“Asparagus with mozzarella and ham... :)”
Review of John Bull Pub

John Bull Pub
Ranked #7 of 74 Restaurants in Gyor
Cuisines: Bar, European, Pub, Central European, Hungarian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Sweden
“Asparagus with mozzarella and ham... :)”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Nice pub-restaurant with decent prices. Helpful and nice personnel. The Hungarian plates are very good (our friends from Hungary had soup - of course - for a starter) and I had asparagus which was super-good.

Visited May 2013

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Papa, Hungary
“Best variety of fish offerings between Gyor-Papa-Balaton”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I received a recommendation from one of my colleagues here in Papa about this British Pub...I didn't even know it existed. When I checked reviews on Trip Advisor, I found that it was amongst the highest rated etterems (restaurants) in Gyor. Not a typical British Pub...they do show football, but in my 6-7 visits, the television has never been on. They also do not have typical British offerings found in a pub other than fish (nice size portion of fish) and chips (lukewarm and limp and left me uninterested in eating many) and I love fish and seafood, so I've primarily concentrated on that portion of the menu. They specialize in Hungarian cuisine as do most restaurants not in Budapest, but their offerings are high quality and fresh. They have a lightly dusted trout (I believe) in almondine...while I found mine a little dry, it was a nice portion of whole fish and I would try this again as it reminded me a bit of home. The best fish offering is the grilled Balaton Walleye with roasted potatoes and letcho (stewed onions, tomato and I think peppers). The letcho adds great flavor to the fillet of walleye usually served in a reasonable sized portion and fresh. Try the chicken, chili, lime soup...very spicy and the best non-Hungarian soup I've had in this country. Oh, and they do a nice, strong cappucino...hard to find in these parts.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank RussellK105
Larvik, Norway
“Good food in true pub atmosphere”
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Been here several times when in Gyor. I like the interior here and the quality of the food. Service has always been good and the place seems very popular with the locals. Would recommend it to any visitor for either food or just drinking.

1 Thank Torgrim S
Vientiane, Laos
“Best quiality in town”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

You cannot find any better restaurant in town I think, though I tried several. Very high standard in quality, enormous portions and wide choise of food. You find some really traditional Hungarian dishes as it has to be made according to the original receipt. On the other hand the international cuisine is also very good. Big selection of beers and wines and spirits. I can recommend this restaurant for all.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank tapfelspitz a
Krakow, Poland
“excellent quality,polite,fast service, good”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Visited this restaurant last week, and it was awesome! Asked local people about fine restaurants in town, and they recommended John Bull Pub. Good location, great atmosphere, season menu, wide variety of hungarian and english cousine, friendly english and german speaking staff . The food was very tasty and big potion. Thanks, we 'll defenetly back soon!!!

• Visited October 2012