“Convienient and good value”

von Stackelberg Hotel Tallinn
Ranked #14 of 83 Hotels in Tallinn
London
“Convienient and good value”
Reviewed May 23, 2010

I stayed here over new years and really enjoyed my stay. The hotel is in a historic building but the interior is modern. The rooms are a little Ikea-esque and I would have liked something with a little more character but for the price we definitely couldn't complain. The room and the hotel in general was very cleanly and the staff were helpful. We had a really nice stay. The only problem was with noise if there is a party going on in the function room and the early morning clearing of snow in the courtyard which we could have done without but otherwise I would totally recommend this hotel. Great location close to the Old Town.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Australia
Reviewed March 3, 2010

I checked into this hotel for a two night stay. When I got to the room, found out that the internet wasn’t working, so asked reception to come and have a look at it. Before they got there, went to the bathroom and found out that the toilet had not been cleaned. You should have seen the receptionist’s face when I told her I would like a room move – “Ah, a room move? Really?” I mean, are you SERIOUS? I don’t know if it was the language barrier of just plain lack of care, but she made me follow her back to reception, gave me a twin rooms (because we haven’t got anymore kings available) – fine – clean toilet? Hahaha – you gotta laugh so you don’t scream! During those two days I did everything I could to spend as little time in this hotel as possible. I gotta say that the location is quite good, at the bottom of old town – a quick stroll away, but I didn’t find the area didn’t have much to offer as far as nightlife/restaurants go. I would definitely recommend you stay elsewhere. I would have had I not pre-paid my entire stay – if you also have, make sure you bath in flip flops…

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank Inspector_to_be
Finland
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Stayed in this hotel two nights and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The staff is very incompetent both in the reception and in restaurant.

The rooms are quite OK, stayed in ZEN room with Jacuzzi (a normal bath tub with jacuzzi function). The room had a tiny roof window which was covered by the snow, so you didn't have any views or daylight. How ZEN is that? Asked for another room, but I was told the hotel was full booked. I checked their webpages (internet free of charge in the room, which was nice) and surprise surprise among their booking system they had many ZEN rooms available.

The walls of the room were very thin and you could listen to your room neighbor having a family discussion in the middle of the night. The door had no isolation either, so you had all noise from corridors too. So no good nights here....

On arrival the receptionist told us that the breakfast on Sunday would be until 11. However, when we next morning went to the restaurant at 10:30, the waiter told us that the restaurant was already closed. We went back to reception and another receptionist confirmed that the breakfast was until 11. We went back with receptionist and she told they will fill up again some food which they didn't. We had to ask some bread and cheese. Next morning we decided to arrive on time (the breakfast should start at 7). We arrived about ten past seven and the door was closed. However, it was unlocked and we got inside. The waiter gave us a grimace and looked us like what the HELL you ARE doing here. There were already some breakfast items, but not all. However, the breakfast seems to below the average but we cannot tell.

This hotel is very reasonably priced but there are many many better hotels in thesame price category in Tallinn. Try for example Nordic Hotel Forum instead. The jacuzzi was one reason for us to book this hotel but the bad management ruined it all. We won't definitely come back.

Be aware of not booking the taxi through the reception. If you call by yourself a taxi as we did you will pay aprox 55 crowns to the airport. The hotel would charge you 285 crowns. Event the receptionist told us that he finds the price a rip-off after having a discussion.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
uk
Reviewed February 8, 2010

this is a first class hotel both location to the old town and the amenities the Restaurant is very good value and has very good staff, the rooms are very clean and well equipted the hotel as a very up market feal we have stopped at some of the top hotels and for value for money this is a very good hotel would recomend this to an one thanks to all the staff and managment for a trully welcoming stay

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple