“Utter chaos”

Old Estonia
Ranked #911 of 1,249 Restaurants in Tallinn
Cuisines: Eastern European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Typical Estonian food in the center of Tallinn, came and enjoy our view on historical Raekoja Square. We are located in the main square of Tallinn (Raekoja Plats 8) with enchanting view on the old municipality building and cozy summer terrace. Our summer terrace is open from 9.00 AM to 1 AM, with live music every evening.
Reviewed April 22, 2019 via mobile

We were seated by the greeter in the square. We ordered drinks to begin with. After 10 minutes another server came to take our order anew. 10 more minutes we asked about the drinks. 10 more minutes the drinks arrived. Same story about getting the check. While there the staff were constantly fighting amongst themselves.
Cannot recommend

Date of visit: April 2019
TuleEstonia, Manager at Old Estonia, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2019

Hey Helgi B!
Thank you so much for the feedback! :)
We are sorry to hear about your negative experience! :)
We have addressed the issues with the staff!

Reviewed April 13, 2019 via mobile

I stopped for dinner on my last night in Tallinn. I liked the location on the main square and the menu looked good.
The food was nice but they brought my soup and my main course (wild boar dish) at the same time instead of staggering the dishes.
Also it was quite pricey, more than any other restaurants I had already dined at in the same area.

Date of visit: April 2019
TuleEstonia, Manager at Old Estonia, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2019

Hey outofofficereplyon!
Thank you so much for the feedback! :)
We have addressed your concerns, that the soup and the main course had been coming to the table at the same time. Since some of the staff is new, we give our best to train them well every day, but sometimes mistakes still happen :)
As far as the prices go, we do offer some daily specials for the lighter wallet as well! :)

Reviewed April 9, 2019 via mobile

On a cool March afternoon stopped off for 2 coffee's on the square. Very nice, but expect to paye Tallinn Square prices. Average.

1  Thank davide79_12
TuleEstonia, Manager at Old Estonia, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2019

Hey davide79_12!
Thank you so much for the feedback!
Hope to see you again one day so you could also try the food! ;)

Reviewed April 2, 2019

Not too sure what was going on here. One weeknight whilst visiting the old main square, we were peering into a restaurant called Old Estonia which looked quite attractive in an ethnic way, but was completely empty. Whilst doing so, a friendly guy hanging around outside approached us waving a laminated menu with a pictorial depiction of individual dishes. He then explained that Old Estonia was also located in the adjacent restaurant, even though the name Revalia was above the door, and this was the part which was actually open. Breaking my own personal rule of never going into a place when encouraged by a house stooge, we went in. Not quite the same interesting interior, just a bar and rather a plain room.

Once inside there was another friendly guy brandishing same menu who was keen to talk through each dish individually to help us make a choice. He was probably glad to engage as the only other customers were leaving as we arrived. It was about 8.00 p.m. Rather surprised it was so empty as we were in a prime position by a large window overlooking the handsome medieval town square.

I didn't struggle too much with the menu as it was largely focussed on grilled meat. I'd been rather taken with the idea of blood sausage and I wasn't disappointed. Two rather short fat sausages wrapped in bacon, on a bed of sauerkraut, with a fresh salad and a cranberry dip was an excellent choice. Really quite an enjoyable meal. Estonian blood sausage is exactly like the british black pudding; same taste, same consistency.

Mrs EPR was not quite as enthused about the chicken skewer as she felt the chunks of chicken were undercooked. However, she too had a fresh salad and also a mayo dip. We shared a dish of fries which were hot and crispy.

Have to say that he choice of wine was quite good and priced very reasonably.

An oddity about both meals was that they were slightly less than depicted on the pictorial menu. Instead of three sausages, I got two and Mrs EPR's two skewers arrived as one. Of course, whilst I could have easily eaten one more sausage, Mrs EPR was quite glad to have one less chicken skewer!

We certainly had room for dessert, but I noticed that the cold cabinet near the door had one solitary item available and it was pretty clear from the movement of staff behind us that they would prefer it if we left sooner rather than later without dessert even being an option. I asked for the bill instead, which arrived in record time.

We were probably in residence for less than hour before we were back out in the main square again. But although our visit was a little strange I will remember the blood sausages very fondly.

Date of visit: March 2019
TuleEstonia, Manager at Old Estonia, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2019

Hey ElmParkRoyal!
Thank you so much for the feedback! :)
We are indeed just starting the season, so the evenings sometimes may be a bit empty.
We are glad that we got to offer fast service and that you had a great experience with our blood sausages! :)

Reviewed March 23, 2019 via mobile

No atmosphere (I was there on a Saturday night!), food was VERY expensive (‘main meal’ does not come with anything other than meat!!! And was over €18!!!). Beers very expensive (€7.90 each). Terrible!! Service not very good either. I live in London and this cost me more than an expensive meal in London!!!! How is this possible???! The food was only average as well. So disappointed, especially as it was my last night in Tallinn which had been lovely other than this. I had eaten on other restaurants on the main square and hey had all been excellent food, real meals (not just meat), and normal priced beer. Don’t go here, you will be disappointed. Also, I see the management like to comment on these posts, but please don’t bother on this one... just provide a real meal for the price you charge and charge less for beer instead

Date of visit: March 2019
TuleEstonia, Manager at Old Estonia, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2019

Hey Adamj7777!
Thank you so much for the feedback! :)
We are really sorry to hear you had a negative experience with us! :(