“Back to the past”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Sopron
Kiev, Ukraine
“Back to the past”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Location is incredible - in the middle of the forest! You can drink that air - so fresh it is. It is really good to sleep there. I felt like I got back in Soviet times though. Furniture is pretty old but not broken (real wood by the way).Leaking water in the bathroom. I had a very old Philips radio built-in in bed table (had never seen it before!) - some 1960s probably! The atmosphere of a place and the interior is what we could see in Soviet resorts. Breakfast was very good. They claim to be a 4 star hotel. Well, maybe Hungarian stars or for the local place. But I would give 3 stars for location and breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
BiosportLover, General Manager at Hotel Lover, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Alla I,

I sincerely thank you for your review of the Hotel Lövér. The hotel opened in 1983 and was partially rebuilt and refurbished in 1999, so there may be some remaining touches of the past era. We have recently been successfully audited and classified as 4-star hotel in the Hotelstars Union, the most widely used hotel classification system in Europe. I am glad you liked the wonderful location and the breakfast. I hope to see you again in the Hotel Lövér and also to read your comments on TA!

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Slovak first
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed June 24, 2012

The location is very nice, in the middle of a quiet forested area (the Lövér hills), away from the hustle & bustle of the city. And although the hotel is big, it doesn’t seem to be too noisy. Staff of the hotel is friendly & helpful and because of the proximity of Austria receptionists in the hotel and waiters in the nearby restaurants and shops of Sopron actually speak another language than the impossible to comprehend Hungarian. Mostly German of course. Apart from Budapest (certainly one of the more beautiful cities in Europe) where foreign tourists and city trippers are abundant, believe me, this is not at all to be taken for granted in Hungary. And than again, even in Budapest, trying to find for example a police officer or a cashier in a bank or a shop attendant who speaks any foreign language is often like trying to locate the proverbial bilingual needle in the Hungarian unilingual haystack.

OK, back to the Lövér hotel. Really, I think I would be more inclined to give an all in all more positive appraisal of this hotel if they wouldn’t announce themselves as being a 4star hotel! Really! In what parallel hotel universe would that be? The rooms are small (but clean). Bathroom is tiny (but also clean and functional). No AC in the rooms (in a country where temperatures routinely sore above 35°C for weeks). Not unlike the old city center of Sopron, the Lövér hotel is old and it shows it’s age more than a wee bit. A lot of the historical buildings in the city center are literally crumbling and in dire need of restoration (authorities: wake-up call!). Unfortunately, the hotel also could use a thorough makeover to bring it into the 21 century. And I don’t mean just a paintjob. I’m sorry to say but parts of the interior brought back memories to me of the hotels in Soviet era Eastern Europe.

Again, there’s nothing really horribly wrong with this hotel, it’s not like there’s tiles hanging loose from the ceiling, leaking faucets in the bathroom or clunking noises from the plumbing and I really wouldn’t hesitate staying here again, but the owners (Danubius Hotels Group) should get real: two stars, three tops (for the location and the staff). Honestly folks.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank peetersr
, General Manager at Hotel Lover, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Dear Peetersr,

Thank you for your recent review of the Hotel Lövér, we really appreciate your time and effort to give an account on your experiences. Indeed, the building does not belong to the newest properties built in the past years, but we are striving to maintain the state of the hotel as much as possible. We have been recently undergoing the hotel classification audit, which we have passed with 4 stars, so we currently live up to all apprporiate standards. We are trying to remain strong on the service side, and I was pleased to read your relevant notes. I am glad you all in all enjoyed your stay and hope to see you next time at the Lövér!

Tychy
Reviewed June 20, 2012

It passed a couple of days and I am still not convinced what to say about this hotel...it is efinitely not worth 4 star classification however it has some features which match this standard
It is very old building which needs renovation and this unfortunatelly is felt while being in there
The rooms are kept clean which is very positive but still some things are very strange like enterence to your room through a kitchen located in a kind of corridor ...what for if there is not even one plate or pot to cook in and anyway I tink it will not be needed in such hotel...
Swimming pool is very small and there is nly 1 very small operating sauna, fitness programm is avaliable and pretty good...I have especially appreciated the yoga/pilates lesson on thursday -great teacher trying to give also english indicatons, pretty advanced level but you should resist :))
Food in this hotel is a big misunderstanding I must admit unfortunatelly...yes it is true the price is pretty convinient because only with 5 eur plus per person you can get a dinner but you should ask yourself if you really want to do it because the only thing you will find there is a soup...the tables are getting empty right after 20 o'clock even though the dinner is supposed to be served until 22 and this is biggest problem I would say..they are really empty so you will have to satisfy yourself with a soup only ...even if you come early you will find some patataoes and chicken served every day so I would nt choose this option once again - hungerian food is very good and I would be much happier if I had no dinner option and had a dinner in a restaurant nearby with e.g great hungerian gulash :) one thing I would reccomend to the management of the restaurant - put all dishes in one place and it would not look sooo empty...different stuff is located in different tables of the restaurant like cheeses, salads, soup etc and then your main course table is REALLY empty...people would have much less feeling about t if you placed it all together... braekfast is better in my opinion, big choice from sausages and eggs to salads and sweet mediterranian breakfast options even there are options for diabetics which is very positive. Good staff and waiters -special thank you to Szabo the waiter, very proffesisional approach :) Generaly speaking this hotel you can see is oriented to elder guests and in this case it is not bad option to be chosen..nice location inthe forest , very quiet and calm
If it comes for me instead I think next time I would choose a simple private guesthouse and be happy with local restaurants in the town beacause anyway hungerian 4 starts hotels are still remembering the old times and in a way are not really worth it's price...
Last but not least Hungary is still grat place to visit whatsoever :)))))

