“Cozy atmosphere”
Review of Shakespeare Hotel

Shakespeare Hotel
Ranked #5 of 88 Hotels in Vilnius
Reviewed February 18, 2008

We stayed three days at hotel Shakespeare right after Christmas. Overall experience was good. We had a nice top floor room named after Charles Dickens. The room was large. The decor was quite old stylish, some sort of country style. Not our taste actually, but suited with the rest of the hotel.
Breakfast room was very calm, not crowded at all (hotel was quite quiet at that time). A la carte breakfast was not that good that we thought it would be. The whole experience was somewhat confusing, e.g are you supposed to order one or more items from the menu? The food was good though. Unlike some other reviewers we thought the location was perfect. It was a quiet, beatuful sidestreet in the old town. Walking distance from basically everything you want to see in Vilnius.
We were satisfied with the hotel. No big suprises (positive or negative) Pretty much what we expected. Won't get to our top 5 hotels but can still be recommended.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 14, 2008

I agree with some of the reviews/some not. I've stayed here and the Ramada (which btw is much nicer than the typical Ramada). Basically, here's the tradeoff
If you're looking for atmosphere, quiet (on the edge of old town)and pleasant, (and an excellent breakfast) then this is your place. If you're looking more of a "business" hotel - efficient, excellent location, and less 'style' - then Ramada or SAS. Overall, I found the service to be decent, the room very nice (with nice large jetted tub - Romeo and Juliet room), excellent breakfast, good parking and within 2-10 mins of most all of old town - it's right at the edge. Personally, I prefer here, but would not hesitate to stay in either (depending if I'm paying or the boss).
I had very little interaction with the staff, so no comments about the service except checkin and breakfast were efficient.
Both hotels get 4* - I don't think there is one in Vilnius that rates a 5*, I'm picky......

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2008

They were just rude!
I don't understand how this hotel got so many good reviews. I went to this hotel because of these good reviews and feel disheartened. THE STAFF WAS REALLY RUDE. I stay in 15- 20 four to five star hotels every year all over the world. This was the worst. Staff at the front desk didn't even look up when a client was standing there needing assistance (including the owners that work at the desk). They didn't even offer maps to the town. They gave no advice on places to eat. The breakfast was so slow, people actually left before receiving their meal. It took 45 minutes before even getting any food, about 30 minutes just to get the coffee. The hotel was said to be centrally located - not at all true - the hotel is at the far end of town, and on a difficult street to walk with pot holes, etc. The rooms are smaller than other hotels in the area, the floor creaked, our door wouldn't even close properly. At one point, the hallway temperature dropped to freezing, and due to our door not closing, our room became very cold. I would recommend that people do not stay at this hotel until they change their attitude.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank DocTravel
Reviewed January 3, 2008

The location is superb. It is doubtful that the room is worth the money but the service is in the 4 star league. I give the hotel credit for their breakfast and the atmosphere. If you are in the mood for noisy activities beware of none existing sound barrier between the rooms. On a cold winter day it may be that you have to ask for extra heating. I was there during the New Year 2007/2008 celebration and experienced no hot water when the yearly evening shower should take place.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank janeigi
Reviewed December 27, 2007

I booked the Shakespeare because of the reviews on here & was not at all dissapointed. I contacted the hotel directly to see what the size difference was between a standard & superior room & was then offered a superior room with a discount (which worked out cheaper than the standard room price on the main travel websites :) )

We arrived at about 1am, greeted by a very friendly, awake receptionist & fell in love with our room instantly. Great big comfy bed, beautiful wooden interior decor, big bath, heated bathroom floors, mini bar, etc. (We were in the George Bernard Shaw room)

The breakfast was great - choosing from a good sized menu (and as I normally eat far too much at buffet breakfasts I was actually pleasantly surprised with this - starting the day not being too full to move.. hehe !!!) Also - you can ask for freshly squeezed orange juice, even though concentrate is on the table :)

The location was great - easy to walk anywhere in the old town & aside from going to Trakai Castle we did not need to use public transport. We were also very lucky it snowed when we where there (the heated bathroom floor was amazing after a day out in the snow!!)

