“Well looked after hotel in heart of Vilnius”

Radisson Blu Royal Astorija Hotel, Vilnius
Ranked #11 of 88 Hotels in Vilnius
Reviewed January 23, 2012

my family and I really enjoyed cozy atmosphere of this hotel. Hotel stuff are very friendly and room was decent. Great thing about this place is centrally located, everything is within walking distance. Hotel restaurant is just pricy and nothing special, but there are plenty of good restaurant around the hotel. We had nice walk after the dinner scrolling small streets of Vilnius, which turn out to be just around corner from the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed January 20, 2012

Very helpful staff. Room is ok not luxurious but very convenient
Restaurant is good. I had a Dover sole (which is a fish not easy to find for a decent price)

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Jeanluc1
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Penthouse room, old city view, great location, decent breakfast, perfect staff.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cocha-Bepeck
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I stayed twice in this hotel for a period of one month for each trip. It was the month of April 2011 and this was the first time I stepped out of my home country - India. My company had booked the hotel for me, after I had selected it amongst the given choices.
I had asked them to send me a taxi for pickup at the airport. I was greeted nicely with a big board with my name. Once I reached hotel, I meet Augustas - The bell boy. He is perhaps the most honest & helpful person I have come across. Checking in was easy, afterwards I asked Augustas about the tipping culture in this part of the world and I wanted to tip him 10 Litas (10 LT) but he refused saying that the value is too high! so I gave him 5 LT (Thats 1 Euro & 30 cents I guess), and amazed by his honesty, I had made my first friend in Lithuania.

Detailed Analysis of hotel

Pros:
Location! as I stayed for a long time, I explored a lot. amongst all the hotels that I have seen in Lithuania, Radisson Blu Astorijia has a superior location advantage. Situated behind the Town Hall, this place has all the resturants, sovenior shops, supermarkets, tourist places, bus stops, churches etc.

Restaurants: A Little stroll to you left, and you get Grill Brazil, Chili Kaimas, go little further you get HesBurger, a few steps ahead you have several French restaurants (which were very costly for me ! ) There was Pizza Jazz. Across Traku street you get the Italian resturant - Valentino. Should you chose to go along the Traku Street, you get few other resturants including an Indian one - Indian Maharaja, a Kebab shop, a Disco, few Pubs.

Bang opposite to entrance of the Astorjia hotel, there is Rimi supermarket, where I stocked pints after pints of Tuborg and other munchies. above Rimi, there is a Japanese resturant, a steak house, a disco club and Pizza Italia.

Go further down the road (head straight from the Astorijia hotel) you get The Kitchen, few other eating places, and Cili Pica (most affordable pizzas, Cili Pica has far better service than Cili Kaimas; I had to wait for 15 mins in Cili Kaimas waiting for someone to attend to me, another 30 mins just to get my order of Chicken Wings!)

Pilies Street: Go further down the road, and you can enjoy live music by students, music festivals that happen in 1st week of May. There are several Souvenior shops. I personally liked The Baltic Souvenior. Then there are few more restaurants & hotels including Forto Dvarasa that gives good Lithuanian cuisine.

Cathedrial: Few steps down to the Pilies street, there are museums, art galleries, at the end of the Pilies street there is Sopranos - ice cream parlour. Across the road there is Cathedrial church, Tower Bell, Statue of Gediminos and behind it Castle Hill. Thats possibly the best place in Vilnius. I was travelling alone for work and had to spend for a month in Vilnius, so I used to sit near the statue of Gediminos and watch young people do all kinda stuff fro skate boarding to cycling. I made many friends there :)

Across the Catherdral, there is Gediminos street and you get more access to resturants, super markets, shopping centers etc.
Coming back to Hotel.

Breakfast: Most delicious breakfast I ever had! Being a foodie, I would select this hotel again based on the breakfast alone ! You get all kinda breads, butter, chesse spread, yougurt, fresh fruits, caviar, then there are prok sausage, chicken sausage, fried bacon, potate wedge, fried tomato, tea, coffee, pasteries, sweets, doughnuts, juices, cereals, etc.