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hotel Lover, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear Topolinco,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your recent review on the Hotel Lövér. We really appreciate your intention to share your findings with us and the public and give a fair, objective picture of what you experienced. We are sorry to read you found the buffet dinner system misunderstanding. With better communication by our staff, it would have been made clear that the buffet tables are not refilled to full until closing time, instead if the guest does not find anything to his taste, the waiters should immediately recommend him something to his liking. We apologize this did not happen. As for the entrance to the room, the suites, indeed, contain a small kitchen where you can use some basic facilities (heater fridge etc.), especially practical for those with babies/little kids. There is no admittance, however, into this little room from outside, as the door is closed. The room is supposed to be entered through the "normal" door from the corridor. If this was not the case on your stay, we do apologize. Thank you again for your kind effort and hope to see you again despite your decision to avoid hotels in the future :-)

Kharkiv, Ukraine
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This hotel is nice – no great changes since last visit but…. Breakfast is little disappointing – from meat – only not tasty sausages.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
BiosportLover, e-commerce sales manager at Hotel Lover, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Dear dimonchik2000,

Thank you for posting your comment on tripadvisor, and especially for giving excellent ratings for each servive category. We will higly consider your comment on the breakfast. We hope the next time you visit our hotel everything will be completely to your satisfaction. We are looking forward to welcoming you again!
Caldaro sulla Strada del Vino, Italy
Reviewed May 21, 2012

The hotel is a little aged as the previous reviewer said, but this is the acquired personality of the hotel. It is not new, so don't expect it to be new. The rooms are clean and the staff are helpful. The beautiful location is in Sopron nestled in a protected forest area. The room with a balcony overlooked the trees with peace and quiet. Very relaxing! The carpet in the hallway was worn and needed to be removed. Breakfast buffet was nice. The fresh breads were located in a distant corner and took a few moments to discover. The fresh fruits were on top of the buffet, also not noticeable at first glance. The dining room is formal with floor to ceiling windows. The window awning is helpful for the morning sun in the dining room. There were many foreign language TV channels for tourists from various countries. I am ready to return for another stay...

Room Tip: overlooking the trees
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
BiosportLover, e-commerce sales manager at Hotel Lover, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear Dallasangelgirl,

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Lövér for your recent stay. We were pleased to read your review and also to see you had a nice stay with us and enjoyed the peace and quiet, which are so much an indispensable part of the place. We also appreciate and will consider your notes on things to improve. We hope, as you also said, you will return to us some day for another stay worth remembering. We are looking forward to seeing you again at the Hotel Lövér!
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We went for the long weekend in Hungary for 4 days.

Building:The hotel building itself from the outside looks a little jaded and run down. Inside, it is well decorated, and the rooms themselves are perhaps 3 rather than 4 stars.

Service: The service in general was superb. Efficient and friendly, there was always someone available, and they were always polite.

Programs: As an organised long weekend, there were also organised programs. Most of these were good, and I particularly enjoyed the tour around the hotel kitchen with the head chef, and the quiz associated with this.

Food: The food was very good with a wide choice, and it was continually replaced on the buffet dinner so that everything was available.

Wellness: I tried the wellness once and it was of a good standard and clean. The gym was well equipped, and there were 2 Finnish saunas available, one for those wanting to go nude, one for those who prefer to wear a bathing costume

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mogwaiman
BiosportLover, e-commerce sales manager at Hotel Lover, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Dear Mogwaiman,

I sincerely thank you for your review on your recent stay at the Hote Lövér. We were really striving to get appropriately prepared for this long weekend period with programmes and staff attitude, and it was great to read about your appreciation. But as they say: only good guests make a good hotel :-), so I thank you again for coming and paying attention to all details, and of course for sharing your comments with us. We hope to see you next time at the Lövér!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2011

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. The breakfast was delicious. If I come back to Hungary this is where I would stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank james160672
BiosportLover, General Manager at Hotel Lover, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Dear james160672,

I was pleased to read your review on your recent stay at the Hotel Lövér. It was especially nice to read your comment on our staff, who is indeed one of the things our guests tend to appreciate about us. Thanks again and we are looking forward to seeing you next time at the Lövér! Best regards, Robert Sandorfi - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sopron
Pannonia Hotel
#7 of 12 in Sopron
Szidonia Manor House
Szidonia Manor House
#1 of 1 in Rojtokmuzsaj

Been to Hotel Lover? Share your experiences!