We used the bar in the evenings before bed - very relaxed & comfy. We also ate in the Sonnet resteraunt which was fantastic. 2 courses & a bottle of good wine came to about £20/head... and it was gourmet food. (I am vegetarian & the veggie option was incredible - don't worry meat eaters my partner is not, and loved his food too!)

Throughout our whole trip all the staff were very helpful & friendly - we also found (as always I suppose!) that saying a few words of Lithuanian always provoked a huge smile & ensured great service, wherever we were - whatever we were doing!

I went for my birthday & received complimentary bottle of wine & a huge fruit platter (along with the daily fresh fruit also provided).

I couldn't recommend this hotel more & same goes for Vilnius. Though people have mentioned there is not a Christmas market, like in Tallinn - there are lots of collections of outdoor wooden stalls which to me seemed like a Christmas market - selling lots of woollen & wooden things.. and amber of course. There were also fireworks & a huge christmas tree by the Cathedral. While there we wandered around Uzupis, the KGB Museum, the castles, the old jewish areas (the "green house" Jewish Museum was very interesting) and ate a lot and drank a lot for not very much money. The only rude(ish) people we encountered were those at the Barbacan Palace Bowling Alley - great place but they seemed to take a dislike to us which was a shame (no idea why? British Tourists possibly?) Overall a wonderful romantic weekend away. Any questions.. message me!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WeezeNmD
Reviewed December 18, 2007

We just returned from a stay at the Shakespeare Hotel Vilnius. We found it to be extremely disappointing and wildly overpriced.

The hotel is on the far end of old town Vilnius, not centrally located. The room we had was extremely expensive and extremely small. The hotel is all about quaint decoration, pretentiousness, and theme-based rooms, but provides little in the way of a comfortable living space.

The service was out and out rude. When I checked in I asked about an Italian restaurant I had passed. I asked if it was good. The man at the desk, who could not have been more uppity if he tried, replied "I don't know what you mean by good."

We asked to borrow the laptop the hotel has available to guests. We were told it was taken and they did not know when it would be returned. My friend explained that she needed to send a couple of quick emails and asked to use another computer for a few moments. They stated that that was not possible. When we asked about the computer the next day, they rebuked us for not having signed up to be put on the waiting list (which we had not been told to do). We were finally provided with a computer and it had a virus. The hotel staff, when informed of this, nastily explained that it was not their fault that the computer had a virus -- it was the fault of the guests who borrowed it.

Our room was very cold during the night. When I mentioned this the next day to the front desk staff, they were once again extremely rude and blamed me for not resolving the problem in the middle of the night!

We spoke with three or four different people at the desk during our stay and one was nastier or more uppity then the next!

We checked out of the Shakespeare and into Grybas House which is more centrally located. The cost of our room there was about half of what the Shakespeare charged and the room (actually a mini-suite -- it had a separate sitting room with a sofa) was at least twice the size of the room at the Shakespeare. The bathroom at Grybas was about three times the size of the one at Shakespeare. The service at Grybas could not have been more charming. Mr. Grybas offered to have his driver pick us up at from the Shakespeare so we would not have problems handling our baggage. The people at Grybas were as warm as the staff of the Shakespeare were cold.

Do yourself a favor -- save half of your money and skip the Shakespeare.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
6  Thank travelmaniac4
Reviewed October 10, 2007

This is an excellent hotel in a great location. The rooms are comfortable and quaintly decorated and are all named after famous writers. The staff are very friendly and helpful without being sugary. It is a small hotel so don't expect big chain facilities but the location, staff etc more than compensate for this.

Try and avoid rooms at street level as they are quite noisy during the day and don't offer much privacy. Also, the hotel restaurant and bar are both popular for private parties, probably because the food and surroundings are so good. However, when I was there this meant that they were both closed for two evenings for such parties (one of which was for the Prime MInister of Lithuania!). This meant that dinner was only available on room service.

Breakfast which was included in my room rate was excellent and very quickly served which was great since I was running late.

In summary, I highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business