“Perfect Tallinn exploration base”

My City Hotel Tallinn
Ranked #8 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed March 3, 2012

This clean hotel with friendly staff is located ideally for all sorts of activities in Tallinn. Try the private sauna!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Rikta
There are newer reviews for My City Hotel Tallinn

Reviewed February 28, 2012

Easy walking to all old town attractions. Staff quite friendly. Superior room is good size with very comfy bed. Maid service okay, not brilliant. Breakfast is great, lots of choice. Good value for money overall. Would definitely stay again.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

Location, location, location.......100 metres from the essential places you want to go and see. So close to the main square and the shopping centres outside the old town (you can see the Solaris Centre from the front door...definately go to Vapiano there and an excellent food store which was a combination of Waitrose and Whole Foods).

The staff are very welcoming and helpful. I emailed a couple of times before our visit and their responce was quick and friendly.They helped us with directions and trams to the Kristine shopping complex and the Samba Pool Club (both worth a visit).

The rooms are very clean. Breakfast has an excellent selection and staff, although the 'hot' food could be alot warmer. Unfortuantely the day we booked the sauna room the jacuzzi was broken....but these things happen. We will try it next time.

Noice.......the club which people have mentioned is the coloseum looking building out the front. We stayed Sunday to Friday morning and only heard people outside on Thursday night (think it was student night) going in. We did however hear the clearing of snow with diggers and shovels at 4am one morning.....again to be expected as the streets are kept gritted and swept to an incredible standard. If I was staying again (now I have had a fix of people watching) I would try to stay out the back of the hotel.

I would also recommend a superior room especially with coffee making facilities (I have taken a travel kettle to other hotels as many rooms don't seem to offer this service. When its -25 outside you need a kettle!). I also like the idea of the family rooms (I think they have a dividing door).......next visit with 2 teenagers!

Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PJCounter
KilluMaidla, General Manager at My City Hotel Tallinn, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for this very positive and detailed review. I'm glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and rate the hotel so highly!
I'm also thankful for your comments about the hot food in breakfast buffet - will keep an eye on this and hopefully it will not be issue in the future.
Once again - thank you for staying with us and for sharing the comments here. We are looking forward to welcome you in My City Hotel again. In case you decide to tarvel with your kids, we do have rooms with connecting door - please send the request directly to us, so we can allocate the correct rooms for your family. Welcome back!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

The location of the hotel is perfect. dead centre tallinn & within walking distance of pretty much everything worth visiting in Tallinn (old town, museums, shopping or nightlife)

The rooms were very clean, beds were comfortable, rooms included a safe that was free to use as well.

we enjoyed the complete & varied breakfast. The staff was friendly & helpfull, room cleaning service was flexible when we had partied late the night before & couldnt manage to get out of bed at a reasonable time.

overall great experience. i cant think of any negative remarks.

Reviewed February 19, 2012

The best aspect if this hotel was it's proximity to all the attractions in the heart of the Old Town. Considering this, we found it fantastic value for money. The hotel itself was clean and warm, despite the bitter cold temperature outside and the staff were very efficient and friendly. There was a good variety of food on offer at breakfast and the opportunity to book the hotel's private spa for €20 an hour should not be missed (get in early, unsurprisingly it books up)! The only downside for us was the noise from the square beneath our window on the Sarurday night, although not dreadful it was enough to keep us both awake for some time. I guess this is the trade off for such a central location however and I must state, it was not a problem on the other 3 nights of our stay.

Other tips, although not massively inspiring from the outside, the Reval coffee/wine bar across from the hotel was a great place to visit and stayed open fairly late. Also, transport from the airport couldn't have been easier, catching the 90K buse from directly outside the terminal, getting off at Feedon Square (4th stop and literally 15 min drive) and walking 5 mins to the hotel. This only cost €2 and runs every half hour.

4  Thank MichelleBrighton
KilluMaidla, General Manager at My City Hotel Tallinn, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2012

Dear Ms Brighton,

thank you for your stay with us and for your very positive review!
I am happy to read you have enjoyed your trip to Tallinn. Your good words about our team and breakfast are really heartwarming.
Thank you also for bringing up the sauna. I would rather not call it spa.... it's just a sauna with a nice jacuzzy for guests private use. I'm glad you loved it!

