“Masala Restaurant in Tallinn - New Location in the Heart of Town”
Review of Masala

Masala
Ranked #766 of 1,015 Restaurants in Tallinn
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Same quality, which is very high, in a much better location - right in Tallinn's historical center -, and excelent service. It is even cosier now.

3  Thank Alexander W

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were living in Swissotel and this restaurant is near by so we just walked in. First 10 minutes no one came to serve us. And food took over 30 minutes to get prepared which is actually not any hotel standard. It was too spicy despite our request of not putting too much spice. Worst Indian food I ever had in Europe. Except location of this restaurant nothing is good about it. Quantity and quality of food is too low. Price are high as compared to other Indian hotels in Europe. From my opinion masla is a crap restaurant. I wish I would have read the Tripadvisor before.

2  Thank Rudy V
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The restaurant is cold and there is no heating except few electric heaters. We ordered Indian bread nan and they were too crispy and cold. Nan broke in my hand before I could put in my mouth. One girl serving the entire restaurant. Washroom stinks and no hand tissues or hand wash. Too expensive and not worth what you pay for.I won't advise anyone to visit masala restaurant. As you can get better food at other restaurants.

3  Thank Rainer A
Reviewed January 5, 2013

People have their food preferences but what you can't argue with is quality. Food in Masala Lounge is ok, very much average, even the praised Chicken Tikka Masala. But there is one trait that runs through everything i was served - it's all very thin. Watery. Too liquid. Meaning dals have barely any lentins in them, the same Chicken Tikka Masala only few pieces of meat etc; even their masala chai tasted like liquid from rinsing out the cups after drinking proper masala chai: no creaminess, no strength of black tea, no balanced spices. Frankly it tasted like masala chai you can buy from grocery shop. That being said the food wasn't bad, but i personally like my food with some content. The place itself has very little armosphere. The name Masala 'Lounge' made me think of soft pillows, spicy colors, metal lamps and fragrant smells. Instead you get cold walls, so-so service, random seating, weird wall art and definitely no experience from it all.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

There are no good Indian restaurants in Estonia. POINT.
We gave Masala a try but will not go back. The food is slightly below average and quite expensive. IT's not difficult to make good food, Masala just needs to improve some small things to be succeed. Like do not use the smallest shrimps ever in the soups, but 2 larger ones and the customers will be happy :-) I do not want to search for shrimps in the soup :-) Skip the burnt bits of bread in the tomato soup. Do not overcook the King Prawns in the Sizzler dish, it's one of the most expensive dishes in the menu, so make sure that if someone pays 25 eur that he or she will be satisfied :-) Give some more chicken in the chicken kebab dish, chicken is cheaper than prawns :-)
Pity, coz Masala has the potential to be great, because the staff looks like they should know what is good (the guys looked Indian ;-), location is good, interior and atmosphere is right, the service is OK...
I have been eating Indian food in several countries (including Sweden and Singapore) and I know that the real Indian can do better even in Tallinn.