Martin Lawrence in the films. Their was a couple of channels with English/American speaking which was good, but hey who wants to watch tv when their i so much to do in the hotel? Maybe to improve it would have been handy to have tea and coffee making facilities? We take our own kettle anyway for the babies bottles.

The hotels reception was good. Their was a little shop and pharmacy and for the gamblers well slot machines r us .

Overall I think it isa great hotel and great prices and great facilities and becuase of the rain on a few days on our stay the swimming facilities were great to keep us occupied. They even have a little kiddies indoor play area. Not loads their but enough to keep the kids amused for a while.

I recommend this hotel unless your a Victor meldrew and want to complain about all the things it didnt have. This hotel was great value for money.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank tonkadan22
Reviewed April 3, 2008

First let me get the negatives out of the way. This is not a luxury hotel. It's architecture is typically Soviet. It was designed to house athletes during the 1980's Olympic games of the maritime events.

The breakfast buffet is designed to be "healthy." It's a health spa.
And it's not in town.

That being said, the view of the Ocean is fantastic. Getting into town via taxi or the scenic promenade is easy/fun. The large indoor pool and saunas (wet and dry) are clean and sanitary.

This was my little weekend get-away hotel from St. Petersburg. I stayed there at least 5 times. Old-town Tallinn is a lot of fun. Great scenery, great bar scene - everything you'd like in a vacation. The movie theater shows its movies in English (major plus when visiting from Russia :)

• Stayed: May 2004, traveled with friends
2  Thank Heironymous
Reviewed October 16, 2007

This is going to be an easy review to write as the previous review by Jackie34 contains much that we would agree with.

Location - we like the idea of somewhere out of town but with good transport links and in this respect everything was fine. The immediate area is well worth exploring, and the frequent buses get you into town i about 10/15 minutes.

Room - on this evidence, its worth paying a little extra for a 'maritime' class room. I don't think the room quality is any higher than the rest but you do get great views out over the Gulf of Finland. Our room was a decent size and comfortable, but a bit 'tired'. Bathroom won't win any prizes for looks but was well equiped with an excellent shower (and a shower cubicle big enough to hold a party in), hairdryer and heated towel rail.

Food - now, that breakfast. There is actually plenty of choice, but not that much that would make it onto a 'full English. ' We don't mind getting by on cereals, yogurt and coffee but fans of a full cooked breakfast will be left short. I drew the line at what seemed to be herring in some kind of yellow sauce - not at 8:00 am please.
We ate once in the restaurant and found it perfectly ok, if nothing special.

Staff - fine, mostly very pleasant an helpful.

What we liked about Tallinn:-
The walk along the prom from the hotel into town. Took two hours but worth it for ace views and interesting 'objects' along the way. A memorial to rally driver Michael Park was particularly impressive.

The Museum Of the Occupations - not a huge amount of exibits but some fascinating video footage, and a scary journey to the gents...

Meandering around the old town - best done, I reckon, with no particular purpose in mind.

Hell Hunt pub, and the cinnamon beer at Old Hansa.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank rich.hull