“Basic accomodation, excellent location.”
Review of Club Tihany

Club Tihany
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Tihany
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I recently stayed in one of the self-catering bungalows for a few nights. Overall it is a bit dated and rough round the edges. Our bungalow was a 90 second walk to the lovely grass beach which had multiple sets of steps going into the water. We were also a 2 minute walk from the ferry stop taking us over to the other side of the lake. We didn't eat in the complex as it looked a bit basic but instead drove into Tihany (but this can be reached on foot in under 30 minutes) or nearby Balatonfured. If you go on holiday to enjoy your surroundings then this place is great, it's not luxury but has everything you need and is in a beautiful spot.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Caroline I

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed there in this summer and I have had a terrible experience. I was stolen in the indoor swimming pool! I locked my staff in the locker and when I went out, the locker was openned and my money was stolen. After that, the people who work there told me that it is easy to open the locker with just a knife. And what I got from the hotel was just a "sorry"! After I left the hotel, nobody answered my phone or email! I don't believe that happend in such a big hotel! They don't deserve the 4 star! On the other hand, I remember nobody except the reception of the swimming pool was there when I enter the swimming pool. So I highly doubt about who stole my money! By the way, when I checked out, another gentleman told me that his sunglasses were stolen. So what a dangerous place. Again, a very bad hotel with rude workers. And bad food! And bad location! I really cannot find out one point good from them.

Room Tip: The biggest tip would be stay away from this hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Qizheng D
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Club Tihany has a wonderful location on the shore of Lake Balaton.
That is the praise over, now for the reality.
The restaurant food is unimaginative and bland.
The rooms are grubby and in desperate need of renovation as is everything about the place. The shower was broken and hot water seemed to be a luxury too far.
Some of the staff are really helpful but others seem to have given up the unequal struggle.
Everything about this hotel makes me think that it is trapped in a 1970's timewarp.
A lot of the facilities were either shut or clearly broken.
I have been going to Club Tihany for 6 or 7 years and it was never too good but now it has finally passed its sell-by date.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank seniledelinquent78
Reviewed July 11, 2012

The hotel was built under the communist regime and it was renovated later on.
They probably thought they hit the 4 star quality but have to tell they are far from that.
The location is fantastic, beautiful view around (if you are lucky to have a room with nice view) but from their own beach you can enjoy the view too. Tihany itself is like a small casket, really worth to spend some time here visit the old village with its traditional houses, the lavender house at the lake....etc... just discover the area!
Back to the hotel, food at breakfast and dinner was acceptable, but e.g. they have no plain yogurt.
Room are clean but when we entered to the terrace it was full of spider net and was impossible to stay in the terrace because we felt like in a jungle surrounded with spiders and nets.
Forget the air condition, but in the whole hotel! In the room they a liitle cooler function but once we switched off we woke up in the night as we felt so hot we can`t sleep so had to switch on again. At breakfast we were swimming in our perspiration. Once we left the room had to walk through the corridor very hot, and when we were waiting for the elevator it was so hot we can`t stand there. Elevators are sooooo slow.... and one of the three elevator was not working at all.
The bellboy was witty as he asked us if we need help when we were ready and arrived the hotel door from the parking lot, so we no need more help.
The hotel`s beach is nice except that we we entered into the water it was gritty and 120 cm deep so not recommend to families with small kids. Go to the south part of the Lake Balaton with small kids.
Furniture in room is very average and seems like remained from the old era. The remote did not work for the TV.
The top good news is that it is overpriced!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank HappiestMother
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The hotel garden and beach was nice and peaceful. Nice activities organized by the hotel animation team. Atrium bungalows can be recommended for families with small children. In hotel area there was just one beach restaurant which was open until 5pm. The hotel buffet price was too high. There was a nice beach restaurant next to the ferry, some 300 meters from the hotel All other places are in Tihany, 5 minutes by bus. The minimarket was small and did not have a good selection of fruit, vegetables, and no meat at all. For the breakfast it was enough.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The hotel is rather tired both outside and inside. The building is dated and so are the bungalows in the garden, Similarly worn are the bungalows on the inside and the rooms in the main building where you also have to fight insects and encounter dead insects as well. The buffet is a nice memory from the communist area, and the restaurant serves the same food for at least six years. The garden is nice, but many facilities are empty and not functioning anymore which is very sad. The hotel enjoys a nice location just next to the ferry but is a bit far ffrom the village,The service is not too friendly, rather formal. There is not much entertainment available.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Gallusdomesticus
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We spent one week at Club Tihany this August in one of the wine houses.

The best about this hotel is the outmost children friendliness of the resort. You can find a lot's of thing where children can spend their time, slides, Henna, children club etc etc. This certainly was for us a big plus since we were babysitting my brother's children for couple of days and so we were able to relax and enjoy each other's company a little.

The food is decent, but nothing special.

The staff is really friendly.

The bungalow is clean. The bath room could be bigger. The only thing which was a little on the minus side is that the ventillation in the so called wine bungalow where we stayed is not really the best. The temperature was cold inside so this was not a problem, but the air inside was used all the time. We saw some of the so called atrium bungalows which have air conditioning, so I guess ventillation is not a problem there.

Can recommend it for families with kids!

Room Tip: Atrium bungalows because of the better air inside.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Lszi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tihany
Hotel Marina
Ipoly Residence - Executive Hotel Suites
Hotel Azur
Hotel Azur
#3 of 39 in Siofok

Been to Club Tihany? Share your experiences!