“Nice dishes, especially tapas, perfect service !”
Review of Alter Ego

Alter Ego
Ranked #241 of 970 Restaurants in Tallinn
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Spain in the middle of Tallinn.
Zuienkerke, Belgium
“Nice dishes, especially tapas, perfect service !”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

If you want a nice lunch, or a nice tapas evening with good wines and a fantastic service this is the place to be. Nice little square just next to the old city, nice terrace by sunny weather. And : if you like seabass prepared "al sal" (in salt crust) this is a fantastic dish here (18 euro). One of the adresses of Tallinn !

• Visited April 2014

• Finnish first
Tallinn
“Nice chillout place to watch people passing by”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

The nicest thing about this restaurant is the opportunity to chill out and watch people passing by thanks to the huge windows. In the menu there is a big selection of tapas (that I shall try maybe next time). I was not that impressed by the food. I took a fancy sounding roasted vegetables and halloumi salad with mixed leaf and couscous and harissa dressing. And in fact there were three tiny bits of halloumi and one piece of grilled green bell pepper. There were a lot of different tastes that did not mix so well. The chanterelle soup was also kind of bitter. The dessert was called "oven baked dark chocolate brownie on warm hazelnut soup and espresso ice cream". It sounded super fancy but it was just very good brownie with some white sauce and ice cream. It was surprising that at 13.00 several dishes on the menu were already finished. The service was friendly but it was very difficult to catch the attention of waitresses when we wanted a refill.

Copenhagen, Denmark
“Nice spot in Tallinn”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

My last trip to Tallinn (maybe had 100 so far) really took me by surprise. I thought I had been eating most places in Tallinn and they all more or less looked and tasted the same.

Last night epic dinner at NOA was followed up by a very nice meal. Obviously it didn't live up to NOA, but I still believe it was my second best meal in Tallinn.

A few hundred meter outside the Old Town behind the Coca Cola Plaza cinema, which makes it easy to find. The restaurant is nicely decorated and spot is pretty cool.

The theme for starters was very spanish with some nice tapas. Main dishes was more European style with a touch of Estonia. I had the game which was pretty nice, even its not my favorite.

Wine card wasn't to exciting, but we found a good wine at decent money,

All in all a very good experience and I would love to come again.

Helsinki, Finland
“Go and enjoy”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We chose this place for business dinner by recommendation and a good choice it was. The starters (tapas) were something between good and very good but my main course (meat, metshirvi) was excellent, although I did not like the add-on forest mushrooms that much. Service was the excellent part of this experience and that really made our night there!

Finland
“Nicest service in Tallinn”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

After getting grumpy in Tallinn (especially in Chedi) we were greeted by a friendly waitress at Alter Ego. One of us have visited Alter Ego 3 years ago and had fond memories of the place.

We ordered hummus, deep fried potatoes, chicken croquettes, grilled artichokes and mussels, Escalivada, pork belly, goat cheese and tomato tart. Even though we loved the service and atmosphere, the food was a bit of a pleeh: potatoes were not crispy, hummus was not seasoned, chicken croquettes bland, meat in pork belly was not tender and a bit dry.

We loved goat cheese & tomato tart, crispy cracking of pork belly and grilled artichokes with mussels. And our wonderful waitress.

The place was very much empty on Saturday night (compared to the scene 3 years ago), made us wonder if Alter Ego has lost its touch?

• Visited February 2014