“Overall:Ok!”

von Stackelberg Hotel Tallinn
Ranked #12 of 86 Hotels in Tallinn
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We reserved the Zen doubleroom. Our room was located at the third floor, ask for a room facing the backyard. The street outside is quite busy all through the night! The room was nice and the bathtub was lovely! Its really Nothing that's bad with the hotel, it's only little things that makes it average. OK bed, not great. OK breakfast, OK location. It's about 7-10 min walk from the oldtown.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Ellinoor
There are newer reviews for von Stackelberg Hotel Tallinn

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Good hotel with reasonable fares, just few minutes away from the crowded Old Town.
Modern rooms: mine was right on Paldiski Maantee, but the window seems to be a good barrier against the noisy traffic of the road!
The staff is very friendly.
I had to leave at 5.00 AM and I was positively surprised to finding a take-away breakfast they put aside for me (as far as my worldwide experience, only very few hotels were so kind to do that…)
Positive feedback!
Marco

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Marco196225
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Although the hotel is on a quite busy intersection, we had a room overlooking the courtyard, so were not bothered by road noise. On our arrival, it took the staff five minutes to convert our room from a double to a twin and for the whole of our stay, the staff were very pleasant and attentive. Breakfast was excellent, with a very wide choice available. It is only a five minute uphill stroll to Toompea and another five minutes downhill to the Old Town square, so the location is pretty near ideal. I would certainly stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Prudence D
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Me and my boyfriend had a really great stay at von Stackelberg Hotel. The greatness was due mainly to the factthat the staff was so nice and helpful and that the room was cosy and clean. It was also located within walking distance from the attractions in old town such as pubs, restaurants, museums and churches.

We booked a SPA treatment at the hotel which was a really nice expereince with professional SPA staff and a nice and calm environment.

It was also a good breakfast with lots of alternatives, both healty and little less healty food.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank malin h
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I couldn't fault this hotel at all. We stayed in a Zen Suite which was situated accross a beautiful courtyard away from the hotel. Our suite was very spacious with seating area desk and computer and the bathroom was equiped with a jacuzzi bath with all the toiletries you would need for your stay. We even had chocolates left on our bed placed on a litte poem which was a nice touch for us girls! We ate here in the evening on a couple of occasions and we thought the food was outstanding. As the weather was good we chose to eat in the courtyard which was lit up at night with lanterns and fairy lights. Breakfast was served in the cellar which was tastefully decorated and once again the choice of food covered all tastes. I really enjoyed my stay here and I would have no hesitation in staying here again. Thank you to all the staff that made our stay so wonderful. Caron & Tony.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CaronCronin
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I would love to be able to give the von Stackelberg 5 stars, because the staff were so helpful and overall it was great. But, as I will explain below, the wifi problems mean I can't. Let me say first that I don't understand why hoteliers advertise things they can't actually deliver on -- it only damages their reputation.

The von Stackelberg is the former city residence of Baron von Stackelberg, and it has been converted into a modern hotel. A colleague and I met in Tallinn for work and to have a bit of a break. We had basic rooms, and we asked for the courtyard side of the hotel. We got rooms on the 3rd floor with skylights but no view. That was fine, and it was quiet. The hotel is very very close to 2 busy roads, so I do believe the reviews that warn against rooms overlooking the road if you need quiet. The rooms were comfortable. I particularly appreciated the fact that there were tea and coffee making facilities in the room, as well as a small room safe for valuables.

The staff was very helpful throughout our stay. They helped us with directions, ordering taxis and so on, and all of them spoke excellent English. The breakfast buffet was extensive, including fish, meat, eggs, pastries, fruit, cheese -- everything you could want. It set us up for the day.

However, the wifi situation was not so ideal. The von Stackelberg has a no-password free wifi set up in the public areas. No problem with that. In theory, it also has free wifi in your room, This is a separate system because the old walls are so thick. It is also password-protected. For both me and my colleague, attempts to connect never produced a dialogue box to enter the password into, so we could not use it. We were using different computers, so clearly the problem is the system and not our computers. We also heard other guests were having similar problems. There is also a computer in each room. However, these are elderly. Mine worked, and I could take the cable from that and plug it into my laptop to get online. My problems were solved. The one in my colleague's room did not work, and despite the efforts of the staff to restore it to life, never really did. As a result, to communicate and send documents back and forth we ended up having to use the public areas so we could be online at the same time. It wasn't a disaster, but it was a nuisance. We heard other guests telling the front desk that the computers in their room weren't working. Estonia is supposed to be all wired up and cutting edge computer technology country, but the von Stackelberg hasn't got this sorted.

Finally, a note about accessibility and location. I have noticed some reviews from customers unhappy about these aspects. Here's what you need to know. There are about 8-10 steep steps up to the lobby. If you have mobility issues, this could be a deal breaker for you. No problem for most people. Second, the old town of Tallinn has 2 components -- the hill with the cathedral on top, and, to the East of it, the old town itself. The von Stackelberg is to the west of the hill. In other words, you are about 5-8 minutes walk away from the old town over the hill. This has the virtue of keeping you away from the drunks and noise of the old town late at night, but it does mean you need to go up and down the hill (or take a longer walk round it). Again, no problem to most people. But if you can't walk up a slope, you won't want to stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for the courtyard side of the hotel for quiet
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ChrisfromLondon
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The website and images looked great. We were looking forward to the relaxing in the candlelit reception area by the fire and relaxing in our robes in our Zen room after hitting the city of Tallinn. Overall is didn't live up to my expectations. The room was basic and the bathroom not so clean. There was also no robe or slippers as advertised and the TV reception was unwatchable. The bar was tiny fridge in the reception and it was never candlelit or particularly inviting.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple