“Good beer”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I recommend to try the beer, it is brewed in this pub and it`s really good.
The food is average and also the staff. But beer is good :-). There are some dishes you can try.

2  Thank Robert G

Reviewed June 16, 2012

husband loved both the Slovak food and the beer. Nicem, informal, casual, and oh so cheap!! We had a great lunch there.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Excellent unfiltered beer at an excellent price. Specials for lunch make for an inexpensive and tasty meal. We came here twice. The cheese plate was very good and was enormous.

1  Thank Virginiatravel1
Reviewed May 9, 2012

One of the few brew pubs in Slovakia, understand it is the only one outside of Bratislava. Beer is all brewed on site, far, far better than draught/bottled beer you are ever likely to get in most other bars. Good menu (in Slovak, English & German) .

1  Thank philstephenrichards
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I suppose a fault of the Tripadvisor system is that pubs/breweries are grouped with actual restaurants in the "restaurants" category. If Golem really is the #1 restaurant if Kosice, I have lost all hope in the system, because our trip to Golem last week was the absolute worst dining experience of my life. We left, not thinking "that was really bad" or "I am angry" but rather, "that must have been a joke. Someone is playing a trick on us."

We were warned Golem is very crowded on weekends, so for our group of 5, we stopped by Friday evening to make a reservation for the next night.

When we arrived, they needed to move some drinkers out of our reserved seating. We ordered some of their beer. I am not enough of a conisseur to describe the beers, other than I liked the light better than the dark, they were both very cheap, and an excellent value. You can order a 0.3, 0.4, or 0.5 liter, for not much more than 1 euro. But we also ordered dinner.

Our waiter spoke fine English...no communication difficulties. We ordered several salads amongst us. We forgot that lettuce is not typical in some parts of Europe so we were surprised that none of our salads had lettuce. However, none of them had any kind of dressing, vinegar, oil, etc. EVERY condiment costs extra at this place, whether it be dressing, butter, ketchup, sauce, or similar things. I'd be surprised if they don't charge for salt and pepper.

I should point out that a few in our group are vegetarians, so, overall, we didn't order much in the way of meat dishes. I ordered a "smoked cheese in potato flour" that sounded good, but it was just like a bland mozzarella stick...Again, no dipping sauces. When I placed the order, the waiter asked what kind of potatoes I wanted with it, American fries or French fries. I chose American fries (frozen potato edges), again with no sauce, and later found out on the bill that the potatoes were an additional charge. The waiter took my order as though they were included.

A friend ordered a pasta dish with a cheese sauce and the pasta arrived absolutely flooded with a completely flavorless cheese sauce. I mean flavorless.

Another friend ordered french fries with his meal. They arrived cold, and with a serving of "devil sauce" which we didn't order. We were charged for it on our bill.

Another friend ordered garlic bread with her meal. Can you believe that what arrived was a piece of toast (no butter...it costs extra) and a clove of raw garlic, unprepared, and beginning to sprout.

The prices were alright, but we basically paid and left, without eating much, and went back to Med Malina, for the second day in a row.

I would go back for beer, but it was overall a pathetic dining experience.

3  Thank uclabobby