“okay but some problems”

Ranked #4 of 88 Hotels in Vilnius
Seattle, Washington
“okay but some problems”
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Stayed at the hotel for 4 nights in June and had both positive and negative experiences. In terms of the positive, the location was great and the hotel had a nice atmosphere. Most of the staff at the front desk were very helpful. The breakfast was made to order and great and the hotel has laptops free of charge to guests. complementary fruit and water are also provided in the rooms.

In terms of the negatives, the single room very small, so much so that i kept hitting my leg on the bed. this was more of a problem because the frame of the bed extends too far out and so it makes it easier to walk into. This is a problem in a very small room.

While most of the front desk staff were very helpful, others were not. When checking out i had a problem with the rate that I booked the room at and the person working at the desk at the time was not at all helpful and was actually rather rude. The matter was not settled and I was told to send an email to the hotel. I did this over 2 weeks ago and still have not heard back from anyone.

This lack of response and poor service is not really acceptable to me for a 4 star hotel and so I doubt i would go back or recommend it. there are other 4 and 5 star hotel in Vilnius that would probably be a better choice.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 25, 2008

We enjoyed our two night stay in this centrally located hotel, an ideal base for visiting Vilnius. The property is a conversion of a large town house and its décor follows a literary theme, with each room named for a famous writer. There are interesting historic engravings and maps in the rooms and public areas.

Our bedroom was small but comfortable and well furnished in a version of English ‘country house’ style. There was a small collection of books. Extras like laundry and the in-room minibar are expensive.

The dining and bar areas are also elegant and there is a small outdoor terrace. The excellent breakfast is cooked to order and includes some unusual local delicacies. Dinner is also good. Service can be slow, which is typical of the city.

All the staff we met were pleasant and spoke adequate English

The Shakespeare is not a luxury or business hotel but it's a good choice for a short stay tourist. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank globaltraveller200
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed February 18, 2008

We stayed three days at hotel Shakespeare right after Christmas. Overall experience was good. We had a nice top floor room named after Charles Dickens. The room was large. The decor was quite old stylish, some sort of country style. Not our taste actually, but suited with the rest of the hotel.
Breakfast room was very calm, not crowded at all (hotel was quite quiet at that time). A la carte breakfast was not that good that we thought it would be. The whole experience was somewhat confusing, e.g are you supposed to order one or more items from the menu? The food was good though. Unlike some other reviewers we thought the location was perfect. It was a quiet, beatuful sidestreet in the old town. Walking distance from basically everything you want to see in Vilnius.
We were satisfied with the hotel. No big suprises (positive or negative) Pretty much what we expected. Won't get to our top 5 hotels but can still be recommended.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
denver, CO
Reviewed February 14, 2008

I agree with some of the reviews/some not. I've stayed here and the Ramada (which btw is much nicer than the typical Ramada). Basically, here's the tradeoff
If you're looking for atmosphere, quiet (on the edge of old town)and pleasant, (and an excellent breakfast) then this is your place. If you're looking more of a "business" hotel - efficient, excellent location, and less 'style' - then Ramada or SAS. Overall, I found the service to be decent, the room very nice (with nice large jetted tub - Romeo and Juliet room), excellent breakfast, good parking and within 2-10 mins of most all of old town - it's right at the edge. Personally, I prefer here, but would not hesitate to stay in either (depending if I'm paying or the boss).
I had very little interaction with the staff, so no comments about the service except checkin and breakfast were efficient.
Both hotels get 4* - I don't think there is one in Vilnius that rates a 5*, I'm picky......

• Liked — The Romeo and Juliet room
  • Disliked — Everything good
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
New York, New York
Reviewed January 12, 2008

They were just rude!
I don't understand how this hotel got so many good reviews. I went to this hotel because of these good reviews and feel disheartened. THE STAFF WAS REALLY RUDE. I stay in 15- 20 four to five star hotels every year all over the world. This was the worst. Staff at the front desk didn't even look up when a client was standing there needing assistance (including the owners that work at the desk). They didn't even offer maps to the town. They gave no advice on places to eat. The breakfast was so slow, people actually left before receiving their meal. It took 45 minutes before even getting any food, about 30 minutes just to get the coffee. The hotel was said to be centrally located - not at all true - the hotel is at the far end of town, and on a difficult street to walk with pot holes, etc. The rooms are smaller than other hotels in the area, the floor creaked, our door wouldn't even close properly. At one point, the hallway temperature dropped to freezing, and due to our door not closing, our room became very cold. I would recommend that people do not stay at this hotel until they change their attitude.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — STAFF
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank DocTravel
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 3, 2008

The location is superb. It is doubtful that the room is worth the money but the service is in the 4 star league. I give the hotel credit for their breakfast and the atmosphere. If you are in the mood for noisy activities beware of none existing sound barrier between the rooms. On a cold winter day it may be that you have to ask for extra heating. I was there during the New Year 2007/2008 celebration and experienced no hot water when the yearly evening shower should take place.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank janeigi
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2007

I booked the Shakespeare because of the reviews on here & was not at all dissapointed. I contacted the hotel directly to see what the size difference was between a standard & superior room & was then offered a superior room with a discount (which worked out cheaper than the standard room price on the main travel websites :) )

We arrived at about 1am, greeted by a very friendly, awake receptionist & fell in love with our room instantly. Great big comfy bed, beautiful wooden interior decor, big bath, heated bathroom floors, mini bar, etc. (We were in the George Bernard Shaw room)

The breakfast was great - choosing from a good sized menu (and as I normally eat far too much at buffet breakfasts I was actually pleasantly surprised with this - starting the day not being too full to move.. hehe !!!) Also - you can ask for freshly squeezed orange juice, even though concentrate is on the table :)

The location was great - easy to walk anywhere in the old town & aside from going to Trakai Castle we did not need to use public transport. We were also very lucky it snowed when we where there (the heated bathroom floor was amazing after a day out in the snow!!)

We used the bar in the evenings before bed - very relaxed & comfy. We also ate in the Sonnet resteraunt which was fantastic. 2 courses & a bottle of good wine came to about £20/head... and it was gourmet food. (I am vegetarian & the veggie option was incredible - don't worry meat eaters my partner is not, and loved his food too!)

Throughout our whole trip all the staff were very helpful & friendly - we also found (as always I suppose!) that saying a few words of Lithuanian always provoked a huge smile & ensured great service, wherever we were - whatever we were doing!

I went for my birthday & received complimentary bottle of wine & a huge fruit platter (along with the daily fresh fruit also provided).

I couldn't recommend this hotel more & same goes for Vilnius. Though people have mentioned there is not a Christmas market, like in Tallinn - there are lots of collections of outdoor wooden stalls which to me seemed like a Christmas market - selling lots of woollen & wooden things.. and amber of course. There were also fireworks & a huge christmas tree by the Cathedral. While there we wandered around Uzupis, the KGB Museum, the castles, the old jewish areas (the "green house" Jewish Museum was very interesting) and ate a lot and drank a lot for not very much money. The only rude(ish) people we encountered were those at the Barbacan Palace Bowling Alley - great place but they seemed to take a dislike to us which was a shame (no idea why? British Tourists possibly?) Overall a wonderful romantic weekend away. Any questions.. message me!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple