“Great View Of River”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Firstly, this is not the cafe in the castle. This is the restaurant outside the castle overlooking the river. It is modern in appearance with glass walls to enjoy the view on bad weather days. The patio has umbrellas and affords spectacular views of the city.

The service is overworked with only one server during lunch. The kitchen was prompt and the location clean. I had a chicken ceased that was done well. The dressing was not overbearing and had decent portions of chicken.

This is a great place to have lunch and watch the city or watch the colors of the sky change in the evening. The prices are premium for the view,

Reviewed June 18, 2013

meal was great, service was great, and the cave-like ambiance was cool. a little hard to find but if you're coming down from the castle on the river side you'll stumble right in to it. Chicken with sauce was awesome.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

A few of us arrived here after taking the trek up to the castle to find it shut down as it was a Monday. We didn't know about the city shutting down but no matter. The restaurant was open so we decided to grab a bite.
Burgers were very good, large and good quality. Reminded me of homemade burgers. Came with a side of fries that were a little oversalted but had a nice crunch to them
Steak sandwich was in the same category. One of the part has a stew which was a good portion size, with decent bite of steak pieces and a thick sauce. Bread was provided to mop up the sauce which is a bonus.
House wine was also very good.
Staff are not intrusive and generally leave you alone unless you indicate you need them. Some people find this rude but I expect this is more cultural. The place was clean and the facilities good with free WiFi. There are some great views of the city from the rear of the premises.

There is a service charge of 2.5% added to the bill, but it is not really worth getting upset over considering what other places would try charge a customer for.

Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Avoid this place if you can. Junk food,smelly! Expired ingredients, untastfull meals, not original at all!

And the service is a Bratislava's average.

1  Thank Klmasoft
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The approach to the Hradna (Castle) Restaurant is certainly impressive. It is in a former outhouse within the Castle walls and must have the best view over Bratislava, but night was falling and the wind was getting up. We compromised by sitting in a marquee with transparent sides by the wall. I asked if we could have traditional or even classical music instead of the American cacophony that was blaring everywhere. The waiter apologized: it was coming from a radio – they had nothing else – but he did turn it down.

We were almost the only dinner guests but the waiter said they had had a lot of people for Sunday lunch so the fairly small menu was further reduced. I asked for marrow bone for my starter but there was none left, so I took the waiter’s advice and got the oxtail soup. Alas, it was thin & watery with mostly little bits of carrot and tiny crumbs of meat. Of course it wasn’t really hot enough, either. R had a Slovakian dish of Halushki filled with sheep’s cheese, which he said was quite nice.

Then I had lamb, which I always enjoy, and R had a fairly standard Wiener Schnitzel. Not as good as I make!

We shouldn’t have had the pudding! We were tempted by the idea of Strudel even though there was only apple strudel left. I think it must have been reheated in the micro as it was so soggy and chewy as to be almost inedible. What a disappointment after the heavenly crisp, light, 3-flavoured miniature strudels we had in Budapest.

R chose a local red wine from among the cheaper bottles. The bill came to about 90 euros, which I thought expensive for what we had, even if the situation was rather special. The service was perfectly friendly and not too slow. The waiter (the only member of staff we saw) spoke good English, and brought us shawls against the chilly wind. If I went again, I would go inside.