See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 12, 2018 via mobile

This hotel is very nice, super clean, and some of the best staff I’ve encountered. Very good value for money with excellent breakfast. And good location.
My only complaint is how hot the rooms are kept.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed June 17, 2018

High rise building, making it very easy to find! The hotel part of the building is served by a glass lift on the outside of the building. The hotel is situated in a park next door to a roller-blade circuit. It is some walk from both the station in one direction and the town centre in the other. The hotel’s orientation made the rooms uncomfortably hot at the time of our visit. There is no air conditioning. Rooms on one side receive the morning sun and those on the other the afternoon sun. You need to have your curtains drawn all day to keep the sun out. We managed to change room to the morning sun side on the grounds that it would have all day to cool down until we returned in the late afternoon/evening. Breakfast was adequate but nothing special. The orange juice out of the machine was more like diluted orange cordial rather than fresh juice.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2018

Our overall experience at Hotel Lux was quite good. Service was very good both at check in and while we were staying there. The location is great--views of the surrounding area are very nice the location is perfect: just a few minutes away from the central square but outside of it so that the undesired noise level is nearly zero for a room facing the park. The views from the rooms facing the park and museum are fantastic. The rooms are a nice size--plenty of room for two people and luggage. They are somewhat plain but functional which was fine. The only issue was that our room had a door frame to the bathroom that was falling off. It just needed a few nails or screws but any housekeeping person would have grabbed that frame at some time and found that it was not attached so I'm surprised it hadn't been fixed. Not big enough of an issue for us to change rooms.

Room tip: Pick a room that faces the park/museum
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Itinerant_Foodies
Reviewed September 13, 2017

It used to be a great star among the hotels, now it is apparently hard to maintain and I could feel that during several issues - my shower hose has worked on just 30%, 70% of water got lost on the way. Machine for juices during breakfast was kind of broken, juice was not fresh and was warm, our balcony was under reconstruction and our neighbours could see through it into part of our room. But.. I think the staff was helpful and friendly, my overall feeling was ok, even I was happy not to stay more than one night.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed November 29, 2015

Accomodation.
My Guests had a newly renovated twin room on the seventh floor.
While not enormous the room was exceptionally clean and in very good condition, no signs of wear and tear . room service was very prompt and efficient, the room was fully cleaned and tidied while the guests ate breakfast.

Room Telephones
My guests needed to make an international telephone call and were told that although telephones are provided in the rooms they do not offer an outside connection.. Guests without the use of mobile phones will have difficulty with this.

Wi-Fi is however provided free of charge in the rooms and reception areas

Restaurant Service.
The one thing that very slightly lets this place down in my opinion is the breakfast. I would describe it as ok. not excellent . My guests had breakfast included with their accommodation whereas I myself ( living locally) joined them for an additional charge of 7 Euro.. at first there was some rather awkward monents of mis-understanding with restaurant staff as to how this was to be paid for. but eventually I was able to resolve this problem with the usually excellent reception staff.

Breakfast.
The selection offered at breakfast is self-service ...adequate at best.

- Cereals , Museli, Yogurt -- Ok .
- Scrambled eggs, frankfurters and Slovak style sausages -- Ok but Tepid
- Selection of cold-meats and Cheeses -- Good
- Selection of Breads -- Ok. but some fresher than others.
- Coffee -- from machine or sometimes flasks. OK. not exceptional.
- Fruit Juice -- not juice but "Nektar" (diluted?) dispensed from machine. adequate.

Overall the food at breakfast is adequate. Restaurant personell are perhaps somewhat inexperienced and or a little unfriendly.. a pity because the other hotel services and staff are excellent.

Please Note: we ate breakfast in the restaurant. at times of lower occupancy the hotel serves breakfast in the Lobby Lounge .. we did not experience this so cannot compare or comment on this.

Overall I would certainly reccomend this hotel to anybody visiting Slovakia. We have used this hotel many times over a period of 15 years and have never had a really bad experience.

Good Clean accommodation Professional Service Good Prices.

You will not find better in Banska Bystrica. I know this because I tried.

Well Done Lux.

Room tip: All 7th floor rooms are fine
Date of stay: November 2015