“Fantastic meal at rock bottom prices!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Rouge - brasserie & cafe - CLOSED

Le Rouge - brasserie & cafe
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean, European, Central European, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic meal at rock bottom prices!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited this restaurant for my birthday on the first day of our holiday, for our first time in Kaunas. After seeing a review in a local guide book, we decided to give it a try. The restaurant is located in the beautiful Old Town region, right on the main street 'Vilniaus' surrounded by great bars.

Inside it's very cosy and romantic, with lovely decor throughout. We ate on a Wednesday evening so there was no issue getting a table, however I noticed it was a very popular spot on a weekend so be prepared you may need to wait if eating at busier times.

I had the French onion soup to start, served with lovely warm crusty bread covered in cheese which was gorgeous. My boyfriend had the potato and leek soup topped with crispy bacon pieces which he loved. We both had the Duck a L'Orange for mains which was served with a lovely potato and fennel salad in a Cointreau sauce (amazing!) and finished the apple tarte tatin with a side of pistachio ice cream - all washed down with a lovely bottle of red and bottle of water. All of this for just £35! Fantastic value for money, I'd definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Kaunas.

• Visited October 2012
4 Thank Jennifer D

• Turkish first
Falkirk, UK
“Très sympa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

A pretty authentic French restaurant in Kaunas Old Town. Perhaps above average prices for an up-market restaurant in Lithuania, but the equivalent in most other EU countries would cost at least two or three times more.

We each had a 3 course dinner from the a la carte menu. Every dish was stylishly presented, well cooked or prepared, and very tasty. The boeuf bourguignon had us reaching for the toothpicks as it was a little chewy, but this was the only minor gripe from start to finish.

The restaurant and the service is bordering on the formal, but it is still very welcoming, relaxing and friendly.

The bill for two 3-course meals with 2 x 500cl wine jugs, mineral water, one coffee and one brandy was 143Lt or about £34. A very good price:quality ratio.

If we had been staying longer in Kaunas, we would definitely have returned.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank JimmyTheBairn
Shanghai, China
“Cozy place & good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I went there for dinner last night and was really pleased with the food and service. Yes, it's nothing like the best restaurants in Paris, New York, London, so have in mind that it will be reviewed in Lithuanian or better say Kaunas terms.

Interior: the restaurant has an intimate atmosphere which makes it a great place for dinner dates or gatherings with friends. You kind of don't feel like you're in Kaunas once you close the door behind you. Music was great!!

Service: the waiter we got was polite, friendly and helpful. I asked for some recommendations and he was willing to help. I wouldn't say he was great, service in Lithuanian in general is quite different from the rest of the world (low salary + poor tips), but wouldn't say he was bad either. Overall - okay.

Food: I had scallops, crêpes and crème brûlée there. Scallops were very good and cheap, it was around 4 EUR which is ridiculous for such an appetizer. Crêpes were also good. When it comes to crème brûlée...well, it either wasn't fresh or they don't have a proper recipe for it. I did not like it. My friends had frog legs and something with beef which looked and tasted good.

Overall - I am sure I will go back there but won't order crème brûlée :)

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank pioneeringventures
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Went for dinner tonight. And what can I say... It's amazing!!! Best food in town, great service and atmosphere, and what's most important great value for money. I would highly recommend to anyone to experience this what I had today.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank remis r
United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We enjoyed this restaurant and went back twice on our two-day visit to Kaunas. The food really was delicious. The service was slow first night but they were very busy; second night was better. It is conveniently located in the main shopping street. The prices compared favourably with the others nearby and we thought it was good value for money. Many locals seemed to be eating there and were smartly dressed so we thought they must think it was a good restaurant too. The decor is nice. We would highly recommend it for the good value, delicious food.

• Visited July 2012