“Attractive, distinctive ...and romantic”

OldHouse Apartments
Ranked #9 of 115 Specialty Lodging in Tallinn
Reviewed February 3, 2012

OldHouse has a number of apartments spread around the old town, ours is located at the furthest end of Pikk Street, one of Tallinn's best known attractions. Despite its central location it is very quiet and peaceful on the top floor and the rear of the building, with excellent views across the old city and the port.

The apartment is attractively and distinctively furnished. It is well equipped, with a modern nordic feel - a pleasant change to the clinical, minimalist feel of many rentals. In the depths of the Estonian winter it was very warm, with a very smart wood-burning stove, multiple lighting options, and a wonderful bed for a romantic stay. The many windows and two balconies gave great views over the city rooftops by night and day. It was impeccably clean and well-maintained.

My slight criticism is the lack of a 'welcome pack' of essential supplies, except tea and coffee, as there are few general stores in the old town, particularly if you arrive late as we did. Being an attic apartment, some of the ceilings and door frames are low and you need to watch your head. But to me that just added to the quirky character of this lovely apartment.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aval
There are newer reviews for OldHouse Apartments

Reviewed January 12, 2012

On arrival the receptionists greeted us with estonian warm drinks, we had to wait an hour for our room but they gave us a detail map of where we could go to explore. When we came back our apartment was a 5 minute walk from the main reception but the receptionist showed us the whole way there which was lovely. We have the Vene N room with the room dowstairs and it was gorgeous! Very pleased with the apartment! :)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2011

We had an apartment with three bedrooms in Vene 23 in the old town. It was large, tidy and nice, beautiful furniture, a fireplace and there were even champagne and wine glasses. Should get back when the weather is suitable for using the terrace.

Room Tip: Room 9 at Vene 23 was great for 6 persons willing to sleep in double beds: fireplace, terrace, large...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We stayed at Vene 1 very nice place, the reception was the other end of the old town but not a long walk with the young lady whom took us there, apartment was nice, clean and warm it faced a court yard with violin music floating around from the music teacher there, the down side was the offensive "house Rules" you are MADE to sign informing you of FINES which you will have to pay for things like smoking in the apartment, making noise after 11pm and leaving gates open etc some as high as 500Euro, they also asked for your credit card number on the bottom of the House rules Sheet, " I don't think so" especially as the gate to the court yard was found open on many occasions as it is not only used by us but by all the music students entering the court yard, NO washing machine, but all kitchen equipment there, loads of loo roll, bathroom was not the best, in fact it was a bit damp and mouldy not suprising really as there where no extractor fans and no windows for the bathroom, also drains made a wonderful "ploping sound" for around half an hour after water had been drained down them both sink and basin which brings me to my moan the bathroom basin, how on earth do you shave in a basin with no plug? instead you have to carry the bowl from the kitchen sink (no plug there either) and fill it plop him in the basin and shave from that, not really the best idea.
All in all.
1) No washing machine
2) No plugs (Basin & Sink)
3) Bathroom need updating
4) House rules are quite offensive, Nakes you wonder what type of client they have staying there!
Apart from these silly moans the rest of the stay was great, apartment was nice, warm, clean and an abundance of towels, they left us a bottle of wine (red) but quickly changed it to white with no promting at all, the area the aprtment was in was quite, no bars etc around you not in the middle of the old town but on the outskirts and a two min walk from a rather good supermarket, basically out of the gate vere left through the town wall past the indian restaruant turn right at the end of this ally, walk about 2 min the car park to the supermarket is obvious I think it was called Rimmi.
Apart from the 4 points above I can not fault it at all and would happily stay in Vene 1 again, insidentally there as two VERY good eateries if you turn left when you leave and walk to the end of the road, then turn left again up the little hill around half way up a Russian eatery and just at the top of the hill look right and there is a wonderful "cafe" which does very cheap GOOD day time meals. Wonderful city and they have a Lido in Solaris shoping center which is excellent value.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We stayed in the Pikk Street apartment for 4 nights and we didn't want to leave!

The apartment was absolutely huge, with a log fire. We looked out the bedroom window and across the street was the Oleviste church. Quite frankly, the best view I have ever had from my window! We also got a complimentary bottle of wine as it was their 12th birthday.
The house smelt of log fires, which to me was a great. It was really cosy and comfortable, plenty of bedding and towels provided.

