“Great choice in Vilnius”
Review of Hotel Domus Maria

Hotel Domus Maria
Ranked #1 of 73 Vilnius B&B and Inns
California
“Great choice in Vilnius”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Domus Maria was very comfortable and meet all the needs of our family of four. The quad room was very spacious. The location was great....easy to walk around Vilnius without needing a car or even a taxi. The breakfast was substantial and varied. It was quiet and peaceful.

Room Tip: The quad rooms are great for families with kids.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This old hotel in a former monastery has a lovely feel to it, very atmospheric although somewhat basic in accommodation. The room was fairly simple with smallish single beds overlooking the courtyard, therefore very peaceful. Staff were very friendly and parking was easy right outside. The hotel is superbly placed for all the sites of Vilnius and well situated for some very nice eating places. Recommended as long as you aren't looking for a touch of luxury!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Celje, Slovenia
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Well, it is a former monastery and it is in old town of Vilnius, but the price (76 eur) is exaggerated for what the room and service is. maybe other rooms have more character. Breakfast is adequate but nothing extra. I say it should cost about 20 % less.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Le Vaud, Switzerland
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Very clean and always fresh smelling, plus sensible windows that opened wide if wanted. The bed was very narrow and it was hazardous to turn over during the night! I asked for another pillowcase (there were two pillows in the room and two duvets but only one set of bed linen, which was fine but I prefer to sleep with two pillows). The poor boy on duty that night couldn't find another pillowcase but one was provided the next day. A small selection of cold soft drinks were on sale at reception plus a few small gifts and postcards (proceeds to charity). Breakfast was buffet style and adequate, although staff were distinctly disinterested here unlike those in reception. The location is simply super being right in the heart of the old town. The reception staff were very pleasant and made sure the taxi taking me to the airport arrived exactly on time. However, the whole place is rather plain, to the point of spartan, and lacking the kind of personal touches (nice soaps, towels etc.) that I expect when I travel. I would avoid staying here again myself but would recommend it to younger people or those on a restricted budget.

Room Tip: Only stay here if you are on a low budget and have to.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lesley Philippa S
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for five nights so I feel like I really got a good vibe for the place. My room was a single (solo traveler!) and it was perfect. It's basic, nothing fancy. Bed, desk, wardrobe, television that had 2 English channels. The bathroom was a decent size and the standing shower was good, water pressure got the shampoo out of my hair and that's most important. The Internet works amazingly, I skyped with family almost every night without a problem.

The breakfast is fine. There were eggs, hard oiled and over-easy, pancakes, cheeses, meats, cucumbers, yogurt, cereal, bread, coffee, tea and juice. A very typical european breakfast in a nice little cafe in the hotel. There's enough room for everyone and a staff member walks around and cleans tables. I never experienced things running out, there was always lots.

The service here was the best I experienced during my 4 weeks in the Baltics. It was always very friendly which is always nice (and surprisinging) in the Baltic states. They actually saved me a long bus journey to get to what I thought was the closest laundromat, there is a closer one! Without me even asking, the offered to print out my boarding pass for my flight, saving me 10 euros at the airport (BalticAir charges for that).

If I had to create a complaint, the shelf in the shower is tiny and doesn't hold both shampoo and conditioner bottles. Wow, it was a stretch coming up with that!! Would 100% stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank GlobalGirl98
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I chose this hotel in a pictorial building of an old cloister for a romantic trip with my boyfriend. In my request via Booking.com I asked a room with one double bed. The administration of the hotel ignored this request and gave us a room with two separate beds with a table between without any comment. When I came back to the reception and questioned what could we do, a girl from the reception told me that they have a different system of booking with Booking.com and you can mention your preferences but the hotel not always can fulfill them... “You can unite the beds by your own forces”, - she added. So the stuff doesn’t have an idea that they should offer solutions in the case of problems. The following night two girls arrived to the hotel and received a room with one bed, but nobody offered us change the room…

The hotel was full during the May vacation and the stuff didn’t cope with their work during the breakfast. A half of dishes were empty all the time and you could wait 10-15 minutes for appearance of food you liked to eat.

At the same time the hotel has an indisputable advantage - its location in the core of the Old Town and building are really great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Yulia K
Gothenburg
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This hotel is in many ways almost good!

As we arrived in the hotel, we picked up the keys for all of the three rooms we had booked for our company of six persons. We inspected the rooms, but one was smelling of sweat, so we asked for anotther. At first they said they had no other rooms, and when we said that we will contact the travel agency to get another hotel, they all of a sudden found another room!

In general the staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful, but when we complained about the non-functioning wi-fi and telephones, the pretended at first to be surprised. When they changed staff and we complained again, the new guy pretended also to be surprised with exactly the same phrases, so this was obviously repeted just like in the theatre!

The wi-fi worked well in one room, not at all in the second, but in the third room it only worked when the computer was located in the shower!

There was almost space for two persons in the twin bed (140 cm = 4,5 feet) A normal bed for two is much wider...
The beds were also very hard, because they did not put any matress between the sheet and the sprung matress!

The telephones were not in function for the first 24 hours, it was a great problem fur us, as we had booked 3 rooms and they did not get the bright idea to put us at the same floor....

The breakfast was not to bad but the staff in the breakfast cantine were very un-attentive and un-organized. The were running around like drunk chicken, picking a plate at one table and a cup on another. They did not check what to refill, the guests all the time had to remind them about what was missing. The first day they went totally out of bread and sausages, the second they went out of panncaces. They tried to tell us there were no more panncaces, but after complaining they all of a sudden found some more! Obvoiusly they can not see the correlation between the number of guests in the hotel and how much food to be consumed....

But what really brought the points down for this hotel is what happened the third morning: A tremendiously stupid woman working in the kichen, smelling of sweat and cigarette smoke came to our table and in a really un-polite way complained that we were eating to much!!!

This is an almost good hotel, but they still have a little to much to learn, I believe it will take some time. In the mean while, there are som any other nice hotels in Vilnius, try one of them instead!

Room Tip: If you want to sleep, don´t try to be two persons in the twin beds....
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends