“Excellent Quality”

Cuisines: European, Scandinavian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 23, 2013

This is another restaurant which was recommended on TA. We turned up one night and was told the restaurant was fully booked, so had to book a table for the next day. But when we got there, they didn’t’ seem to have our names down, but gave us a table anyway. We noticed there were tables available upstairs, ironically, people were turned away.

We nearly rolled out of the restaurant after the meal and never got to dessert as the main course was more than enough. My friend had elk meat which was extremely tender. The bread was light and very tasty, we tried not to eat too much so to save space for main course – didn’t quite work out though. The service was also very good.

I would suggest booking a table beforehand.

1  Thank Kimichimii
Write a ReviewReviews (5,159)

Reviewed December 22, 2013

We were yesterday there and it was absolutely wonderful excellent food and the service even better we had goat cheese salad estonian cheese platter and elk.
All really excellent.
They make bread them self and so so so delicious.
Really worth a visit

1  Thank Peter B
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

But.. We lost two Days of our vacation puking and having diaré.... If you will risk half your time in Tallinn on the toilet, this is the place.

9  Thank Fredrik S
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We visited this place with high expectations because of the great reviews, but were a little disappointed with the food. The starters - mushrooms and a salad - were good, but the portions were quite small. Main dishes were okay, the vegetables were unfortunately a bit undercooked. The main dishes were also small for what you usually get. Service in this place was great, and the interior of this place is beautiful.

Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

I am estonian and came to visit Tallinn with my boyfriend for a few days just to do some Xmas shopping and take some estonian food back to the UK.
We were looking somewhere nice to go for a meal and found Rataskaevu 16 on Tripadvisor nr 1 position, deservedly so, it was just very very good. My boyfriend is a chef and isn't easy to please but he was genuinely impressed by the simple yet delicious estonian food. We had a beef soup, salted salmon and shared the traditional meat jelly called sült for starters, all very good. The freshly baked pumpkin bread is to die for , my partner said he hasn't had such a nice bread for a long time. For mains we chose the elk and pork fillet which were both delicious. Traditional estonian bread pudding was lovely, so was the buckthorne ice cream but by that time I was completely full yet very happy indeed to have come to this amazing restaurant.
The service was very good and friendly, our waiter was warm and knowledgable, I think his name was Joonas, made us feel right at home, he recommended us thistly cross ciders which were so good that we asked to buy two bottles to go :) cause it is from micro brewery and not so widely spread.
All in all if you're visiting Tallinn and want to go for a good meal with amazing value, where service is warm and friendly and food is traditional estonian and delicious , you should not miss Rataskaevu 16. Trust me I'm estonian :)))