“Good place for a meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Forto Dvaras

Forto Dvaras
Ranked #19 of 754 Restaurants in Vilnius
Cuisines: European, Eastern European, Central European
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: FORTO DVARAS was the first restaurant in Lithuania to offer certified meals from the Gastronomic Heritage Foundation. These are meals made in the traditional way, using products of local origin. You can hear Lithuanian music playing in a cosy atmosphere of an old estate, decorated with elements of the old graphics and pictures from authentic books.
Hertfordshire
“Good place for a meal”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I decided to eat at the Forto Dvaras as while walking a few times along Pilies Street I noticed there were a lot of locals eating there which is usually a sign that the food is ok. The restaurant was not as expensive as others which was surprise as it is located in the centre of Vilnius on Pilies Street. There was a good choice of food and the restaurant had areas so can you sit and eat in relative quiet. Had a dinner twice at the restaurant, good food, nice chips, nice place for a fill up.

• Visited July 2013

Brighouse, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“good food”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We have had a five day stay in vilnius in September 2013 and we eat here 5 times during that stay. The service was good, as it was busy all the times we went and we manged to get the last table each time. We ate in the downstairs area once and the upstairs area the other times. The food did take a time to come out when ordering the chicken or salmon dishes but if you ordered the zeppelins and the potato cakes then it didn't take them a long time. One piece of advice is the dishes where it says they is a choice of dip, if you do want sour cream dip then you do need to ask for it when ordering as i found out to my cost on the final day. The potato cakes with the bacon on were tried once and throughly enjoyed. The zeppelins were tried but only the fried option.

Melbourne, Australia
“Have eaten here on numerous occasions”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Have eaten here on numerous occasions since 2009, and the first time was great.

Unfortunately, this has not been the case on the last two occasions. In 2012 I thought I would go there again after my first positive experience and was very disappointed. I ordered the 'Soup De Jour' to start, and when it came out, it was almost cold. I asked the (very polite) waitress to 'take it back and give me a hot one' - this happened another two times and nothing had changed.

After the third attempt to get some hot soup, and my appeals to the waitress (in Lithuanian), I thought it best not to push the issue even after explain to her (meant for the Chef), that I was also a Chef and hot soup should not be too difficult to organise - it appears for this Chef tonight, it was.

The waitress was wonderful, and it was not her fault if the Chef was an idiot, and I decided that I did not want soup that badly after all.

The main course was OK, but you do get what you pay for in Lithuania. This place clearly appeals to the budget-conscious, and I guess if that is the level of quality that you are used to, you may be half happy.

My third attempt was on September 21, 2013 on my next business trip for my company (Baltic Imports Australia), and unfortunately, nothing had changed.

I didn't bother with the soup, but just ordered the Rib Eye Steak. I was not asked how I wanted the beef cooked, and when it came out, was the most over-cooked pathetic excuse for a Rib Eye that I have seen in a long time.

And that's not all folks!

The bill (Saskaita), came to Lt 143.00, and we handed over Lt 150.00, and we waited, and waited, and waited. Nothing came back.

As this was a business expense, I needed my receipt for taxation purposes, and so I had to ask for one. There was never any mention of the Lt 7.00 change.

I was, and always do leave a tip providing I am happy, but I feel that it is more than a little presumptuous to assume that the change is for you.

Would I go back?

Vilnius, Lithuania
“Best zeppelins in town!”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Great way to experience Lithiania! Cheap, cozy, nice looking waitresses, good location and best zeppelins in town!

Warsaw, Poland
“Nice and yummy”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The place is nicely located at Pilies (Castle) Street, close to the old University buildings on one side and a short walk to Cathedral to the opposite direction. In the winter cosy cellars inside and in summer time a small garden outside. They serve traditional Lithuanian food, the choice is quite huge, the sizes of dishes large and it tastes good. Of course they have zeppelins (meat and cheese/curd filled). The service is quick and polite, nothing to complain for. At Sunday lunch time quite busy. Cheap.