“Amazing”

NaturMed Hotel Carbona
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Heviz
Reviewed September 3, 2013

What an experience! Any place that you can walk around in a robe all day is a hit with me!!! The pools are amazing, the staff are friendly and the rooms are perfect. Beautiful scenery, walking distance to local shops and markets, depending on the time of the year. I will definitely make the effort to go back!

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I am a world traveler, and this hotel would never be a choice for me. But I come here to accompany my parents and have a family vacation. I have been at this place for this reason a few times so my review is based on many experiences.

This is an old communist hotel which has not been able to bring itself to the 21 st century wellness industry. It is trying, but it is filled with old habits every step of the way. Perhaps the reason is that the staff and management are still old Hungarians who do not know how the world and this industry had progressed. The staff is focused on doing their job as they always have and they don't necessarily focus on the customer and their needs.

The food reminds me of the food of our school cafeteria. The supplies look like they are from Tesco. Te meats, the cheeses, the vegetables, the fruits they are all low quality without fail. The coffee is horrid. I usually just ignore the meals and go out and eat out, because I can not stand the mediocracy at Carbona. The hotel rooms are a luck of a daw, if one gets a room facing the town forget the restful stay. Those rooms are noisy and hot in the summer.

The a/c does not work properly in the rooms. It has two options of being on, and cooling some, but they are very noisy or being off, in which case in the heat the room is unbearable. Each time we have visited upon our arrival the a/c was on in our room, and the windows were open. Clearly the staff do not understand that those are mutually exclusive.

The beds are just twin mattresses pushed next to each other, and not great quality mattresses, as one would expect from a wellness place. The bottom sheets are flat sheets and they do not stay put on the soft mattresses, and waking up one will find that they are sleeping on the mattress cover.

The bathrooms are outfitted with liquid soap containers, but the soap is watered down and useless, so I have been bringing my own. Currently our toilet lid is lose, so each time we need to use the bathroom, I refit the lid.

The ramp to get into the hotel is so steep that I many times slid backwards in my sandals while I was pushing up my stroller. There is no way a disabled person in a wheelchair can manage the degree of slope. there is no direct elevator from the parking lot to the hotel. It is really disappointing considering that this place is supposedly catering for people with various disabilities and ailments. The gift shop could offer arts and crafts from the region to feature Hungaricum, and to create demand for local artisans, instead it sells stuff looking cheap and utterly out of fashion or touch with the times.

There is a beautiful bird in the foyer. I personally feel bad for it, as it is encased in a small area. I think it would be much nicer and fitting with the spirituality of wellness to have a water feature there instead of an prisoned animal.

We pay USD150 for this per person, per night BEFORE treatments which are at a higher price obviously than the Hungarian price range. At these rates all the above become quite upsetting.

I think there is a lot of potential lost and this place could be much better and deserving the 4 stars if there was a complete management overhaul.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Hasznos-Munro-groupp
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The staff was extremely friendly ,trying to fulfill all our wishes.The place is really very relaxing,emphasize on the pools ,water temperature is mentioned .Impressed by the cleanlines of dinning room.As a minus i should mention that although the beds are advertised as twin or double beds,the rooms contain only twin beds

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Urys
Reviewed April 11, 2013

In the hotel are thermal baths and numerous therapeutic and wellness opportunities all year round! The thermal baths are in the style of Roman. The thermal bath is very good for painful articular disease. The hotel is located in the centre of the town in an arboretum-like park. There is also a Feng Shui garden. There are pleasant air-conditioned rooms, abundant, tasty, great variety of Hungarian and international foods, reform dishes, indoor and outdoor activity pools, massage jets, 25 meters long indoor swimming pool. Nearby is the largest thermal hot water, natural lake in Europe.
The staff is very friendly, polite, courteous. We spent a very pleasant week there, and as often as we can, we go back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank globussavaria
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Recently my wife and I spent a week in this lovely hotel. It is not the "klein und fein" category. To the contrary, it is a huge operation, the "ehmalige" Coalminers Union's holiday home.This is the reason of its new name (Carbonara). But dont be afraid. It is perfectly designed perfectly done up to the minor details and perfectly maintained hotel. Rooms are clean and well kept (#1208). Bathroom is perfect, food is delicious and has a huge variety of buffet breakfast and buffet dinner. The staff is extremely kind, helpful and EFFICIENT (!)Facilities, like swimming pool, sauna, treatment pools are clean and well managed. Eating places (coffee shop, dining room) are pleasant. Drinks, coffee etc.are extremely expensive relative to average Hungarian prices but we understand that hotels can make a little extra profit on this. Good for them. Tipping system is good, because to all kind of extras 15 pc service fee automatically added to the bill (charged to your room or pay in cash), so dont need to worry how much you tip the staff. A little extra of course expected at the and of your stay at the little casbox in the dining room. Mgrs like the F&B Mgr is excellent, special thanks goes to him. Dear CEO ((Dr V.?) I do suggest you to inform people who is the designer and who, which company is the one which designed and built so perfectly, using their brain, the whole facility. And special thanks goes to the owners to those who had the "heart" to spend money to the plenty of marble and quality material and have "heart" to spend to maintain the facility including the flowers. Nobody will be disappointed with this hotel and again, thanks to the staff for making our stay very pleasant.

Room Tip: 1208 is good
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Fred H
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We spend a few days here . I would say it is nice - if it is not the best in Hévíz. The pools are good. The restaurant and food is also nice but sometimes busy as others wrote. The staff is good and friendly, the wellness is refreshing. The rooms are not small but really fallen off a bit in the past years. We always love to go there and spend a very nice stay there. I think it worth trying it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank phillip_stjames
Reviewed June 23, 2012

It will take you a few days to get around all of the in a hotel not rushing.. (we discovered the outdoor pool only on 4th day after our arrival). That's be much easier if stuff in the hotel could speak English. Honestly, it's quite pathetic. They speak German and a little bit of Russian (those are 2 major groups of customer it seems, I'm one of them :-)). But English is spoken on a reception (even some receptionists are struggling a bit), some doctors know a few words. That's all (no hotel signs, hardly any brochures). But this is not my main complain. Unfortunately, you have to figure out what's going on and how everything is arranged by yourself, so paying quite a lot for your stay you can actually waste some time or better say, having this information you could use your time more efficiently.

As about spa treatments, I got an impression, doctors are not taking serious some conditions you may have which can restrict you from something, also they don't tell much on how to use this stuff. For example, swimming in the lake, I discover on the day of our departure that you're not suppose to wear silver while swimming (before that I was wondering why my silver ring gets purple :-))

Yeah, it's definitely worth going for amazing huge and mostly deserted pool (lots of people are sitting around the age not doing anything), spas, some nice treatments and obviously the lake. I would check on what treatments they have and consult your doctor at home country first on all of that stuff, this way you get much more out of your time.

Oh, yeah, forgot to say - food is amazing, plenty of choice but better take HF since lunch and dinner are repeated

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple