“Beautiful thermal lake”

Heviz Geothermal Lake Private Tour from Budapest
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Heviz
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The lake of Hévíz is the biggest biologically active, natural medicinal water in the world. Its temperature is affected by the combination of cold and hot spring waters coming from underground. The medicinal water breaks out from the spring cave on the surface at the rate of approx. 410 litres per second and with a temperature of 40°C. According to that delivery, the water in the lake changes every three and a half days and keeps uniformly clean.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Southport, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Beautiful thermal lake”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stopped by at the Heviz lake on the way to Nagykanizsa, and I'm glad we did. I have never been before myself, mainly because it's on the other end of the Balaton from a Budapest point of view. After paying the entrance fee of 2000 HUF (about £5.50, and about half the price of any thermal spa in Budapest), we went in the unisex changing rooms. It didn't bother me whatsoever as we only had one bag with us, so it was more convenient for me and my girlfriend.
Having noticed later on that they only take responsibility for items kept at the reception I took my valuables there and received a clumsy big wooden key to attach to my changing room wrist-key. Unfortunately as it's so bulky, the chain of the key broke in the middle of the swimming, and as it's like 20m deep, impossible to find. So off I went and explained the situation and they were really helpful, guaranteed they won't give my stuff away to anyone that may find the key and I can just get it when we were departing. I thought it was nice that they didn't raise any fuss as I was rather worried.
Anyway the thermal lake was awesome. We ended up enjoying it mostly outside rather than inside, as it was around 10C outside in the air and raining, yet there we were in the 27C water swimming around without any problem. It was really cool. My girlfriend really enjoyed it as well. I was surprised how many Slavic people seemed to be around though, my family in Nagykanizsa also said there are Russians buying up many properties around Heviz as well. At any rate Heviz is a blast, well recommended, especially during the winter months.

Visited March 2014

29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Interesting experience”
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

We visited the lake twice during one week holiday in the area. The lake was fine both times, slightly warmer water during the second visit. The changing room is the same for both men and women, although it's the same in all the spas in Hungary. There were changing cubicles though so one could get changed in own privacy. We also had access to the sauna world, not quite what we had expected but it was ok. The steam room was the best. They have so called Finnish sauna in there, however it's not quite the same than what we are used to in Finland.

Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Lots of things to improve”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

1. The dressing room is one for both women and men. Though some like it, but I believe the amjority of people prefer separate rooms.
2. TAKE THE TOWEL AND BATHROBE WITH YOU! you can rent these inside main bath zone but you need to take your wallet with you - a bit inconvenient, given that you can not leave it in the bath zone (unless when you are in the water someone else guards your belongings) and have to compe back to the dressing room. You have to retrun bath robe and towel as well - so after the shower and changing your clothes you have to come back again to the main bath zone to return what you rented (to receive the collateral back). Plust the towels for rent are really samll and the price of renatal is above the reasonable level.
3. Service people (except for reception) are not very friendly and speaks english very poorly - maybe we were not lucky enough on that day.
4. The lake is great - especially swimming outside!!
Bottom line - the lake is great, it really helped my knee joints, but the infrastrucure is to be imporved.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Dmitry M
Ljubljana, Slovenia
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Nice lake but problems in the sauna world”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Thermal lake is definitely worth seeing and swimming . Especially in the winter months is a pleasant swimming at approx. 27 degrees between water lilies. Bathing part would need a few more showers that would not be necessary to wait in line! It can also be quite crowded in the summer months.

Disappointing is the so-called world of saunas. Staff speaks only Hungarian, so our comments did not help. Towels were not available (first time experience), so we have to use your own. There is apparently no tradition of sauning, as most visitors go to the sauna in a swimsuit and even in flip-flops!! In a steam bath, no one washes his/hers seat behind - we were even blamed when we did it ?! Guests are quite loud (chatting and laughing ), although the signs point to the silence in the sauna. Most beneficiaries of saunas cool themselves in a special cold pool without taking shower first - quite disgusting. There is only one toilet (ladies and gentlemen together ) for the entire world of saunas.

I think we're finished with this spa forever ...

Visited December 2013
2 Thank dean1962
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Best swim!”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I was here for a couple of days in July and the water is amazing, my first time swimming in a lake, it beats the cold Atlantic Sea that's for sure.

In general Balaton is a friendly, relaxed family place and there was plenty of space for everyone.
The food was good - I tried a traditional Hungarian food (can't remember the name) and it was fine, probably a million calories but that' half the reason it was so good.

The one minus is the toilet facilities - they are not great at all and should be avoided if you can manage it.

Visited July 2013