“Disappointment!”

Holocaust Museum (The Green House)
Ranked #35 of 205 things to do in Vilnius
Anaheim, California
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Disappointment!”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Although I am VERY cognizant of the holocaust since my family is from Poland and lived through the slaughter, I am continuously disappointed no matter where I travel and visit these holocaust museums, that somehow the FACT that millions of Catholics and other religious groups were slaughtered during the holocaust is forgotten. This place was no different. Hardly any mention is made of the millions of Catholics that died in Poland. WHY? The holocaust was NOT just a Jewish problem. In addition, Judaism is a beautiful and old religion with a magnificent history, however being a Jew is not a "nationality" - it is a religion. Most of the Jews, Catholics and other religious denominations that were slaughtered during WW2 were Polish. We really should acknowledge that millions of Polish People were slaughtered during WW2, not just Jews. I keep hoping and I keep getting disappointed that someday someone will remember ALL of the PEOPLE that died during WW2 and make a true holocaust museum, not just museums that discuss people who were of the Jewish Faith. The museum however did have beautiful displays but I rated it as poor as the whole story of the holocaust is not given. My mother who was NOT a Jew spent 5 years in a slave labour camp and my uncle spent, also not a Jew, spent nearly 6 years in Auschwitz, so I still feel hurt when all of the other Poles who suffered are ignored. I know I am jaded but I keep hoping for a "total story" being told some day. Maybe in the 22nd Century? I don't know.

Visited January 2013
7 Thank wildernessmd

• Hebrew first
Worksop Notts
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Very Interseting”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I had extreme difficulty in finding this museum as everyone i asked gave me directions to the KGB Museum. The way to find it is to visit the KGB Museum first and after leaving there turn left at the traffic lights cross over to the right side of the road go over the lights and then at the very next turning turn left up a small road you will see a sign on the wall saying Holocasut Museum and it is housed in a green building. Reading all the displays it makes one feel very sad at how the Jewish people were treated but then again it is good also to know about their treatment. Very sad. I had visited this one and the KGB Museum both in the same day so I had a lot to reflect on. Well worth a visit.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank RosemaryThomas
Berlin/Bangkok
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“A must-see”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Very fine little museum in an old wooden house, on the Jews of Vilnius (who made up 40 percent of the population in 1914), the influential Jewish community (Vilnius was a centre of religious and secular Judaism, called the Jerusalem of North Europe), and what became of it under the Nazi occupation. Very sad but true, the museum pulls no punches on the heavy involvement of Lithuanian Nazi sympathizers in the atrocities and exterminations, and also highlights Jewish partisans who fought against the Nazis. The museum, at Pamėnkalnio 12, is a little hard to find up a steep lane from a main street, but it's well worth the effort.

Visited August 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 145 helpful votes
“Scary movie”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Very negative impression, poor exposition and waste of time.

Visited April 2012