Friendly staff: The staff at Astorijia is very friendly, honest and helpful. I made friends with most of them. Augutas, Kristina, Ada, Jurate, Reda, Ausra, Edwards, and I can keep going on and on ..... I had developed Tendonitis (jumper's knee) where my right knee was totally jammed, and I was in severe pain. Augustas was ran across to the nearest medical store and got medicines and also bandaged my knee!

The housekeeping staff is also very friendly and active, no matter how much chaos I made in my room. Tideness was always a call away.

Fast WiFi: The wifi is amazing! although I am from the Telecommunications Industry but I havent experienced internet this fast !

Comfy bed, Pillows, work desk, minibar etc made sure I had everything I needed for proglonged stays at hotel.

Cons:
I wouldn't term the following as Cons, but rather areas of improvement.

Room Size & Shapes: I expected my room to be a little bigger!, but when I saw other rooms on the 1st floor. I was happy that I got the room (219) it was little bigger and had a better shape than other standard rooms.

All French Menu @ Restaurant: The Restaurant had an all french menu, for someone who don't have the taste buds for french, Its not the place.

AC controlling is tough. the temperature dial in the rooms is actually rocket science. if you feel good with your room temperature, if you don't call the receiption; don't fiddle with it!

Tip:
1) Don't trust the Taxis, they will rip you! always phone the taxi numbers and ask for cabs, its cheaper.
2) A scheduled Airport pickup / drop booked through Radisson Astirojia will cost you 75 LT. However, you can bargain as much you can on your own from 20 - 100 LT.
3) Use Rimi market to buy stuff and stock your minibar. if you use merchandise from Minibar it will be damn expensive !
4) Go to breakfast before 8.30. Since this hotel is a business hotel and is sought after, try to have your breakfast before 8.30 AM on weekdays and before 9.30 AM on weekends, otherwise it gets little crowded.
5) You can ask for the attended to get you your own customized Omellete. The best I had in my life.

All in all, the best 2 months spent in Vilnius !

Room Tip: See all the available rooms before selecting
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We were with our family and friends 02-05 january 2012 in this hotel.
It is the best solution for the quality/place/price.
The hotel stays in the center of the old city.
The rooms are different: we have stayed in 2 business rooms and 1 standard, one of the business rooms was twice less then another. But the staff is ready immediately to offer another rooms ( if it is possible)
The spa is small: 2 small saunas and small swimming pool ( maximum for 4-5 people, not to swim) and jaccuzzie. No spa treatments. But it is not important, because when you stay in so nice place - you want to go out to see all the streets.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Would love to love this hotel more. Great location and great presence on the street for sure. Checkin was great, and very friendly. Despite status points, I don't think I was given much better then a standard room in the "new" wing. The room faced the front, but was oddly shaped and was not very updated or renovated inside. The bed was just average and the bathroom a bit run down I am afraid. The breakfast was ok in the morning. This hotel gets a lot of business traffic, so maybe if you want a quieter place you might look for another hotel in town. The front bar was nice and I caught a bite to eat one night when I didn't feel like going out -- it was good, and the bartender gave great service. I think the best thing about the place is the service and location, yet you don't feel like your staying in a highly rated property because of the worn rooms. As people mentioned the Rimi (supermarket) nearby is great for stocking your room up. I parked my car out front and the hotel would keep the meter up for you when you needed it to as there was no hotel parking. It's not cheap, but then again your car is right outside.

Room Tip: Ask for room in main building if you don't want to walk very far to the other wing.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I have stayed at the Radisson Blu Astorija twice whilst on business in Vilnius and would happily return. The hotel is very well located in the old town and the building is attractive. The lobby area and reatutrant/bistro are cosy and welcoming, and I enjoyed the extensive breakfast provided. Unfortunately, the rooms do not quite live up to the hotel's facade and public areas, being rather small and functional with uninspring decor. They are, however, spotlessly clean. The best thing about this hotel is the staff - everybody we spoke to was friendly and helpful and the receptionists had plenty of good recommendations for restaurants and bars nearby.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business