“So friendly!”

Ranked #3 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Kaunas
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“So friendly!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed in R Hostel whilst travelling Lithuania with two friends in April, the hostel is small and quiet but such a great place. It's positioned very close to St Michael the Archangel Church and is easy to travel to and from. The staff are friendly, when we first arrived the girl on reception marked the most important things for us to see on a map and also gave us a few insiders tips on things we wouldn't have found on TripAdvisor!
The rooms are really clean and the place is modern. We were put in a 6 bed room for 3 people so we had a bunk each! The owner, Tony, is fantastic. He took us all out around Kaunas on our first night and showed us bars we would have never found on our own. We were sad that we had to leave and travel to Vilnius so soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed June 21, 2013

One of my right decisions! I came here at night and there was no street lights. At first I was scared to death but the lovely staff leading the way calmed me down. We had ordered a room for 3 people but luckily they arranged a family room for us. The place was nice, clean and modern. You can use the washing machine as well as other cooking equipments. The place is quite near the main street so you just have to walk for 5 mins and enjoy the amazing atmosphere there. It worths your money!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank littlegalisme
Minsk, Belarus
Reviewed June 16, 2013

It was my first time staying in the hostel. I was amazed by good service and nice personal. It was good experience to meet new friends in the hostel. The location is perfect, close to Akropolis and to the downtown. Overall, I am fully satisfied with the "R Hostel"!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Within easy walking distance of the bus/rail stations, but also close to the city center, this struck a great balance. The place itself was clean, comfortable, and cheap. I didn't hang around during the day so can't speak to atmosphere, but the important bits (bed, shower, toilet, etc) were all above grade.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MSea85
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I stayed at R hostel in Nov 2011 (only getting round to updating tripadvisor now) and I must say it is one of the best hostels I have stayed in. I booked a twin room with shared bathroom for 3 nights. I arranged for a airport transfer from the hostel themselves and it was reasonably priced. The hostel is pretty central and is only 5 minutes walk to the main street where you have a good choice of bars and restaurants.
On arrival I was greeted by friendly staff who sorted my booking without a problem and offered recommendations for while I was staying there.
The building is very secure in that you have a main door, a door to the reception area and then the door to your room. The desk is manned 24 / 7.
The rooms are clean as is the communal shower / toilet area, there is also a kitchen which offers free tea / coffee.
To be honest there is not much to do in Kaunas itself and I pretty much saw everything in the first day. The rest of the time I relaxed in the hostel, reading, teaching the girl on reception how to play the card game "S***head", and then in turn getting beat every time from her on the table football.
An option which is available is to use this as a base as nearby you can get the train to the capital Vilnius.
I enjoyed my trip and you will too

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
london
Reviewed August 30, 2012

faultless - clean, friendly and comfortable. recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We enjoyed the stay here. The beds were fine and the room was clean and there was a small kitchen with fridge and they provided tea (and maybe coffee) for guests. The staff were very nice and helpful and there was a free computer to use, not every fast connection but was ok. The double room we used had dark curtains which was great, for a change! It was slightly noisy in that room as it backed on to the reception area and you can hear the door bell ringing too. I imagine at a busy time of year, it might be a bit noisy. Aside from this, was all good. The location is fine as it is not in centre but you can walk along the pedestrian zone main road and you are in the centre in about 15-20 minutes, very easy, and the hostel area is quite quiet.

It was a bit hard to find it - it might be better if the hostel had a bigger sign, if it is allowed, outside as the airport bus did stop just near it but you don't know that. If you catch it, the hostel is towards the back of the bus on same side of road and you have to walk back and it is across the grassy are a bit.

I would recommend it.