“Excellent fine-dining in Scandinavian minimalist design”
Review of Lauro lapas

Lauro lapas
Ranked #42 of 839 Restaurants in Vilnius
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Excellent fine-dining in Scandinavian minimalist design. Too low on TA, as most above are not restaurants but eateries. This is a restaurant. Book ahead :)

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Enjoyed the wonderful 'tasting menu' today. Each course was creatively presented and well-explained by the chef in both English and Lithuanian. Each morsel had its own taste while complementing and complimenting the other items served with it. My only little negative, if it even be that, was that I noted the majority of items were sweet. Even the red wine sauce served with the beef cheeks was sweet. I think I might enjoy more a bit of contrast with a bit of savory playing against the sweet. That being said, this place is definitely a keeper and the best food I have eaten in Vilnius. Although the portions are small by American standards, I found myself to be completely satisfied as the richness of the food more than compensates for the 'tasting' size portions. A meal to remember for sure, and do NOT miss dining here.

1  Thank ChefPamKI
Reviewed December 21, 2012

To begin with, I read so many positive reviews about Lauro Lapas before my actual visit, so I had very high expectations about the place and what I had experienced was a tremendous disappointment about the so-called “the best new restaurant in Vilnius”.

Firstly, I would like to outline the strongest side of Lauro Lapas: its delicious and inexpensive food. Two-course lunch menu costs only 18 LT (approx. €5 – absolute bargain) and the meals are exquisite. I tasted flavourful fish broth with salmon bits and vegetables which was a treat after chilly Lithuanian weather in December. For a main meal, I had wild boar and beef twist. Both meats were tender and perfectly matched with pickled cabbage, boiled beetroot and roasted potato as well as accompanying apple sauce. All in all, food was good and I wish that everything was the same standard as chef’s work.

However, that’s pretty much everything what you could say positive about this restaurant. Staff was incompetent: we had to wait for our main meal for about forty minutes because waiter brought our order to other table (which then had a second course before starter). What’s more, there is only one main course in lunch menu and such delay between starter and second meal cannot be justifiable by any means. Our waiter was apologetic for that, but mistakes like this cannot happen at the proper restaurant at anytime.

In addition, atmosphere in the place is unsophisticated. Despite the efforts to copy Scandinavian simplicity in the interior, it rather looks more like an ordinary cafeteria than top-notch restaurant. The crowd in the restaurant was noisy even during the lunchtime. And, surprisingly, there is no background music here – interesting choice, but I simply don’t like it.

To sum up, even with its above-average level food, Lauro Lapas do not offer smooth and relaxing dining experience due to its unqualified staff and unsophisticated atmosphere.

2  Thank Rytis K
Reviewed November 17, 2012

really found less than expected. really on a lower side of a range of so called fine dinning slash cuisine nouvelle restaurants. it does work tho in lithuania.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

The best, modern, creative, professional. the standard of good Michelin restaurant. Value for money - fantastic. Lunch with 3 course meal, fresh juice - 24 Lt (6, 50 EU)
Was pleased to know that Chefs from Lauro Lapas won a prise in international Chefs Olimpiada. Absolutely deserved. The Stuff was friendly, but need more experience.

2  Thank karolina m