“Loved Grandma's Place”
Review of Vanaema Juures

Vanaema Juures
Ranked #19 of 982 Restaurants in Tallinn
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This eating-place known for its good Estonian cuisine is without doubt among one of the best restaurants in the city. We offer traditional Estonian national dishes in cosy atmosphere. Bon appétit!
Reviewed June 9, 2012

The restaurant is situated below street level not far from the main square. Inside it's a traditional cosy old eatery with various nik naks that remind you of your grannies house. We were greeted by a very friendly waitress who remained that way for the whole meal. Bread was provided free, I had meatballs with a small salad to start then a steak for my main, steak was cooked to perfection with a rich plum sauce. My partner had orange caviar to start then fish in sauce with potatoes all of which were very good. We had two beers with our meal but no desserts and the bill came to 45 euros without the service charge which was very reasonable for what we got. Possibly advised to prebook a table as the restaurant soon filled up after we arrived. Definately go back to Grandma's Place if ever in Tallinn.

There are newer reviews for Vanaema Juures

Reviewed May 18, 2012

Had a lovely meal here on the last night of our stay in Tallinn. The restaurant itself is downstairs from street level and it as though you have walked into Grandma's house. The whole restaurant has a very homely feel to it. I had the elk roast and my husband the lamb with blue cheese sauce. The elk was delicious, huge chunks of very well cooked meat that just fell apart. There was a good selection of vegetables with the meat which included pickled pumpkin. The lamb was also good. My husband tried for dessert, Kama and I had the 'Grandma's cake'. The kama was a mixture of milled barley, wheat and rye mixed with sour cream, sounds unusual, has a slightly gritty texture but was surprisingly tasty. I had the Grandma's cake which was a type of cheesecake with a sponge base, just delicious. We had a drink with the meal and finished with a coffee each. The service was excellent. The bill was just over 45 euros (approx £37) and we felt it was good value for the meal we had.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

well, first time we went there is was 9 PM and they were closing. I don't know what kind of restaurant closes for dinner but... anyways.

Next day we went there for lunch and ordered two dishes. A few moments later we decided that two was too much food for only two people. So we cancelled one of them, it was no later than one minute after the order.

Since then, the staff started acting really impolitely.

The food was ok, nothing exceptional. But the price for an average meal was above average 13 euros for a regular dish.

After that I'm pretty sure that whenever in Tallin again I'll go to different places

Reviewed April 17, 2012

24 hours on I'm still drooling over Grandma's Sunday Roast! €13 well spent! Underground restaurant with the decor of items you would expect to find at an Estonian Grannie's house! Free selection of bread provided...nice touch on arrival. Also tried an Estonian Coffee similar to an Irish Coffee, nice end to a fab meal!

1  Thank BellaT14
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I had Elk which was nice but everyone else had Grandma's Sunday dinner which was excellent. Mains about €13 beer €3.