Once again - thank you for your review and for staying with us and always welcome back!

Reviewed February 17, 2012

For location, this hotel couldn't be better. It's located on the edge of the old town, but right in the heart of things. It's a five minute walk to the main square and you can cover the whole of the wonderful medieval old town from here with ease.

The hotel is beautifully clean. We chose a superior room, as I wanted the extra space and a work desk. We were not disappointed with the size of the room. It also had a huge bathroom. Warm, cosy with bathrobes and constant hot water. Rooms are a good size and cleaned thoroughly every day.

Breakfast is served from 7- 10. There's a good range of cereals, fruit juices, cold meats, bread, croissants, eggs as well as hot food : pancakes, bacon beans, potatoes, scrambled eggs, etc.

We asked for a room with a view and we overlooked the street. The double glazing helped keep the noise of the bulldozers clearing the snow during the night and we both slept soundly. One disappointment, and it was an issue for me, was the wifi. The hotel advertises free wifi, and it certainly is free. However, by the time you get to the fourth floor, the signal disappears except when you are out in the corridor and by the lift. This was a problem as I had asked for a room with a desk so I could do some work. Consequently, I had to catch up with things in the breakfast room or out in cafes. Not ideal. I mentioned this to the man at reception and he admitted the signal was weak. It would also have been good to be able use my iPad for general browsing in my room

The Valli Baar, Reval cafe and St Patricks are only yards from the hotel and serve good food and beer. A little further afield we ate well at Molly Malone's and Hell Hunt on Pikk. Avoid the Texas Cantina, the waitresses all seem to have miserable faces the the welcome is less than warming. If you're not on a budget, the the Old Hansa is clearly worth a visit as are the other restaurants on the medieval square. Food is good value and fairly priced for Europe these days. Wine is rather expensive compared go the UK but beer is cheap and plentiful.

Tallinn Old Town is fabulous, but you should also get out to Kadrioig Park on a No, 1 tram and see the Peter the Great palace and gardens.

Taxi from the airport cost 15€. We went in February. It's a beautiful place in the snow. Wrap up warm!

Room Tip: If you need to use wi-fi, check the strength of the signal in your room on booking.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your positive review! Your compliments on comfortable and clean rooms, good breakfast buffet and our central location are really highly appreciated.
I am very sorry that you had issues with WiFi - one of the WiFi devices has stopped working these days and we will replace it within a week now.

I am glad you have enjoyed your trip to Tallinn and you recommend our city to other travellers - it is beautiful even with snow as you mentioned. I also hope your travel will bring you back here - we at My City Hotel will be more then happy to welcome you back here!

Reviewed February 13, 2012

A beautifully restored old building in a hard-to-beat location right in the centre of Old Tallinn. Perfect for a short break as you'll waste no time travelling around by taxis or public transport as everything is within a couple of minutes walk from the doorstep.

Numerous options for eating and drinking in the immediate vicinity. The square outside can be a little noisy until very late of a Friday and Saturday night as there is a popular nightclub in the building opposite. However, the windows are triple glazed so noise was never a problem once I was inside the hotel and I had a room right at the front, nearest to the nightclub entrance.

Staff were helpful and friendly throughout and Sunday morning check-out took seconds. As always, rates vary and I got a good rate by booking early. Bearing in mind the standard of the hotel and the superb location though I think I'd have been quite happy to pay a little more for the convenience of being in the centre of the Old Town. Ten minutes from the airport in a taxi for €10. Definitely one to bear in mind.

One tip - the room safe is key operated and you need to get the key from reception. If you plan to use the safe ask for a key when you check-in otherwise, like me, you'll have to walk back down to get it.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
KilluMaidla, General Manager at My City Hotel Tallinn, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you for staying with us and for your very detailed and positive feedback!
I am sure this gives very good overview about the location as well as hotel for our future guests, but I also hope we will have the possibility to welcome you back here. Perhaps during the summer, when there's so much more to explore in Tallinn and also weather is much warmer?

Once again, from all our team - thank you for all the positive words and always welcome back!