“middle of plains, not much around, friendly”
Review of Gereby Kuria Hotel

and 1 more site!
Gereby Kuria Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Lajosmizse B&B and Inns
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“middle of plains, not much around, friendly”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Overall - seems a great place for Hungarian weddings, but otherwise not sure why people would stay here. Stayed here for a friends wedding in July - the staff were very friendly - with varying amounts of English, from some to none. The main English speaker at reception had a very dry sense of humour. Making a reservation was interesting - no credit cards or deposits required - bookings by phone only. We hired a car (stuck in my sat nav) and drove down to the hotel - about 40 mins if there aren't any traffic problems, all on dual carriageway. the roads were fine but Hungarians appear to be appalling drivers, overtaking on the inside and outside, even going on to the hard shoulder to overtake! In the short journey to the hotel due to 3 crashes we passed, and a man who stopped in the outside lane /fast lane of the dual carriageway to have a pee (in the central reservation!) . Our jouney down actually took about 1.5 hours as a result.

The rooms were clean and in good shape, everything worked. Hungarian TV shows and the BBC news. We couldn't open our door with the key and someone from reception had to open it - about 4 or 5 times, until we go the hang of it - it required vigourous shaking. On the second day the handle fell off - but someone came and fixed it.

Food - be prepared for meat and carbs, with extra meat and carbs on the side. If you want veg you may be lucky and get a mushrooom with your meat.

The hotel grounds are nice - there are the horse stables and there is a horse show - which is very good with well trained horses (although I am no expert). There was a pool, but it didn;t look too clean. We played table tennis, and walked and cycled around the grounds.

The neighbouring village is tiny - you can hire knackered old bikes for 500 HUF a day, but there is very little tourism attractions nearby to cycle to. The neighbouring village of Lajosmizse is small and sells decent coffees, and there are some small shops and a church - nowhere sells postcards.

Woudl I go there again - probably not - simply because there is nothing to do there and no where to go. May be good if you like being in agricultural plains with nothing nearby

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Pensacola
Reviewed September 13, 2010

We were supposed to stay here 2 nights and didn't even stay one. After we checked in we went to our room and found what seemed to be a fairly clean room but it was filled with flies. We went to explore the property and it seemed deserted and dark. The so called spa was no more than some old exercise equipment, a very small cold pool and some sauna rooms. The areas were all dark except for a small corner bar with one lone bartender talking on a phone. We walked around the outside and it was much smaller than what appears on their website. Plus, more flies. After our short walk we decided to try the restaurant. It was the worst meal of our 18 day trip in Europe, but the flies seemed to like it a lot.
My friend had been promised that she would be able to ride a Hungarian warm blood, but this didn't happen. She wasn't very happy with her 1 hour horse walk around their rink. I stayed in the room killing flies and watching the 1 english speaking channel on tv.
We ended up checking out the same day we arrived and we wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone travelling together. Maybe just maybe if you were having a company retreat and there were planned activities, but even then I thought the food was very sub par and flies were way to numerous.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed September 9, 2010

This hotel totally misrepresented themselves to me. Before I went I SPECIFICALLY asked for the "larger hotel room" and what I wanted in a riding experience as I ride at home and wanted to experience certain horses. They said they could accommodate me. I still have the emails. I got the "small hotel room" and it was FULL of flies. My friend ended up swatting flies while I tried to go riding. I explained to them in my emails that I rode English Dressage at home and wanted to ride a Hungarian Warmblood as I was interest in purchasing one. They gave me some kind of Hungarian sport horse you ride on a trail. Wasn't trained at all. There is no English TV, no hair dryer, no access to the internet, either by WiFi or in a community business center. The food was cold. There is no safe in the room. You can't even make a phone call from your room. You have to go down to reception to make a call. We left the same day we came. Didn't even bother to stay for the horse show. It probably would have been a bust also. Their website looks great and they promise you all kinds of things, but don't deliver. Don't go here!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank gypsygirl16
Brighton
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Have you ever seen 76 middle aged Brits jumping up and down to a live gypsy band doing Hungarian dances at 11pm while the hog was roasting and the wine was flowing? What a fabulous Friday night we had.
We got married in Budapest and thought it would be nice to organize a Hungarian countryside experience for our British friends. We stayed there Friday night and watched a horse show on Saturday morning.
Great value hotel. Very friendly relaxed atmosphere. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2010
Debrecen, Hungary
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Hungarian Desert as the locals called the area.
Puszta horse carriages, relaxation, wellness is everything here, fantastic food, polite service.
Yet there is no air conditioning in the room is too small outbuildings and a lot of fly or mosquito, which are due to a lot of annoyance!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business