“Better than expected”

Tallink Express Hotel
Ranked #31 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We took advantage of a promo package of Tallink, offering ferry return trip from Helsinki + hotel at a rate lower than the sole ferry return ticket fare.
The reviews I read did worry me a little, but this hotel was much better than I expected.
The location is not so nice, but it is very convenient: a short walk from the ferry terminal and to the old town. The room was small and basic, but clean and comfortable, decorated with bright colours, with free reliable wi-fi. I liked the soup buffet. Breakfast was ok, wide choice but not of great quality. What I actually didn't like was the "quality" of some guests, but this isn't the hotel fault.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Oliver L, Front Office Manager at Tallink Express Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing Tallink Express Hotel for your stay in Tallinn. We appreciate your feedback. It is pleasure to hear that you were satisfied with most of our services which is very important to us. We do hope you visit us again.

There are newer reviews for Tallink Express Hotel

Reviewed May 2, 2014

We arrived at 8am, expecting to drop our bags before heading off to Helsinki for the day. To our surprise they had a room available. The room was cheerfully decorated, clean and our room had a nice view across to the old town. We had breakfast there. It wasn't fantastic but was good value for money. Overall a very good experience and we felt that the people at reception were helpful and friendly.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Oliver L, Front Office Manager at Tallink Express Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear Pieter,

Thank you for choosing Tallink Express Hotel for your stay in Tallinn. We appreciate your feedback. We are glad to hear that you noticed our renewed rooms and enjoyed our customer service which is very important to us. We do hope you visit us again.

Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is undergoing a renovation. The rooms clearly need it as they are beginning to show their age. Staff is helpful even though a bit novice.

Breakfast was nice, location is not bad if you come by ship. Especially considering that the value for money is good.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Oliver L, Front Office Manager at Tallink Express Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for choosing Tallink Express Hotel for your stay in Tallinn. Thank you for your feedback, it is very important to us. We are happy to announce that by the end of this month all hotel rooms will be renovated. It is pleasure to hear that you appreciated our staff, breakfast and good location. We do hope you visit us again.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Ticks all the boxes for a base to explore Tallinn over a long weekend. The rooms are very clean and tidy, with friendly and helpful staff. The breakfast is very continental, but plentiful, allowing you to fill up before the short walk into the Old Town. The mattress's are thin, making the beds firm. Spent two nights there and found it excellent value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Oliver L, Front Office Manager at Tallink Express Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Dear Anthony,

Thank you for choosing Tallink Express Hotel for your stay in Tallinn. We appreciate your feedback and sorry that your bed mattress was little bit thin. It is pleasure to hear that you were satisfied with most of our services which is very important to us. We do hope you visit us again.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

It's hard to beat at that price, I think it is rather cheap in Tallinn standard. Note that I gave it 5 stars for it's clean room, decent location and excellent value for money...obviously it's not a lavish / romantic hotel.

Location: it's close to passenger terminal A, old town is within walking distance, but IMO it's closer to the more boring part of the old town. And there is nothing but traffic between the hotel and the old town or the city center (Viru square). So you trade the convenience of being close to all the attractions and shops for the close proximity to ferry terminal (thus no need to take taxi, which don't have a standard rate)....give and take.

Don't expcet shops and restaurants (other than the one in hotel) nearby.

I choosed this hotel mainly because it's very close to the habour and I was going to take a 8am ship. It's only a short walk to the pier if you take Viking line or Eckerö line (ok, not exactly short if you have heavy luggage). Tram station is not exactly at the door of the hotel but a short few minutes walk. I went to the hotel by Tram No.2 from Tallinn coach station (arrived Tallinn early in the morning by bus from Vilnius). Tram No.3 can take you to Kadriorg palace.

Front desk: I arrived the hotel at around 8am, and they allowed an early check-in when I asked for a place to leave my suitcase.. great. Communication is no problem (I suppose using English is not a problem for any hotels in Tallinn), everything went smoothly.

Room: The room was a little close to the elevator so it could be a little noisy if other guests talk loudly. My room was a non smooking room but I saw a tiny bit cigarette burns on the table and bathroom. Overall the room was clean, as was the bed and bathroom.

Breakfast: I had breakfast on my check-in date instead of my check-out date since their breakfast starts at 8am, too late for one catching a 8am ship. I think most hotel start serving breakfast at 7am. Breakfast is fine, not great, that's reasonable I suppose.

Overall it's a very good basic hotel (I don't swim or go gym when I travel) and is excellent for the price. It'd be a very good choice if you just go to Tallinn by Viking or Eckero line (not sure about other line) for a short stay.

Room Tip: stay away from the elevators
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Oliver L, Front Office Manager at Tallink Express Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Tallink Express Hotel for your stay in Tallinn. We thank you for the positive comment you left. We are delighted to hear that you appreciated our clean rooms, good location and reasonable prices. We do hope to welcome you back in our hotel.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Stayed one night in this hotel. This hotel is situated near the harbour and the old town. The room was clean and recently renovated. The breakfast was good but rather basic. This hotel has a very good quality/price ratio.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Oliver L, Front Office Manager at Tallink Express Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Reviewed February 3, 2014

This hotel would be perfect choice for the people, who travels not only by ferry boats. Located near the port, but in the same time it's very close to the downtown, what is perfect option because of noise in the centre. Stylish rooms, new furniture, not bad breakfast, nice helpfull staff, but in my opinion too hard beds. So I've got very pisitive impression from my stay there.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Oliver L, Front Office Manager at Tallink Express Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Jenny,

Thank you for choosing Tallink Express Hotel for your stay in Tallinn. We thank you for the positive comment you left. We are delighted to hear that you appreciated our good location. The beds could be little bit hard beacuse these are very new. We do hope to welcome you back in our hotel.