We were on Pikk street in the Old Town, about 5 minutes walk from the old town square, so it's location was excellent. There are loads of shops and restaurants along Pikk so you don't have to walk far to get great food.

Overall, I cannot recommend this place enough. We loved Tallinn so much we plan to go again (not something I normally want to do once I've seen somewhere). It hasn't been spoilt by tourism yet, so it's best to go now. If we do come again, I will go this time of year, and I will definitely use Old House Apartments again.

Room Tip: Can't speak for the hostels etc, but the Pikk street apartment was lovely. No noise whatsoever.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Very good furnished, very nice big apartment, the view is magic, plus free parking for guests. I recommend it for everybody.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights. I so wanted to give this apartment a great review. The first moment we walked into the apartment we were pleased. But then as each day went on our feelings changed.
The apartment itself was wonderful! Spacious, clean and beautifully decorated. Wonderfully comfortable double bed with lots of nice pillows and comforters.
Kitchen with stove, oven, fridge, freezer, coffee maker, sink, dishwasher, utensils, pots, pans, wine opener, cutting knives, etc. Iron, ironing board.
The bathroom was a bit sparse and had an odd layout as the shower was not enclosed (no bathtub which we didn’t mind at all). There was a washing machine in there as well but it didn’t work (more on that later). There was also had a towel warmer.
There was a nice sauna in the bathroom which was a nice added bonus.
Free, fast wi-fi in the room.

The 2 main problems we encountered were the lack of any sort of service when we needed something and NOISE!

First, as soon as we got there we had been traveling for about 6 days and wanted to do a load of laundry and discovered the washing machine was out of order.
I happened upon the owner of the property in the hall (as she was living in the apartment next door). Her first response when I asked about the broken washing machine was “You just got here, why do you need to do laundry?” Well, first of all, is that really the point? Also, having a washing machine was a consideration when choosing this apartment as we like to be able to do laundry so we can pack less.
Then she said that the apartment doesn’t come with detergent so we’d have to have brought our own anyway (which we did). Once I told her this and I think she could sense our frustration she actually offered to let us use her machine. We found this to be satisfactory and were happy with the offer.
We were told it wasn’t fixed because it was low season. That is not a satisfactory answer and you may or may not find you can wash your clothes if you rent this room. A few hours later our laundry was delivered back to us....so at this point we were still mostly satisfied with our choice of this apartment.

But as the days went on and we started needing things like toilet paper, we were quickly finding that service was completely lacking.
We asked on three separate occasions for more toilet paper and never got it the entire three days (we had to resort to our emergency travel roll we carry). The kitchen did not have any napkins. We also asked three times for this and didn’t get them until the very last day. Same with extra bath towels. The kitchen only came with one towel. We needed it to clean up a spill, so it would have been nice to have an extra...never got one after asking multiple times.

Again, if it were only this annoyance we still may have recommended this apartment.
But the noise was the last straw.
The first night was quiet and we had no problems.
The second night we apparently had some neighbors upstairs that were night owls and felt the need to trudge across their apartment ALL NIGHT long. And we actually travel with a noise machine and we both use earplugs and still we could hear the noise from upstairs.
But it was the last night that put the nail in the coffin of my good review.
Let me mention that we were made to sign something saying that we would make no noise after 11pm. Well on our last night (when we had to wake up at 4am to depart for the airport the next morning) construction noise started right after 11pm and went until at least 2am! I’m talking hammering and drilling. I almost couldn’t believe my ears! I kept thinking I must be in a bad dream. Are they really hammering and drilling at one o’clock in the morning??????
And there was no one to complain to because reception closes at 8pm.
And the next morning we had to leave before reception opened so I never even got to ask them what in the world was going on.

They did set up a taxi to be waiting for us at 4:45 AM and that went off without a hitch.

There were many things we really loved about this place and so wanted to be able to highly recommend it. It is in a beautiful old building with the original winding staircase in the hall and original beams on the ceiling of the apartment. The location is superb, just steps from Raekoja Plats (the main square). But over the course of our stay the noise and lack of customer service just began to overpower the good feelings we had about the place and therefore we feel we cannot recommend this beautiful apartment.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple