“Want Sushi? Find it elsewhere.”
Review of Sushi Fans - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sushi Fans
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I don't know what I expected as far as sushi in Pecs was, but I didn't expect it to be quite as bad as it was. That said; let me start with the positives: the staff is great. They are kind and courteous. I happened to spill my drink and they brought me another one no charge (a coke; it was expected, but was still nice). Secondly, location. This is located right off of the main square, down one of the cobblestone roads. There are many restaurants in this area, though. This becomes a negative for this sushi place. Unless you need sushi NOW (in Pecs) I can't recommend eating here.

For the negative I will give two examples. First the California roll is made with Salmon. I have lived my entire life in California, and I can promise you that a California roll does not have salmon in it. It has crab. Wrong fish. I told the sushi chef (and owner) that this wasn't right. I laughed a little bit as I did . . . I mean, this was a joke right? Wrong. "This is how a California roll is made in Europe." I've had sushi in Europe . . . all over Europe, in fact. I can tell you this isn't true. I didn't want to argue with him, though. They should take that roll off the menu or change the name. (And, to credit their reasoning, the best thing I had there was with salmon).

Secondly, the majority of the fish was not good. There is no getting around this. Whether I came on an off day or not is up for you to decide. Everything tasted like it had been frozen to death (we are in Hungary, but most of this was extra bad). Some of the dishes, like Salmon Roe, which I love and eat all the time, nearly made me throw up then and there. Perhaps one of the nastiest things I have ever eaten; I felt badly nauseas for the rest of the night and eventually did throw up the entire meal hours later. I bought most everything sushi/sashimi on the menu to try. It's a good thing I saved that for last (thinking it would be wonderful), because after I ate it I quickly paid the bill vowing never to return.

I can't recommend this restaurant. It is fairly new so perhaps you want to try it and see for yourself. My advice: don't. Especially if something doesn't change with the menu and the fish.

3  Thank Nolan S
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I'm writing this because Sushi Fans has just recently opened, and as an expatriate resident of Pecs and European traveler, I couldn't be happier. Hungary is lovely, but let's face it, (as in my case) its cuisine isn't for everybody all the time. For those looking for something lighter than sour cream and liver, there's very little you could desire more than sushi - and this is the real thing!
Sushi Fans sits upon one of the most picturesque walking streets in Pecs, just past the sculptures on Jokai Square, and has an outdoor deck area with a nice, almost Mediterranean vibe; indoors it has a modern-ish but stylishly Japanese decor and full sushi bar, as well as tables. It's owned by a Burundian fellow who's trained in Scandanavia, Deo - an unabashedly friendly and generous person who'll welcome you warmly, as will the chefs. Pour yourself some real sake rice wine...
Okay, but what really matters: sushi! After wishing desperately for real sushi here in Pecs, at last - truly fresh raw seafood (or cooked Japanese dishes, if you prefer) and a variety of nigiri, including vegetarian. I suppose there isn't such a broad variety of specific, complex rolls (most of them feature salmon, but soooo fresh), but that doesn't bother me, and I'm a picky person; a good chef needs pure materials, and they've certainly got it here. Like any sushi place anywhere in the world, prices are higher than the typical dishes in average restaurants, but my spouse and I came home sighing blissfully, with happy stomachs and no regrets. It's worth going here on all counts - I know we certainly will.

Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

The food is very good,the atmosphere is welcoming and the staff is friendly. A new restaurant in town. Promising.

1  Thank evicska