“Lovely Tallinn Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 82 Hotels in Tallinn
San Francisco, California
“Lovely Tallinn Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

My boyfriend and I traveled to Tallinn and stayed at the Von Stackelberg Hotel for 1 week during our vacation. Immediately on arrival, we had a warm greeting and were impressed by the cleanliness of the hotel and the modern decor. We reserved a basic room and though it was small, it was incredibly cozy and clean and had a lovely courtyard view. There was plenty of storage space in the closet and the bathroom was roomy and clean. We enjoyed the daily buffet-style breakfast and the hotel's proximity to Old Town, to a bus/trolley station, and to the ferry terminal. We did not eat at the hotel's restaurant or use the spa but both of these seemed lovely. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would stay at the Von Stackelberg again!

Room Tip: Though the courtyard view is lovely, the staff were up early to sweep or leaf-blow the grounds and t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

I am a wheelchair user and cannot use steps and stairs. After seeing on the hotel's website that they had rooms that offered disabled access, I phoned the hotel to book one of these rooms. The receptionist on the phone was very helpful and told me that, although the main entrance to the hotel was inaccessible, there was a ramped side entrance and that some of the hotel staff would be there to meet me and my friend when we arrived.

When we got to the hotel, we were met by two members of staff but were told that the ramped entrance was "unsafe" and that they would have to carry me down. (The ramp turned out to be a temporary one that was not long enough to cover all of the steps). It was lucky that me and my wheelchair are fairly small as this would have not be possible if I had been using an electric wheelchair.

Every time my friend and I wanted to leave or come back into the hotel, my friend had to go to the main entrance to ask the staff to carry me in again. To make matters worse, the staff were incredibly rude and unhelpful to my friend telling her that they could not take me through this entrance as this was for staff only. We had to argue our way back in every time and the staff simply seemed not to believe that I was unable to use the stairs. There seemed to have been no communication between the staff that they was a visitor using a wheelchair who needed to use the side entrance.

I was left feeling extremely angry and humiliated by the hotel staff. Apart from when we arrived, every bit of help was given grudgingly and only after I had re-explained time and time again that, as a wheelchair user, I could not use stairs.. There was no improvement throughout the week. Unless the von Stackelberg decides to improve their access, it is completely ludicrous for them to describe themselves as a disabled accessible hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Lucy E
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

Stayed here in april with my mother sister and niece, first impression is very good, staff very helpful,rooms big airey and very comfortable, lovely bathrooms. Breakfast was fabulous everything you want and more very fresh. great location to the old part of Tallin just 5minute walk and short trip by taxi to airport 10-15 minutes......absolutely be going back here

Room Tip: rooms over court yard are lovely and quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank meloflynn
Bridgnorth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

This was our second visit to Tallinn and second time staying at this hotel after enjoying it so much last time. On arrival we were given a free upgrade to a zen room which was great. Top floor with a view over the courtyard. Room was very clean and internet worked perfectly. The location of this hotel is just outside of the old town, just a short 5-10 minute up the hill directly outside takes you right into the heart of the old town. Value for money is excellent!
Breakfast was good, there were plenty of hot and cold options to choose from.
We ate at the hotel restaurant one night and the food was amazing! We were the only people eating there at the time and I was surprised it wasnt busier seeing as the food and service is so good! We also had two great meals here on our last visit. I would reconmend everyone to eat there at least once. Granted there isnt a huge chioce on the menu but it is definately worth it for one evening at least.
The only problem we had was that a few days after we returned home, the hotel charged me 9 euros for 3 items from the minibar that we had not touched. Obviously the previous guests had taken them and it had not been stocked up. To be honest we didnt even look at the minibar so had no idea that this stuff had been taken. We contacted the hotel and the money was refunded, but I would advise people to check that their minibars are fully stocked!
Overall though we would definately recomend this hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the courtyard and upstairs as the rooms facing the street may be noisy due...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Craig W
Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

have just returned and really loved both city and hotel. Staff on reception made our holiday with their suggestions and assistance. Only there for four days and only saw a small proportion of the many places to visit. A place to return to in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank peter j
Parnu, Estonia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

The hotel gave us free upgrade to Zen room. The room have jaccuzi and computer with internet connection. The hotel have very cozy bar and yard and lift. The parking is in the closed area and cost 7 EUR for day, but they have free parking spaces too (but not in closed area). The room was spacious and bed was comfy.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

I stayed with my husband and was very happy with the experience. We received a complimentary upgrade and loved the room, large and full of character, and the bath with a jacuzzi was terrific. The bed was very comfortable. There was a good range of toiletries and the reception staff were extremely helpful.

Breakfast provided a variety but was not as hot as it could be, but my grand daughter loved it.

Very Estonian decor and situated very close to the Old Town.

I have stayed in most of Tallinn's hotels, but would definitely come back to this one.

Only snag - thee are a lot of steps if you have mobility problems.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family