“beautiful hotel in the heart of the old town”
Review of Shakespeare Hotel

Shakespeare Hotel
Ranked #5 of 88 Hotels in Vilnius
Reviewed March 13, 2013

fantastic place, beautiful rooms, superb location. felt very cosy and personal staying here, as if you were staying in someones stately home, and you are the guest of honour. excellent brekkie, super staff. the best i have stayed in in Lithuania. not a faceless chain. stay here!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank nachooooo

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel is charming. It is located in a quiet street near the Old Town. It has a literary theme and all the rooms are named after authors. They contain photos and fascinating artefacts. The decor is traditional and the breakfast room is delightful. The breakfast is cooked specially. Benas on Reception was charming. He found me a great guide called Andrejus and offered to send my postcards. All in all, a wonderful experience. Thank you!

Room Tip: Maybe you could find out the names of the different rooms in advance and, if you like a particular a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed two nights in the hotel with my wife. The location is really convinient as the Shakespeare is located in the heart of the Old Town but it's on a peaceful side street. The service was great without an exception and the room Elizabeth perfect selection for the honeymoon trip. The breakfast was really delicious too - I recommend booking that also.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank veov
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Tucked away in a quite street in the Old Town part of Villnius. I spent I night here where the found the hotel service very good . The breakfast and the dining room it's served in was fantastic and the English breakfast I had was delicious.
My only down point was my room which was like a coffin. Very narrow with about a 4 metre ceiling with a very strange timber frames sprouting from the middle of the floor to the ceiling . Apart from that I can see why this hotel obtains such high reviews from its guests ....it full of character and well located to all the sites.

Room Tip: All rooms are named after different people. My room was a single room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Paul S
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I returned, last night, from a 3 night trip with my wife to this lovely hotel.

Thanks to Trip Advisor I discovered this little gem having read a few reviews about it.

From start to finish I was impressed. I had cause to contact the hotel and was met with a prompt, courteous response in perfect English almost immediately.

We arrived at 1am on a Friday night to the most enthusiastic reception I think we've ever had, and that's saying something something!

We had booked a Superior room which was lovely. Well appointed, large, comfy bed and nice pictures on the walls with high ceiling.. There were a couple of shelves of books which was a nice touch.

Breakfast is served in the bar area and was of a very very high standard. The steak "Othello" with a fried egg was sumptuous as was the smoked salmon with scrambled eggs. Did I mention the red caviar or the amazing omelettes? You get the picture, a la carte and as much as you want. The coffee is good too. Really excellent staff, all fluent in English was a relief as my Lithuanian is, well, worse than my Czech.

We returned for coffee in the afternoon after a bracing walk around the ring road. Hot coffee and 20 year old cognac - perfect sat on the soft leather sofas listening to jazz on the sterao. A look at the evening menu did not disappoint. Excellent choice of starters, really excellent, and a nice array of mains meant we plumped for the evening meal there when we had intended to eat out. We were not disappointed. I had Escargot, goulash soup, roast duck breast and a creme brulee washed down with bottles of Prosecco, Malbec and a 20 year old Armagnac. The wife had duck salad, halibut (one of the finest dishes ever she remarked) and a chocolate dessert. Despite managing to consume many beers as well (at least 6 large ones between us) we did manage to get back to our suite, the morning after was not good! All that (including the afternoon coffees and cognac) was £140. A bargain for the quality and the fact we consumed so much alcohol.

Vilnius is a nice city, there are far nicer to visit in Europe I'm afraid but The Shakespeare has had such an impression on us that we will return very soon. Well done to all the staff for making it so enjoyable and thank you for looking after us (especially the bar staff)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sunseasandtequilla
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Superb - the Shakespeare combines coziness with class. From the tasteful literary themed rooms through to the elegance of its dining spaces, there is a real unique quality about this hotel that rightly earns its top ranking for Vilnius. Breakfast is a real treat with an excellent and imaginative menu which doesn't even do justice to what it delivers - this is haute-cuisine petit-dejeuner! One of my friends described as like eating on the Orient Express, food-wise and decor-wise, this was spot on. The Shakespeare's location could also not be faulted, discretely tucked away up an alley roughly at the point where the Old & New Towns meet making it the ideal place for exploring this great and compact city. A final word on the staff.....first-class, well-mannered, smartly turned-out and very, very helpful. Overwhelmingly a young in age team, they personified what this hotel (and indeed Vilnius & Lithuania) is all about : modernity fused with tradition. An elegant venue recommended without hesitation.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I always wish I could stay longer, especially to linger in the gorgeous lounge (where breakfast is also served). The rooms are consistently charming, the staff superb, the atmosphere wonderful, the location great. I would gladly spend a week just relaxing and enjoying the hotel (oh, and Vilnius). This was my third stay and I look forward to many more.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business